2018-2019 Application cycle

Guest isiddik

6 hours ago, PAPursuit said:

I am confused as to why some of us have applied early and still haven’t heard a thing back. At this point i would rather see a rejection and mark it off My list. It’s starting to get super late in the process. Especially, for those like myself who have a program acceptance that starts in January. 

Regardless I’m very excited for those who have received acceptance! Congratulations! 

Couldn’t agree more. It’s very frustrating. The PA school application process should be more standardized like most other areas in the medical field are. 

To any who were interviewed, was there much of a time to express anything about yourself or your application, or was it directly a Q&A with the interviewer? I've noted that many interviews are crunched for time and very rarely do you get time to say much more than what they ask you and you're rushed off to another portion of the interview. Any guidance would be greatly appreciated, thank you all!

21 minutes ago, 25fox said:

To any who were interviewed, was there much of a time to express anything about yourself or your application, or was it directly a Q&A with the interviewer? I've noted that many interviews are crunched for time and very rarely do you get time to say much more than what they ask you and you're rushed off to another portion of the interview. Any guidance would be greatly appreciated, thank you all!

I interviewed with two faculty members and it was mostly Q&A, with not a lot of room to elaborate outside of the questions. I don’t feel like they really got to know me or my personality when compared to other interviews I’ve had. However, this could also vary depending on who interviews you. 

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

31 minutes ago, 25fox said:

I felt like I set the pace during my interview sessions to some degree. A lot of the questions were somewhat open ended. Some I chose to answer very succinctly and others I decided to take the time to expand on, allowing me to hit some points that felt important to me. Use your time wisely. If you can answer something thoughtfully with fewer words, do so. It will leave time later if you need it. 

You won’t have tons of time with your interviewers, that’s just kind of how this process goes. With that being said, I walked away feeling that I had enough time to express myself to the interviewers and I felt that they had an idea of who I am as a person. 

I attended an interview for a different program that had three 45 minute group interview sessions. I spent significantly more time with faculty and staff during that interview. I felt much more rushed and at the end of the day I felt completely unseen. 

Edited by hmtpnw
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, hmtpnw said:

I felt like I set the pace during my interview sessions to some degree. A lot of the questions were somewhat open ended. Some I chose to answer very succinctly and others I decided to take the time to expand on, allowing me to hit some points that felt important to me. Use your time wisely. If you can answer something thoughtfully with fewer words, do so. It will leave time later if you need it. 

You won’t have tons of time with your interviewers, that’s just kind of how this process goes. With that being said, I walked away feeling that I had enough time to express myself to the interviewers and I felt that they had an idea of who I am as a person. 

I attended an interview for a different program that had three 45 minute group interview sessions. I spent significantly more time with faculty and staff during that interview. I felt much more rushed and at the end of the day I felt completely unseen. 

Thank you, I really appreciate it!

8 hours ago, Bubbles said:

I interviewed with two faculty members and it was mostly Q&A, with not a lot of room to elaborate outside of the questions. I don’t feel like they really got to know me or my personality when compared to other interviews I’ve had. However, this could also vary depending on who interviews you. 

Thank you for the info!!

On ‎11‎/‎21‎/‎2018 at 5:21 AM, PAPursuit said:

I am confused as to why some of us have applied early and still haven’t heard a thing back. At this point i would rather see a rejection and mark it off My list. It’s starting to get super late in the process. Especially, for those like myself who have a program acceptance that starts in January. 

Regardless I’m very excited for those who have received acceptance! Congratulations! 

I am in the same boat. In fact it was not until January that I received my rejection last year despite applying early. Duke is one of the few programs I know of that offers specific feedback on applications, although its not available till March I believe. All I could discern from that conversation was that I was competitive but I guess not quite competitive enough to receive an interview. So there must be a stack of us on a desk labeled as "back-up" interviews in case the waitlist clears or gets too short.

On 11/28/2018 at 7:43 PM, erikkariya said:

Hello!

Is there anyone here interviewing Monday 12/3? I'm thinking about getting a little meet-up scheduled for Sunday evening to get some jitters out if anyone's interested.

-Erik

Hi Erik!

I'm interviewing 12/4 and would love to meet up 12/2 evening if you're interested. To anyone interviewing 12/4 as well I'm also down to meet up 12/3 evening if anyone's interested? Looking forward to meet all of you 🙂

On 11/30/2018 at 12:44 PM, PNWroots said:

Hi Erik!

I'm interviewing 12/4 and would love to meet up 12/2 evening if you're interested. To anyone interviewing 12/4 as well I'm also down to meet up 12/3 evening if anyone's interested? Looking forward to meet all of you 🙂

Great! I DM'd you.

If anyone else wants to meet, post here!

1 hour ago, LesliePAApplicant said:

@MyPath and @msyed in your letter, did they mention whether or not interview spots are currently filled? And did they mention a final interview date?

The email said

"As of today, we have filled all of our interview slots for this admissions cycle. However, the Admissions Committee was impressed with your credentials and would like to offer you a slot on our interview waitlist. Historically, we have interviewed quite a few people from this list. If a slot opens up, we will call and/or e-mail you with a specific date and ask you to confirm immediately. At times, we may call you with only one day’s notice. Please keep this in mind when accepting or declining your space on this list. "

So no mention of final interview dates. But based on the previous years it seems like the last interview dates for Duke is around the middle/end of January. Hopefully, it is the same this year.