Nervous for PCA position-Tips?

I just got a job at a big city hospital as a patient care assistant. I start full time on May 14th. I have my EMT cert but practically no experience working hands on with patients. I would love to hear any tips or advice for newbies in patient care! 

Also- I have about 2,600 hours of HCE from working as a Med Tech, and will just be starting to gain PCE. The plan is to apply to a few schools with late fall/winter deadlines this cycle, and then apply to more in the next cycle starting spring 2019. Does this sound reasonable?

Stats:

3.9 GPA

153Q 160V GRE

40+ shadowing hours from 3 different PAs

All good advice so far. I'll add, try and understand and communicate well with your patients, you might forget them at the end of the day but they may carry your interaction with them for a long time to come. 

In EMS we would say, "to us this is just the x-th call of the day, for the patient it may be the most traumatic experience of their entire life."

Don't be afraid to talk to the PAs on your unit! I was super intimidated by all the PAs at first, but once I actually got talking to them I saw how supportive and helpful they are. They know what it's like to be in your shoes, and want to help with shadowing and writing letters of rec, so don't be afraid to ask :)

Archived