I am in the final few weeks of my freshman year of college. I came in pre-nursing but realized I wasn't cut out for it. I got a 3.16 GPA first semester, and second semester has been a complete disaster, Biology, and anatomy I am barely passing, but nutrition and psychology I should be able to 4.0. I plan on retaking bio and anatomy, but with a 3.0 GPA freshman year is it possible to build up my GPA enough to get into PA school? Also, I am deciding what major to choose for my undergrad since Pre-nursing isn't a major, I was thinking kinesiology but I'm not sure.  I am trying to work as a CNA in the summer and working with a non-profit to put on my apps. Sorry for the information overload but I am scared I won't be able to get in any programs and be stuck with a useless degree. Any words of encouragement or advice is greatly appreciated!

Take the summer of and recuperate. Make sure this is something you REALLY want to do. Work make some money and gain some valuable patient care experience-great idea. I finished freshman year with a 2.8GPA, retook the C's that I got got an A and a B (yikes) but got my stuff together and it was all A's sprinkled with a few Bs for my last 3 years. But it took dedication and discipline. So although you dug yourself a little hole, it's farr from over. And an upwards trend ALWAYS looks favorable, as long as you can explain it further down the line.

• Upvote 1

PA schools don't only look at the GPA, you can also take some high level science courses to boost your application. You can also go for athletic training as a major or sports med, so that you can train or work with athletes and observe injuries stuff. Do not worry, you will be fine. I am still struggling, this will be my third cycle applying. Also, volunteer if you can, this is a plus point for some of the schools. All the best!

Science degree coursework at a 4-yr uni, in combination with a Pre-PA or Pre-Med track, is notorious for its competitiveness during Soph/Jr. years. My advice is to not overload your schedule on any given semester, and spread out the harder courses appropriately (i.e. Gen Chem II, Organic Chem, Biochem, Bio II, Human Phys, Upper lvl Bio, etc.). Even if you graduate a semester or two late, you will still be in the game if you do well. I've seen far too many students who worry about graduating on-time and end up having to retake more courses ($$$) to claw themselves out of a GPA hole; when you submit your application to CASPA all coursework that has been retaken is averaged between the new and previous mark, unless you were to withdraw and receive a 'W'.

As far health-related degree majors go, I've had colleagues who can vouch for Radiation Sciences (Radiation Therapy), Biomedical Engineering and Micro all providing excellent incomes post-grad. While it's good to be thinking ahead about Plan B's, if PA school is really where you want to end up then make it a priority in your life. The discipline, good marks and success will soon follow suit. Good luck!

• Upvote 1

You have plenty of time to bring that GPA up. I had a 3.2 GPA at the end of my freshman year and graduated with a 3.54 at the end. MY only suggestion to you is to major in something that provides a stable job and high quality patient care experience upon graduation (respiratory therapy, radiation therapy, nursing, dietetics, sonography, nuclear medicine, speech pathology, etc). 

Nothing is worse than a useless bachelor's degree and then working for $12-17/hr after spending 4-5 years in undergrad.

• Upvote 1

MY only suggestion to you is to major in something that provides a stable job and high quality patient care experience upon graduation (respiratory therapy, radiation therapy, nursing, dietetics, sonography, nuclear medicine, speech pathology, etc). 

Nothing is worse than a useless bachelor's degree and then working for $12-17/hr after spending 4-5 years in undergrad.

So true.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

• Similar Content

• By Pwulf28
      Hey all,
      I am currently a 1st year graduate student for athletic training. I am looking into become a PA. Looking to withdraw from my program to pursue PA prerequisites but not sure if this was a good idea. Or if I should complete my program then complete prerequisites. Thanks!
    • By PrePA1208
      Will I be completely overlooked if I answer yes to academic dishonesty question on CASPA?
      My senior year of undergrad I took an management online course. There was an ungraded assignment that I didn't think I had to complete. To my dismay, the professor stated in his syllabus that the failure to complete this specific module to the best of our ability would result in being reported as academic dishonesty. Needless to say, he reported over 100 students.  I had zero intentions of cheating. It was an act of laziness-- if anything. The assignment itself was ungraded and didn't even go towards my grade to begin with.  I was just given a written warning for "the failure to comply with instructions." I tried to appeal but the professor was trying to make a point to the class. I still received an A in the course.  However, I understand that I must answer yes to the academic dishonesty question.
      I am discouraged and worried that this mistake will cost me my future as a PA.  I am not sure how to explain what happened in only 500 characters and have them believe that it really was just that and not me trying to put a positive twist on my actions. The rest of my application is fairly strong. It will be two years since this occurred when I apply. Should I be worried? Will PAs even consider me? Any advice would be appreciated. 
    • By knealon99
      I'm currently pre-pa and have a few questions on PCE. I have been a volunteer at my town's first aid squad for three years (~500 hours), although I am not an EMT (I haven't had time to take the class because I am a college-athlete and unfortunately do not have the time). Would this still count as at patient care hours, or only if I become a certified EMT? My role includes assisting the EMTs, transporting patients, taking vitals, and writing down patient information. Thanks in advance!
    • By IsabelC93
      I was wondering if anyone had every considered sending handwritten letters of appreciation after an interview? If so, to whom did you address and send? If not that's totally understandable, I just wasn't sure what the consensus was out in the world. Thank you so much!! 
    • By CornellSPA
      Volunteers from the AMERICAN ASSOCIATION OF SURGICAL PAs, the first PA professional organization to host Pre-PA events, will be hosting an engaging and informative PRE PA COACHING SEMINAR in TAMPA FLORIDA 
      WHEN JAN 18 2020   4-9:30 PM
      WHERE: USF  CAMLS center      https://camls-us.org/
      Faculty, students, and lecturers from Cornell University, USF, Stony Brook University, Loyola Marymount,  Touro, and others  are all presenting or planning to attend.
      Opportunities for mock interviews as well as critical CASPA essay reviews available 
      You can not miss this seminar...amazing admission tips, mock interviews, essay reviews, cutting edge PA news, and networking, shadowing, and volunteer experiences! WOW!

You will:
      *meet PA leaders & admission advisors
      *learn first hand tips and tricks to become a successful PA Program applicant.
      *Understand the amazing & rapidly growing PA career field.   *Get new info on CASPA! 
      *Earn a certificate of attendance, great on a CASPA application! 

This event is hosted by AASPA and given by Surgical PAs, PA school faculty members, and admissions experts! All volunteer their time to give this seminar. 

Come and learn amazing admissions tips & tricks! Understand the process from the inside and find out why PA school has become so competitive to get into and what admission committees look for.
      CNN, Money Magazine, US Dept of Labor list the PA profession as one of the fastest growing & highest paid careers.
      AASPA is proud to be THE FIRST PA organization to offer Pre-PA seminars, which have become more and more popular. 

*Seating is limited
      *Dress is casual, but not too casual (you may meet a future PA school interviewer!!)

This amazing seminar will include:
      -Overview of the PA Profession
      -PA Profession news that all applicants need to know
      -Essentials of academic prerequisites
      -Health care/patient care prerequisites
      -How to deal with CASPA
      -PA-wanna-be essays
      -How to stand out as an applicant
      -Tips for the returning student
      -One on one and group Q & A session
      -and much more!

Registration/donation ($25):  aaspa.com
      Since AASPA is a non-profit and the faculty are volunteers, it makes a great tax-writeoff! **For groups of 5 or more, you save $15 on each registration, email ceo@aaspa.com for info!!**

QUESTIONS?? 
      aaspa@affinity-strategies.com or 
      Corrine Marconi, Executive Director     corrine@affinity-strategies.com

HOT TIPS
      *On the same day, Saturday January 18, AASPA is hosting an ultrasound workshop with SPOCUS...volunteer opportunities to be an ultrasound model ...what a way to build your CASPA application. 
      *BRING YOUR RESUME, BUSINESS CARDS, AND SAMPLE ESSAY!
      To volunteer to be a POCUS model: aaspa@affinity-strategies.com
      *Discounted hotel rates will be available for Friday and Saturday nights for those flying in and/or volunteering at the ultrasound session. AASPA.COM for info (coming soon)
      AASPA Pre-PA FLyer 2020.pdf

Important Information

Welcome to the Physician Assistant Forum! This website uses cookies to ensure you get the best experience on our website. Learn More