Hey everyone! I can't wait to meet class of 2021! 

Regarding nice areas to live- I recommend Brookhaven or Buckhead. Traffic is AWFUL in Atlanta, but you would be going against traffic in these places. I live in Lilburn and will probably sit in 1.5 hours of traffic on the way to school. Don't move here lol.

Gyms- The Mercer gym isn't awful. If you plan to go before classes in the morning you shouldn't have any problems finding equipment. I plan to save money where I can so I'll be using the school gym as long as I can stand it.

Financial aid- My email said that I would receive my financial package info in January too. I have a few friends in the 2019 class and they said it has always been last minute for them as well but not to stress. Everyone was able to cover tuition. I am sure they will go over this more at orientation!

On ‎5‎/‎13‎/‎2018 at 5:44 PM, sav11 said:

Does anyone know when we will get more information? I know school doesn't start for quite a while but I'm interested to know if/when there's an accepted students day/orientation/etc.

Based off this year's calendar it looks like the real orientation will be the first week of January! Then school starts the second week of January 

On 5/17/2018 at 11:01 PM, Roadtopaspac said:

Congrats to you too ! Wow you're really close so you must know the area really well. Are there any good gyms around ? The school gym is kind of small so certain machines might be preoccupied with how many students go to the school. 

I'm not sure where you would send final transcripts. I would email Mrs. Laura Ellison. She's in charge of the admissions.

Hey! So there’s a really nice LA fitness in Atlantic station but that would be a little out of your way. Any life time fitness would be good! Since I went to Georgia State for undergrad I just used the facility there. 

• 2 weeks later...
On 6/1/2018 at 2:41 PM, Nay09 said:

Hey! So there’s a really nice LA fitness in Atlantic station but that would be a little out of your way. Any life time fitness would be good! Since I went to Georgia State for undergrad I just used the facility there. 

I think I might stick with the facility. I plan to go in the morning so hopefully not many people will be up! 

On 5/27/2018 at 11:30 AM, hannah1218 said:

Hey Everyone I'm excited to meet you all and get started! I originally from Middletown, NJ but now live in Washington DC so Eem22 we are probably not that far from each other! I'll plan to move to the area sometime in December. Does anyone have recommendations for housing close by with reasonable rent? I remember the students saying that there was on campus housing but that very few students actually live there. 

Regarding financial aid, I e-mailed the office last week and they said that we would be hearing back starting in June!

Hope everyone is having a good holiday weekend!

Congrats on getting in! I've been looking for apartments and I know that helios and regency square have mercer discounts.  They are also really close to the school. 

On 5/30/2018 at 11:57 AM, prePA9876 said:

Hey everyone! I can't wait to meet class of 2021! 

Regarding nice areas to live- I recommend Brookhaven or Buckhead. Traffic is AWFUL in Atlanta, but you would be going against traffic in these places. I live in Lilburn and will probably sit in 1.5 hours of traffic on the way to school. Don't move here lol.

Gyms- The Mercer gym isn't awful. If you plan to go before classes in the morning you shouldn't have any problems finding equipment. I plan to save money where I can so I'll be using the school gym as long as I can stand it.

Financial aid- My email said that I would receive my financial package info in January too. I have a few friends in the 2019 class and they said it has always been last minute for them as well but not to stress. Everyone was able to cover tuition. I am sure they will go over this more at orientation!

I live in Lilburn too! That said, I am constantly debating whether or not I will move closer to the area for school. I've been living with my parents since finishing undergrad and would love to be able to save money while in school but the commute worries me. I currently work in Atlanta and lose HOURS of my life daily traveling back and forth, which as we know, aren't really available to lose while in school. Wondering what anyone else in a similar situation is thinking. Also, I know a bit about the Atlanta area having been here my whole life so I can probably provide some sort of help to anyone who needs it in regards to info about the area.

51 minutes ago, sav11 said:

I live in Lilburn too! That said, I am constantly debating whether or not I will move closer to the area for school. I've been living with my parents since finishing undergrad and would love to be able to save money while in school but the commute worries me. I currently work in Atlanta and lose HOURS of my life daily traveling back and forth, which as we know, aren't really available to lose while in school. Wondering what anyone else in a similar situation is thinking. Also, I know a bit about the Atlanta area having been here my whole life so I can probably provide some sort of help to anyone who needs it in regards to info about the area.

I have a 1.5 hour commute too and I'm definitely going to move closer only because, from my experience of living near atlanta, highway accidents happen a lot especially on I285 and I85 .I would hate to get stuck in traffic because of an accident. That would increase wait time. Driving also makes me sleepy lol not good if I want to go home and study after a long day.

1 hour ago, Roadtopaspac said:

I have a 1.5 hour commute too and I'm definitely going to move closer only because, from my experience of living near atlanta, highway accidents happen a lot especially on I285 and I85 .I would hate to get stuck in traffic because of an accident. That would increase wait time. Driving also makes me sleepy lol not good if I want to go home and study after a long day.

I agree! My commute is not quite as long. I actually pass Mercer on my way to work some days and it is about ~40 minutes from my house during somewhat high traffic hours (I can get there without getting on the highway which helps), so not SO much time but enough to make me question if going further into debt for rent is worth a ~10 minute commute instead! 

I hear you. Going to Mercer from my house takeso 40 minutes (not at traffic time) but with the time we get in and out of school that's what makes it 1.5 hours. It took me so long to get to my interview lol but like you said I'm using the highway and you're not so it might not be that bad. Honestly some people commute an hour for their job but then again they don't have to study after. It's all up to you ! If money is a big thing for you then save save save because gas is 3 dollars lol 

Congratulations everyone! I got a call last week that I have been accepted. Not sure if you guys felt the same way but it doesn't feel real yet. ? I'm beyond excited!

I know that someone mentioned about moving to Brookhaven. I've been living here for a year and absolutely recommend it. Please let me know if you have any questions about the area. I would love to help in any way I can. (Feel free to e-mail me at laisacostaq@hotmail.com)

Also, we should all plan to meet and celebrate. Can't wait to meet all of you!

36 minutes ago, Lc12pa said:

Congratulations everyone! I got a call last week that I have been accepted. Not sure if you guys felt the same way but it doesn't feel real yet. ? I'm beyond excited!

I know that someone mentioned about moving to Brookhaven. I've been living here for a year and absolutely recommend it. Please let me know if you have any questions about the area. I would love to help in any way I can. (Feel free to e-mail me at laisacostaq@hotmail.com)

Also, we should all plan to meet and celebrate. Can't wait to meet all of you!

Congrats!! Can’t wait to meet everyone! I’m down to go out and celebrate at some point! 

Hey guys! Can’t wait to meet you. 

Housing: I currently live in east Atlanta village for anyone who is looking for houses over apartments. It’ll be about a 30-40 minute commute for me and the housing prices there are currently pretty cheap for nice houses.

Gyms: for anyone who likes climbing, Mercer’s campus is actually right across the street from one of the biggest climbing gyms. They also have a regular gym and things like yoga and abs classes. I’m a member for anyone who would want to check it out.

also, I have a question. Are there generally breaks between the semesters? If so, how long are they? I’m an overplanner so I’m already thinking about it haha

7 hours ago, Victoria123 said:

Hey guys! Can’t wait to meet you. 

Housing: I currently live in east Atlanta village for anyone who is looking for houses over apartments. It’ll be about a 30-40 minute commute for me and the housing prices there are currently pretty cheap for nice houses.

Gyms: for anyone who likes climbing, Mercer’s campus is actually right across the street from one of the biggest climbing gyms. They also have a regular gym and things like yoga and abs classes. I’m a member for anyone who would want to check it out.

also, I have a question. Are there generally breaks between the semesters? If so, how long are they? I’m an overplanner so I’m already thinking about it haha

Heyy! Congrats on getting in. Is that commute time for traffic hours as well?

Yes there are breaks between the semesters. It looks like they vary. Here's a link to the calendar https://registrar.mercer.edu/atlanta/calendar-atl-chp.cfm

We also get every holiday off it looks like and we get a spring break so that's good

Hey guys!

I can't wait to meet everyone! I currently live in an apartment complex (Seven Springs) that is less than 10 minutes from campus , so if anyone has any questions about the area just let me know! 

@Victoria123 I also have a Stone Summit membership and would love to climb together sometime! 

I would also be down to go celebrate with everyone at some point! 

• 3 weeks later...

@Lc12pa I got accepted on Valentine's Day, and it is JUST NOW starting to feel real! Haha now that we're finally 6 months out, I'm finally starting to get excited about school and the move to Atlanta because it doesn't feel like the start date is so far away anymore! 

Y'all please let me know if any of you end up planning a night out to celebrate! Like I said previously, I live in SC, but I have family in GA and could probably plan to meet up with everyone some time to celebrate if I have some advance notice!

@Lindsey12 Thanks for mentioning your apartment complex near campus! I am planning to look at a few complexes close to campus towards the end up the month to get an idea about the options and how best to budget for rent, so I'll have to look into Seven Springs if they have any apartments available! Since you live pretty close, could you possibly tell me about the utilities at your complex? Like how much water/electricity typically costs in the area and if you know the names of your utility companies? 

@Cookie821 Congratulations on your acceptance! Our water/sewage/trash is billed through our apartment complex so I am not sure of the utility company, but it is usually about $60 per month for a 2 bedroom/ 2 bathroom apartment. Our electric bill is ~$150 a month on average through Georgia Power (the most common electric company in Georgia) for a top floor apartment. It can get as low as $100 in the winter, and as high as $200 in the summer (we keep our AC around 73 during the day and tun it down to 68/69 at night). Let me know if you have any other questions! 

@Victoria123 Yes, I was really hoping there would be a climber in our class as well. I'd love to climb before/after class! It'll be a great study break! I'm so glad it is so close to campus. 

@sav11 I live in Marietta and am planning on trying to stay here and commute. I also live with my parents. It is just so much more money to take out in loans when you factor in how much rent and bills cost. Obviously if its too much and I feel like I am losing too much time, I will move closer to campus. But that is my plan for now!

I currently commute too, and it does suck. But again the money is just such a big difference!

Cant wait to meet everyone in November at orientation!!!

• 2 weeks later...

No, I keep checking for the FB page each week, but still nothing that I have seen. We got that email almost a month ago that said the FB page would be made within the next few weeks, but apparently it still hasn't happened yet. I'm getting antsy, though, so I hope it happens soon!

• 3 months later...
Guest cgarbison

Hello! I have a question for y'all. I have an interview coming up in December, and I was wondering if there were any specific questions that you remember being asked in your interviews that were different than the typical ones that everyone prepares for. 

Thanks!

Archived