I'm currently about to attend PA School and the excitement I have is beyond words. However I have a bit of a problem I was hoping someone could help me with as it seems I can't find a concrete answer anywhere online. 

I live in the US and am a US citizen  (have been all my life) however once I finish PA School, I will be moving to Dubai because that is where my Fiancé lives and works. It would be extremely difficult for him to come here and find a job, but over there he is doing very well. 

I was just wondering if anyone knew about the certified physician assistant job market in Dubai. Will I be able to find a job? Will I be getting a decent salary? (I'm aware it won't be as much as if I had experience.)

Any information that anyone might have that relates to this would be DEEPLY appreciated

Thank you so much in advance,

Best,

Mariam

The Ultimate Guide to Getting Into Physician Assistant School, Fourth Edition

Interesting question. I have seen an occasional listing for a PA position in the UAE here and there but they are uncommon (I also do not know the validity of those positions). Generally there are two options that come to mind, one is looking for work at the US embassy (or other embassy whose country has licensed PAs) but to my knowledge they are all in Abu Dhabi. The other would be to try and contact a physician working in the US who is from the UAE or another close Arab neighbor. I worked at a clinic with a few Arabian physicians that still maintained connections in Turkey, Saudi Arabia, Syria (before it became a war zone), etc. We would have occasional FMGs come by and visit too. 

As for the salary, I would imagine it will be low. I spoke with a few of our FMGs who wanted to complete residencies in the US and then go back to Saudi Arabia (apparently with an American or Canadian residency you have job offers thrown at you and start at the highest salary levels there). They would often mention that Saudi Arabia "paid the best" but if I remember right, it was about half of what US MDs in the same specialities were paid. They did say that sometimes they would get perks like free housing or a car though.

If you don't speak Arabic, that will also probably limit your options, all of our FMGs' who wanted to work in the region first language was Arabic.

Sorry I couldn't be of more help.

Posted (edited)
12 minutes ago, Anachronist said:

Interesting question. I have seen an occasional listing for a PA position in the UAE here and there but they are uncommon (I also do not know the validity of those positions). Generally there are two options that come to mind, one is looking for work at the US embassy (or other embassy whose country has licensed PAs) but to my knowledge they are all in Abu Dhabi. The other would be to try and contact a physician working in the US who is from the UAE or another close Arab neighbor. I worked at a clinic with a few Arabian physicians that still maintained connections in Turkey, Saudi Arabia, Syria (before it became a war zone), etc. We would have occasional FMGs come by and visit too. 

As for the salary, I would imagine it will be low. I spoke with a few of our FMGs who wanted to complete residencies in the US and then go back to Saudi Arabia (apparently with an American or Canadian residency you have job offers thrown at you and start at the highest salary levels there). They would often mention that Saudi Arabia "paid the best" but if I remember right, it was about half of what US MDs in the same specialities were paid. They did say that sometimes they would get perks like free housing or a car though.

If you don't speak Arabic, that will also probably limit your options, all of our FMGs' who wanted to work in the region first language was Arabic.

Sorry I couldn't be of more help.

I'm actually fluent in Arabic and proficient in a few other languages as well.

I know that my fiance might know A few doctors in Dubai but I don't know anyone here that relocated from UAE. Closest connection I'd have is a few people who are doctors in Egypt, however the system is completely different! 

Hopefully going there is temporary until we move back to the US when he can find a job here. 

Looking at the embassy's is something I will definitely look into! 

Thank you for the reply :) 

Edited by mari33
  • Upvote 1

Posted (edited)

I didn't see Cleveland Clinic's facility  (in Abu Dhabi) mentioned. That would be the best bet for an American citizen looking for employment, if you can live in Abu Dhabi or between the two cities. I lived in Dubai way back in 1981 for a few months. I have tried to get back several times, but limited myself to their headache clinic (part of Cleveland Clinic). However, if you have a spectrum of positions that you are willing to take, you might have a good chance. How did you become fluent in Arabic? I Have a degree in Arabic from the American University in Cairo, however, it is quite rusty.

Edited by jmj11

6 minutes ago, jmj11 said:

I didn't see Cleveland Clinic's facility  (in Abu Dhabi) mentioned. That would be the best bet for an American citizen looking for employment, if you can live in Abu Dhabi or between the two cities. I lived in Dubai way back in 1981 for a few months. I have tried to get back several times, but limited myself to their headache clinic (part of Cleveland Clinic). However, if you have a spectrum of positions that you are willing to take, you might have a good chance. How did you become fluent in Arabic? I Have a degree in Arabic from the American University in Cairo, however, it is quite rusty.

Thanks for the reply! I'll definitely look into that! 

And as for my Arabic, my parents are Egyptian. And so is my Fiancé. My Arabic was incredibly choppy until a few years ago though because When my parents would talk with us in Arabic, we would just reply in English. But I started answering them more in Arabic and talking with my cousins almost everyday (who live in Egypt) and then when I met my boyfriend I perfected his English while he perfected my Arabic :) so I just took every opportunity that I could get to speak Arabic  :)

Although my Arabic training was in العربية الفصحى , since I was living in Egypt at the time, Egyptian Arabic is what I know best. We lived near Medan Hegaz, in mrs gadeeda (Heliopolis).

I would definitely check the Cleveland clinic and the American University. But as a FMG who was in Dubai till undergrad, I would definitely say the scope and pay for PAs would be very limited. 

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

• Similar Content

• By mari33
      Hi all :)
      I'm currently about to attend PA School and the excitement I have is beyond words. However I have a bit of a problem I was hoping someone could help me with as it seems I can't find a concrete answer anywhere online. 
      I live in the US and am a US citizen  (have been all my life) however once I finish PA School, I will be moving to Dubai because that is where my Fiancé lives and works. It would be extremely difficult for him to come here and find a job, but over there he is doing very well. 
      I was just wondering if anyone knew about the certified physician assistant job market in Dubai. Will I be able to find a job? Will I be getting a decent salary? (I'm aware it won't be as much as if I had experience.)
      Any information that anyone might have that relates to this would be DEEPLY appreciated

Thank you so much in advance,
      Best,
      Mariam
    • By emilyclairebray
      Hello everyone! Not sure if this is the right thread, so sorry in advance if it is not. I am applying to physician assistant school this cycle and am speaking with a recruiter on Monday for some information about the Navy. I have been interested in joining for awhile and especially to their HSCP.
      Am I too late to be meeting with a recruiter? I hear some applicants send out their packet when they apply to PA school? Or am I on the right track?
      For those who have applied, how do you think the process was? Were there minimum qualifications for you to be considered? Look forward to hearing back. Thanks!
    • By mhgutierrez02
      Hello All, Melissa Gutierrez MPAS PA-C 
      I wrote today in my blog how to stand out in clinical rotations below is my thread and my link to my blog hope it helps. 
      HOW TO STAND OUT IN ROTATIONS
        Popular topic on my thread is how to stand out in rotations, This can be for any medical professional or anyone doing hours of shadowing . 
      I did extremely well in all my rotations and got positive feedback from all my preceptors . 
      # 1 RULE is BE HUMBLE !!! 
      Remember you are a GUEST When you are rotating in these clinics/ hospitals/ operation rooms.  You are there to learn as much as yo ucan from the provider and staff. Coming in to a new place can be very scary , and you will be dealing with a lot of staff such as nurses , medical assistants, receptionist, administrators , doctors and mid levels. Do NOT come in with the attitude like you know everything and you are already a professional , come in with a positive attitude. I think what helped me is I always showed genuiene interest in learning how the clinic and staff worked and i was a team player. Yes I was studying to be a PA but If I saw nurse be behind , medical assistant need help etc I would always offer to help.  So be a team player and be humble. 
      #2 RULE is be happy ! 
      I always made sure to show up ready to work . This included being a positive energy to work with. I always smiled and made sure to say good morning , good afternoon , hello ,etc. I always made sure to show a bit of my personality, part of being a good provider and colleague is being personable. I love what I do and i want to exude that energy.
      #3 be open to criticism 
      YOU WILL NOT ALWAYS BE RIGHT , in fact most of the time you aren't right. One thing from being in clinical medicine is that it is very different than textbook medicine, once your out in clinic you will see things are done differently and each doctor and staff has thier own way of handling things.  Be open to learn and be open when they correct your technique, treatment plans, patient education etc. 
      #4 BE PREPARED to be PIMPED 
      What do I mean by this , is that your preceptor  will ask you questions throughout your rotation. They will put you in the spot in front of patients, in front of other doctors and staff, and any time they can. I myself had my fair share of preceptors who " pimped" me and it was brutal. 
      My first rotation was psychiatry with an Amazing doctor and staff, Dr. Igoa. He was so brilliant to learn from but he was tough. He was the definition of pimping , he would ask you questions left and right, he would give you material to study and read and specifically tell you to be ready to answer his questiosn the next day. I was always so scared  but I learned that i may not be right but I can at least try, throughout his rotation i started gaining confidence and trusting what I answered and if I was wrong I wanted to know why. At the end of his rotation he told me, " Melissa I would ask you things that quite frankly i didn't expect you to know the answers too, I want you to work on confidence and trusting your treatment plans and understanding why you chose them." 
      So be prepared to be pimped ! Now there may be some preceptors that will pimp you to make you feel dumb-- sorry to say but it's the truth. Always handle it with grace. I remember havign a rotation like this, and If I would be made fun of for getting it wrong I always responded with, " Well I will make sure to review that and study it to not miss it again, or if they asked me something I didn't know the answer too , " I will look into that and have an answer for you tomorrow." I always made sure to be positive and show my ability to learn and handle thie field.

#5 BE NICE with your patients and treat them like you would want your family to be treated 
      If you treat your patients well and show them you care believe me that goes a long way.  Be prepared to get resistance-- when some patients hear you are a student many of them don't want to be seen or examined by you, but good preceptors will stand up for you. If you show them you are there to learn and give them good quality care they will gain your trust. 
      In my last rotation I was with the same clinic for 7 months -- so I got to know many of our patients to the point that many of them knew when I was graduating and urge me to return , it reassured me that I was doing something right .
      Providers will want to hire you when they see how easy you can engage with patients-- this helps their practice grow.
      # 6 Look the part !
      always show up looking professional - no one care if you were up studying until 2 AM, didn't get any sleep and have exams coming up , Always show up with your scrubs/ professional clothes, white coat ironed and cleaned, stethoscope and any other medical equipment needed , note pad & pen. Look the part and be prepared for anything.
      I always carried my otoscope / opthalmoscope with me, had manual BP cuff in car along with extra scrubs , shoes ,white coat in case of any accident. 
      # 7 go the extra mile 
      Many preceptors will tell you " oh we are supposed to close at 5 but we usually work up till 8 pm, you can leave at 5 pm."  I always stayed extra, I always offered to do more , Why ? Because you are onlu a student one , this is your opportunity to grow and learn . Make it known your interested , never ASK to leave early, never ASK if you can miss a day to study, never ASK if you can take a break. 

Mainly make it known that this is what you're passionate about and work your butt off while you're a student.  There's always something you can be doing. If you see the clinic is super behind take initiative, offer to help.  All of us have assets that we bring, for example I was a scribe before PA school , I used that as a strength, I was quick at charting and working on notes , Quicker than some preceptors because EMR systems are complicated so i always offerred to help and it went a long way
      Don't be afraid to stand out , this can land you a job and a forever home as a provider. It sure did for me.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.