2018-2019 Application cycle

Guest isiddik

• Replies 495
  • Created
  • Last Reply
On 6/11/2018 at 11:59 PM, hmtpnw said:

Can you elaborate more on your experience applying and interviewing last year?

First time applicant this year! Nervous and excited to finally be submitting. 

It was my first interview so I was pretty excited/nervous. Honestly, my experience wasn’t any different from what I found from others online. It was a nice chance to learn more about the program and ask questions directly to current students. The interview itself was pretty standard, and the format is in their site. (I am not saying that to be snide- just to say it was exactly as expected!)

As far as the application process, the supplemental applications were sent out later in the summer. It wasn’t anything surprising, either. Just standard questions about you and your experience, and an additional place to write a small essay to basically let them know why you’re interested in Duke/why you think you’re a good fit! 

On 5/18/2018 at 3:07 AM, AG25 said:

I am currently on the waitlist for a different program from the last cycle. Did you change your personal statement a lot? Or any thing in the supplemental applications??

I did not change my personal statement. I thought about it, but my story about what led me to this point remains unchanged! 

As far as supplemental and CASPA applications- I updated the new courses I had taken and the tutoring I have done since. I interviewed in November last year. Honestly, not a whole lot changed in that short of a time frame. The biggest difference was that I applied much earlier this year. Good luck to you!!

Guest thatgirlonabike

I've thrown my application into Duke this year as well.  I kind of wish I had applied last year since their program starts so late in the year.  The other programs I am looking at start in January.  

On 7/2/2018 at 2:18 PM, Piperpottamus said:

It was my first interview so I was pretty excited/nervous. Honestly, my experience wasn’t any different from what I found from others online. It was a nice chance to learn more about the program and ask questions directly to current students. The interview itself was pretty standard, and the format is in their site. (I am not saying that to be snide- just to say it was exactly as expected!)

As far as the application process, the supplemental applications were sent out later in the summer. It wasn’t anything surprising, either. Just standard questions about you and your experience, and an additional place to write a small essay to basically let them know why you’re interested in Duke/why you think you’re a good fit! 

This is my first cycle, so I'm really keeping my fingers crossed and hoping that I interview at a program that isn't my top choice to start. Just to work some of the nerves out and get a feel for things. 

You don't come off as snide at all. Thanks for sharing!

On 7/4/2018 at 6:24 PM, thatgirlonabike said:

I've thrown my application into Duke this year as well.  I kind of wish I had applied last year since their program starts so late in the year.  The other programs I am looking at start in January.  

Are you worried about not hearing back from Duke before your other program begins?  ((I am!))

I applied late last cycle and was wait listed to interview. Although I wasn't offered an interview, I appreciate the individual feedback Duke provided on my application. It was helpful in preparing to reapply.  I used the extra year to write a new essay, retake the GRE, shadow, and continue working. CASPA verified 5/21/18. Still on the look out for a supplemental app/e-mail. Their website asks to allow four weeks minimum to receive the supplemental after CASPA is verified. I just sent an e-mail to the Admission's Coordinator. Automated response:

"If you an applicant, please note that we have NOT begun sending out our supplemental applications yet, but plan to by next week."

Guest thatgirlonabike
On 7/7/2018 at 8:54 AM, AEM59681 said:

Are you worried about not hearing back from Duke before your other program begins?  ((I am!))

I am a little but it seems from going through the thread last year that they interview in Oct and Nov and decide the entire class by then.  If I am waitlisted and accepted into another program I will probably just go there instead.  I'm not getting any younger and need to get this education under way.  

Good luck to you all in this application cycle! I'm a current second year student (as of 2 weeks ago!) and remember being in your shoes not too long ago. Feel free to message me with any questions about Duke.

Personal advice: don't get caught up on your stats or comparing yours to others in this thread (or those who get interview invites). As long as you meet the minimum requirements, definitely apply and see where you land! ?

-El

Relieved to come on here and see I'm not the only one who hasn't received any email yet for the supplemental app. I'm noticing a lot of wait list re-applicants, is it common for people to attempt twice for this program before getting in? 

Also curious how other peoples stats are, this school is a huge reach for me but I can at least say I didn't try.

Ive got:

-3.56 cumulative gpa

-3.44 science

-302 GRE

-about 2500 PCH give or take as a home healthcare CNA and EMT in an urgent care

-about 150 volunteer hours as a campus EMR

18 minutes ago, Carly said:

Just received the information for the supplemental application. Anyone else having trouble entering the schools? I keep getting logged out. 

You just received the email tonight? I am still waiting for the email. Surprised you received it this late at night. 

I just submitted my application this past weekend so was not expecting anything yet.  Also, CASPA still has not verified my application to Duke but know it can take a bit of time.  

About the question of applying to Duke more than once, when I spoke to Duke about my application last cycle and areas to improve they did tell me that a number of people do apply more than once.   

I also want to say that Duke taking the time to let me know what areas to work on in my application was a big plus and hope to get a interview and accepted this year.   Best of luck to everyone.

Archived