Retaking Science Courses

Hey guys, I was wondering if I should retake Chem 1 and 2 at the university I attend right now. Unfornately, I  received a “C” in both courses. I’m not sure if I should wait till I graduate and take these courses at a community college or just retake them next semester. Does it look better if I retake the classes post bacc or while I’m still getting my degree? 

Doesn't matter if you take it at the CC or your University during BS/Post Bacc. All you need is a good grade in them. Taking them at the CC would be cheaper.

With CASPA, the best you can do is turn these into Bs. If they’re your only science Cs, I’m not sure that it’s worth the effort. Perhaps you could take something more advanced and get As.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

1 hour ago, UGoLong said:

With CASPA, the best you can do is turn these into Bs. If they’re your only science Cs, I’m not sure that it’s worth the effort. Perhaps you could take something more advanced and get As.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I agree, If you go on to orgo and get As then your gen chem will be chalked up to "figuring out college." (I'm assuming you're a freshman because that's when most science majors take chem).

So, full steam ahead, do your best, try and keep your GPA above 3.5 when you graduate, and if you have the time you can take them again, but if they end up being your only Cs, then like UGoLong said, probably not worth it. Plus you'll basically be burning the chance to take 2 other classes/pre reqs down the road before you graduate.

Some old man wisdom commith. Your HS grades really didn't matter that much unless you tried getting into an Ivy League school, but your undergrad does, it will be asked for forever, even if you become a PA and then want to go to med school or get a PhD. There is no reset button on undergrad GPA, it is forever (at least so long as you want to advance academically). I just finished looking over someone's application from this forum and 2 semesters has wrecked their GPA, lots of Cs and one F freshman year, 10 years ago. Mostly A's after that and nearly 4.0 post bacc for a few full sumesters, and they are still trying to get to a 3.0 (which is the absolute bare minimum for most PA programs).

Archived