I am in the final few weeks of my freshman year of college. I came in pre-nursing but realized I wasn't cut out for it. I got a 3.16 GPA first semester, and second semester has been a complete disaster, Biology, and anatomy I am barely passing, but nutrition and psychology I should be able to 4.0. I plan on retaking bio and anatomy, but with a 3.0 GPA freshman year is it possible to build up my GPA enough to get into PA school? Also, I am deciding what major to choose for my undergrad since Pre-nursing isn't a major, I was thinking kinesiology but I'm not sure.  I am trying to work as a CNA in the summer and working with a non-profit to put on my apps. Sorry for the information overload but I am scared I won't be able to get in any programs and be stuck with a useless degree. Any words of encouragement or advice is greatly appreciated!

Take the summer of and recuperate. Make sure this is something you REALLY want to do. Work make some money and gain some valuable patient care experience-great idea. I finished freshman year with a 2.8GPA, retook the C's that I got got an A and a B (yikes) but got my stuff together and it was all A's sprinkled with a few Bs for my last 3 years. But it took dedication and discipline. So although you dug yourself a little hole, it's farr from over. And an upwards trend ALWAYS looks favorable, as long as you can explain it further down the line.

PA schools don't only look at the GPA, you can also take some high level science courses to boost your application. You can also go for athletic training as a major or sports med, so that you can train or work with athletes and observe injuries stuff. Do not worry, you will be fine. I am still struggling, this will be my third cycle applying. Also, volunteer if you can, this is a plus point for some of the schools. All the best!

Science degree coursework at a 4-yr uni, in combination with a Pre-PA or Pre-Med track, is notorious for its competitiveness during Soph/Jr. years. My advice is to not overload your schedule on any given semester, and spread out the harder courses appropriately (i.e. Gen Chem II, Organic Chem, Biochem, Bio II, Human Phys, Upper lvl Bio, etc.). Even if you graduate a semester or two late, you will still be in the game if you do well. I've seen far too many students who worry about graduating on-time and end up having to retake more courses ($$$) to claw themselves out of a GPA hole; when you submit your application to CASPA all coursework that has been retaken is averaged between the new and previous mark, unless you were to withdraw and receive a 'W'.

As far health-related degree majors go, I've had colleagues who can vouch for Radiation Sciences (Radiation Therapy), Biomedical Engineering and Micro all providing excellent incomes post-grad. While it's good to be thinking ahead about Plan B's, if PA school is really where you want to end up then make it a priority in your life. The discipline, good marks and success will soon follow suit. Good luck!

You have plenty of time to bring that GPA up. I had a 3.2 GPA at the end of my freshman year and graduated with a 3.54 at the end. MY only suggestion to you is to major in something that provides a stable job and high quality patient care experience upon graduation (respiratory therapy, radiation therapy, nursing, dietetics, sonography, nuclear medicine, speech pathology, etc). 

Nothing is worse than a useless bachelor's degree and then working for $12-17/hr after spending 4-5 years in undergrad.

MY only suggestion to you is to major in something that provides a stable job and high quality patient care experience upon graduation (respiratory therapy, radiation therapy, nursing, dietetics, sonography, nuclear medicine, speech pathology, etc). 

Nothing is worse than a useless bachelor's degree and then working for $12-17/hr after spending 4-5 years in undergrad.

So true.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Archived