2018-2019 Application cycle

Guest isiddik

5 minutes ago, mattsully said:

I'm interviewing next week, and my invitation said that spouses and partners are welcome for the morning info sessions and the luncheon... those who have interviewed, did many/any applicants have a spouse or partner come with them?

No one at my session brought spouses/partners.

48 minutes ago, mattsully said:

Hmm. So is it strange to have a partner come with? That would maybe seem odd to be the only one. 

If it were me, I wouldn’t. 

The morning info sessions are detailed presentations about curriculum with faculty and staff. I felt like it was a ton of information to digest and I was trying to focus on taking it all in, asking intelligent questions and interacting with fellow interviewees. 

I personally wouldn’t want any kind of distraction on interview day. You’re being watched all day. It’s definitely a low pressure, low stress setting, but faculty and staff are making observations about you throughout the whole day. I wouldn’t want to spend any of my energy interacting with a spouse/partner or fielding their questions about things. But you have to do what’s right for you! 

Guest thatgirlonabike
14 hours ago, mattsully said:

I'm interviewing next week, and my invitation said that spouses and partners are welcome for the morning info sessions and the luncheon... those who have interviewed, did many/any applicants have a spouse or partner come with them?

I brought my partner as did one other interviewee.  My partner felt like he was out of place and a little uncomfortable.  He did say he would go again because he liked having the info about the school.  He is not medical at all and I liked the fact that he has a better understanding about PA school in general and what we are getting ourselves into. 

22 minutes ago, thatgirlonabike said:

I brought my partner as did one other interviewee.  My partner felt like he was out of place and a little uncomfortable.  He did say he would go again because he liked having the info about the school.  He is not medical at all and I liked the fact that he has a better understanding about PA school in general and what we are getting ourselves into. 

That's good to know, though I'm sorry he felt a little uncomfortable! I hope the both of you have gotten good news. Did your partner leave after the lunch, or did he stick around for the whole day with you?

Guest thatgirlonabike

@mattsully. On the waitlist. Still holding out hope.  Good luck to you!

SOs have to leave after lunch.  He went to a coffee shop and did some work and then we went out to a bar and then dinner with a couple folks from the interview.  

Edited by thatgirlonabike

On ‎11‎/‎9‎/‎2018 at 5:48 PM, mattsully said:

We had one spouse attend our interview day. Although their partner seemed comfortable, I felt it was somewhat awkward. I wouldn't bring anyone honestly. As some of the others said, it is a lot of information and you want to have your sole focus be on the speakers.

On 11/9/2018 at 3:48 PM, mattsully said:

3 applicants brought their significant others during my interview date. 

3 hours ago, nerroe said:

For those who have been accepted,  has duke sent any more info? Things like physical forms and titers required and such prior to school starting? If not, does anyone know when they'll send more info?

I was accepted from the first group of interviews and haven’t heard anything.

I wanted to get more information about financial aid and when I inquired I was sent this link which I found helpful: https://medschool.duke.edu/node/2745. The information is located under Prospective Student/Financial Aid Presentation.

4 hours ago, nerroe said:

For those who have been accepted,  has duke sent any more info? Things like physical forms and titers required and such prior to school starting? If not, does anyone know when they'll send more info?

They don't send requests for this until they are done with interviews. If I remember correctly from last year, it was sometime in February or March when we got the email from Wendy, and then we had until June to get it done.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Bubbles said:

I got an email that I was accepted last week! I was on the waitlist for just over 1 month. To everyone on the waitlist- there’s still hope! 🙂 

Well that's reassuring! So after receiving the wait list e-mail, did you receive any further information regarding how they decide who gets accepted from the wait list prior to the end of the interview cycle or did you just receive the acceptance e-mail out of the blue a month later? Per the wait-list e-mail: "At the conclusion of our interview year, all applicants remaining on the wait list will receive a ranking." Based on this, it doesn't sound like they notify the candidates on the wait list of their spot/priority until the end of interviews (which looks like end of January from the previous years' threads on this forum).

8 hours ago, pharynxlarynxshmarynx said:

Well that's reassuring! So after receiving the wait list e-mail, did you receive any further information regarding how they decide who gets accepted from the wait list prior to the end of the interview cycle or did you just receive the acceptance e-mail out of the blue a month later? Per the wait-list e-mail: "At the conclusion of our interview year, all applicants remaining on the wait list will receive a ranking." Based on this, it doesn't sound like they notify the candidates on the wait list of their spot/priority until the end of interviews (which looks like end of January from the previous years' threads on this forum).

Out of the blue 🙂 You won’t receive any more info on ranking until the interviews have concluded. 

I am confused as to why some of us have applied early and still haven’t heard a thing back. At this point i would rather see a rejection and mark it off My list. It’s starting to get super late in the process. Especially, for those like myself who have a program acceptance that starts in January. 

Regardless I’m very excited for those who have received acceptance! Congratulations! 

• Upvote 3