Is anyone reading any PA books?

Well as the question implies, just wondering if any of the 2012 applicants are reading any pre-PA or review books before school would potentially start for any of us that get accepted? I have been advised by a PA associate I work with to start going over anatomy, review some micro topics, & start reading up on things such as hypertension, diabetes, cardiology, etc.. in order to get freshened up on & learning some of these topics in greater detail before school starts to be ready when these topics come up.

Does anyone have any suggestions on a few good books to get acquainted with? Pam maybe you have some insight on good books or topics to start with? I will ask my sister tonight as she is halfway through her first year at touro nevada. And I will post later what she suggests.

Well as the question implies, just wondering if any of the 2012 applicants are reading any pre-PA or review books before school would potentially start for any of us that get accepted? I have been advised by a PA associate I work with to start going over anatomy, review some micro topics, & start reading up on things such as hypertension, diabetes, cardiology, etc.. in order to get freshened up on & learning some of these topics in greater detail before school starts to be ready when these topics come up.

Does anyone have any suggestions on a few good books to get acquainted with? Pam maybe you have some insight on good books or topics to start with? I will ask my sister tonight as she is halfway through her first year at touro nevada. And I will post later what she suggests.

Brian,

Hello! That is good to know. No, I personally haven't started refreshing my memory by going over our anatomy. However, I do appreciate you mentioning this because I will, now. That is good that you have a PA associate that advised you that it would be a good idea to do so. I heard, or so I read, one of our books once enrolled into the PA program is by McGraw-Hill; that is the publisher of my anatomy and physiology book. There is an interactive website that goes along with it that may be of use to you. It happens to be a very good interactive website. Because I took both of my A&P classes at RCC the books that we used were intended to "ready" us for the books used by RCC in the PA and/or Nursing program. Here is the web-link to the site that I was telling you about. Once there select the chapter in the drop-down menu and then click on the links that are available for that particular chapter. There are Practice pre and post tests and there are study tools such as: interactive art quizzes, flashcards, concentration games, image PowerPoints for students, and animations. Enjoy :)!

http://highered.mcgraw-hill.com/sites/0073378259/student_view0/index.html

Kimberly Angeles

Brian,

Hello! That is good to know. No, I personally haven't started refreshing my memory by going over our anatomy. However, I do appreciate you mentioning this because I will, now. That is good that you have a PA associate that advised you that it would be a good idea to do so. I heard, or so I read, one of our books once enrolled into the PA program is by McGraw-Hill; that is the publisher of my anatomy and physiology book. There is an interactive website that goes along with it that may be of use to you. It happens to be a very good interactive website. Because I took both of my A&P classes at RCC the books that we used were intended to "ready" us for the books used by RCC in the PA and/or Nursing program. Here is the web-link to the site that I was telling you about. Once there select the chapter in the drop-down menu and then click on the links that are available for that particular chapter. There are Practice pre and post tests and there are study tools such as: interactive art quizzes, flashcards, concentration games, image PowerPoints for students, and animations. Enjoy :)!

http://highered.mcgraw-hill.com/sites/0073378259/student_view0/index.html

Kimberly Angeles

Anatomy would bore me to tears. If you are looking for something to read pick up "Step up to Medicine" or one of the PANCE review texts. Provides a nice foundation of all of the major disease processes. Anatomy and some of the others are just courses that you memorize and then quickly forget no matter how many times you take them, might as well study for something you will use almost daily!

Anatomy would bore me to tears. If you are looking for something to read pick up "Step up to Medicine" or one of the PANCE review texts. Provides a nice foundation of all of the major disease processes. Anatomy and some of the others are just courses that you memorize and then quickly forget no matter how many times you take them, might as well study for something you will use almost daily!

• 3 months later...

Yep, and no matter how you try to prepare for the program, you really can't. I mean, I suppose if you study a body system every week, you might go through them all by the time school starts, but you many not pay attention to the things they want you to learn later, so it really isn't beneficial. Just enjoy yourself, do some things you might not get to do during school...road trips or visit your Aunt so-and-so, or whatever. Granted, don't spend a ton of money on vacations, but enjoy yourself. You don't want to have burnout before you get very far into the program!

One thing you might do... if you can shadow a PA or MD a few hours a week, you can ask them questions on why they prescribe a certain BP medication for this patient but not that patient, or observe them doing exams on patients, or listen to what pneumonia sounds like, or learn what kinds of questions they ask the patient to get the information they need or find out how a SOAP note is laid out.... those practical kinds of stuff will help, if you have the opportunity.

read something fun and inspiring. i reread a fave right before school: "the spirit catches you and you fall down," a book about culture clash and medicine (should be required reading for all providers, IMHO!) or "how we die: reflections of life's final chapter" by sherwin nuland; it makes poetry of pathophysiology.

you won't have much time for pleasure reading in school, so something that keeps you reflecting on the importance of humanity in medicine throughout the years of cramming that are ahead of you is a better use of your time.

Archived