2018-2019 Application cycle

Guest isiddik

8 minutes ago, courtwilson said:

Hey!! I'm not sure about this, but are we supposed to send in patient contact hour updates while we're waiting to hear back? I'm still working full time as a medical scribe but I'm not sure giving total hour updates will even necessarily make a difference in the long run. Good luck to everyone! ? 

I don’t remember for sure- but is this something you can update with CASPA? If so- I would do that, and shoot them an email to tell them you’ll be updating patient care hours through the process. Just ask what their preference is- when and how they’d like to be informed! 

24 minutes ago, Piperpottamus said:

I don’t remember for sure- but is this something you can update with CASPA? If so- I would do that, and shoot them an email to tell them you’ll be updating patient care hours through the process. Just ask what their preference is- when and how they’d like to be informed! 

I actually just checked on CASPA and it will let me "update" but I can't actually edit any of my past responses, just add any new information/activities that I want to send out to the schools. I'll try emailing them though just to double check -- thank you!!! 

4 hours ago, courtwilson said:

Hey!! I'm not sure about this, but are we supposed to send in patient contact hour updates while we're waiting to hear back? I'm still working full time as a medical scribe but I'm not sure giving total hour updates will even necessarily make a difference in the long run. Good luck to everyone! ? 

When you input your experiences into CASPA and list a position as current experience, this indicates that you are still working and accumulating more hours. 

I think because of this hour updates are unnecessary in most cases. If you start a new position I do think it’s worthwhile to add that to your CASPA and update your application to inform the school that a change has occurred. But if you’re just continuing to work the same position that you’ve already listed as “current experience,” you’re essentially telling the program something they already know by reporting additional hours.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
2 hours ago, isiddik said:

Does anyone know if Duke reviews CASPA application before the supplemental is turned in? 

When your application is complete the email you receive states, “The Duke University Physician Assistant Program has received your CASPA, your Supplemental application, and your GRE scores. These are all the materials required to complete your application to our program. Your application has now been placed in a queue for review.” 

To me this means it’s not placed in line to review until all materials are received. With so many applications to review, they aren’t going to look at those that are incomplete. 

Guest isiddik
3 hours ago, Packman PA said:

I believe they wait till they have both the CASPA application and supplemental before doing a full review. I may be wrong though but that is my gut feeling

2 hours ago, hmtpnw said:

When your application is complete the email you receive states, “The Duke University Physician Assistant Program has received your CASPA, your Supplemental application, and your GRE scores. These are all the materials required to complete your application to our program. Your application has now been placed in a queue for review.” 

To me this means it’s not placed in line to review until all materials are received. With so many applications to review, they aren’t going to look at those that are incomplete. 

Thanks for the information! 

Hi everyone, 

I imagine that other applicants have completed post-bacc courses after completing their degree, so I'm hoping to get help on filling out the supplemental application. I completed both my bachelors degree and post-bacc courses at the same university, however under the colleges tab I'm not able to list my end date after my degree date. 

I completed my degree in 2017 but I did not complete my post-bacc courses until 2018. Has anyone else run into this problem? I'm not sure if I should just enter my attendance at the same college for my post-bacc courses as a new entry or not.

Thanks in advance!

Edited by sothames

1 hour ago, sothames said:

Hi everyone, 

I imagine that other applicants have completed post-bacc courses after completing their degree, so I'm hoping to get help on filling out the supplemental application. I completed both my bachelors degree and post-bacc courses at the same university, however under the colleges tab I'm not able to list my end date after my degree date. 

I completed my degree in 2017 but I did not complete my post-bacc courses until 2018. Has anyone else run into this problem? I'm not sure if I should just enter my attendance at the same college for my post-bacc courses as a new entry or not.

Thanks in advance!

Hey! I had the same problem and just ended up entering the university twice:) that was the only way I could get it to appear accurate. 

Hi guys!!

I am a first year in the program at Duke and would love to help y'all along as much as I can! If you have any questions feel free to respond to this or shoot me a message, and I will get back to you as soon as studying allows haha! If I'm remembering correctly I think Duke started reviewing applications two weeks ago, so they are moving as fast as they can! I know the waiting process is the worst, so I will try to update y'all as I hear any pertinent news regarding applications/interviews! I will include my timeline below in case it will help y'all to relax and not feel like you have to check your email every two minutes (although that's totally normal)! 

Submitted CASPA: 06/08

Verified CASPA: 06/12

Application received email from Duke/supplemental application: 06/28

Submitted supplemental: 07/04

Placed in queue for review email from Duke: 07/26

Interview invitation: 09/07

Interview: 10/11

Admission email: 10/23 (My interview was during the first round, so it took us the longest to hear back. I think the other rounds heard back within a week)

Edited by medlabscientist
  • Like 3
  • Upvote 7

1 hour ago, medlabscientist said:

Hi guys!!

I am a first year in the program at Duke and would love to help y'all along as much as I can! If you have any questions feel free to respond to this or shoot me a message, and I will get back to you as soon as studying allows haha! If I'm remembering correctly I think Duke started reviewing applications two weeks ago, so they are moving as fast as they can! I know the waiting process is the worst, so I will try to update y'all as I hear any pertinent news regarding applications/interviews! I will include my timeline below in case it will help y'all to relax and not feel like you have to check your email every two minutes (although that's totally normal)! 

Submitted CASPA: 06/08

Verified CASPA: 06/12

Application received email from Duke/supplemental application: 06/28

Submitted supplemental: 07/04

Placed in queue for review email from Duke: 07/26

Interview invitation: 09/07

Interview: 10/11

Admission email: 10/23 (My interview was during the first round, so it took us the longest to hear back. I think the other rounds heard back within a week)

Thanks so much! How are you liking Duke so far? Any tips/advice for the interview process?

Good luck with your studying!

Guest thatgirlonabike
5 hours ago, PaStudent12345666666 said:

On the supplemental application, did you write in paragraph form or in bullet list form for the "responsibilities" portion of patient care experience and for the "duties" section for shadowing and non-patient care experiences? 

I cut and copied from my resume in bullet points for PCE.  For shadowing I just described the clinic and the people I was shadowing (I shadowed Internal medicine residents and not a PA).   I had no non-patient care experiences.