Application cycle 2018/2019

Hey everyone, I'm a current student at the University of Dubuque. When I was applying to PA schools I found this forum to be really helpful for getting inside perspectives from current students about what their school is like.

Feel free to ask me questions here or PM me directly.  

Over-all, this is a great school. I don't think you will find a PA program with happier students, better teachers, or a more supportive environment. 

Thomas

• 2 months later...
On 4/17/2018 at 9:18 PM, DubuquePAstudent2019 said:

Hey everyone, I'm a current student at the University of Dubuque. When I was applying to PA schools I found this forum to be really helpful for getting inside perspectives from current students about what their school is like.

Feel free to ask me questions here or PM me directly.  

Over-all, this is a great school. I don't think you will find a PA program with happier students, better teachers, or a more supportive environment. 

Thomas

Hey! Why did you chose this program over others, and what do you think makes it stand out? Thanks! 

• 2 weeks later...
On 6/26/2018 at 2:23 PM, KatelynK said:

Hey! Why did you chose this program over others, and what do you think makes it stand out? Thanks! 

Hello! I'm another PA-S from the class of 2019. If you head over to UDPA's Facebook page, they have been rolling out individual student profiles where we all have answered questions such as "Why UDPA?" and lifestyle questions after getting into PA school. This way you can get multiple viewpoints on your question. Hope this helps!

• 4 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Okay, I'm back from summer break! Here is my response to Katelyn's question about why I chose UD and what makes it stand out. 

1. Best Faculty
Some schools I interviewed at seemed a little boring. I have trouble being excited about spending over a year in class if it is going to be a boring never-ending slide show experience. This program is different. I met Dr. Karkow during my interview process. He is the past president of the Iowa Chapter of the American College of Surgeons Surgical practice and teaches about a quarter of the classes. He takes a deep interest in the success of his students. He and I talked about medical mission trips, raising kids, and stories of his life as a surgeon. I really connected and felt that he has what it takes to make me a great PA. I found the other professors and staff in my interview to be equally personable and engaging. 

2. Inexpensive school in a great location
This was the second least expensive program on my top 50 list. Add to that that rent in Dubuque is lower than any of the other 9 schools that offered me interviews. Dubuque is a beautiful historic town on the Mississippi with lots of biking and hiking trails as well as outdoor concerts and great restaurants. 

3. Manageable work load
I estimated the time spent in class and doing homework and found this school to be reasonable compared to other programs. The professors are very good at teaching you what you need to know, in a memorable way, and without wasting your time. I believe we are probably a little above the national average academically, but we're still waiting for our first PANCE scores which will not be available until the first class takes the PANCE next year. 

4. They value you
I got the sense during my interview process and much more since I came here, that this program is immensely supportive and more like a family than a business. Unlike some schools that rank students solely based on GPA, Dubuque looks at you as a whole. They have done a great job of selecting phenomenal classmates. I'm really enjoying my time here and would not go anywhere else, even if you paid me. 

Feel free to message me with other questions or post them here. 

Thomas

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
4 hours ago, geedle said:

I'll be there on the 10th, too! Can't wait to meet you guys! ?

Yeah, it will be great to meet everyone.  Ill be the older guy (I’m 39) that’s originally from California and been in Philadelphia the last two years .

I’ll be The there a day before on the 9th. I’m open to meet anyone for dinner ?. Would be nice to see a somewhat familiar face the day of the interview.

p.s. Anyone have any idea how many people they invite per interview session?

On 10/7/2018 at 6:22 PM, SomosPAPAya said:

p.s. Anyone have any idea how many people they invite per interview session?

They offer 16 applicants interviews for each session. The number at the interview can vary depending on students who have been offered placement at other schools, however. 

On 10/13/2018 at 9:22 AM, mitteh71 said:

Anyone that has interviewed recently...did they say anything about additional interview dates/invitations this year?

There is an interview scheduled for tomorrow (10/17) and one scheduled for November, December and January. So in total, there will be seven interview dates this application cycle. Hope this helps!

Edited by aibae

48 minutes ago, jakeandreasen7 said:

Has anyone that interviewed heard any response? I went this last cycle (Oct. 17th) and they said that they would respond with an answer by this Friday, but I’m curious to see if anyone has heard anything? I also wonder if they will call or email.

Nothing yet, but (un)patiently waiting!!! I think it will be an email!

2 hours ago, jakeandreasen7 said:

Has anyone that interviewed heard any response? I went this last cycle (Oct. 17th) and they said that they would respond with an answer by this Friday, but I’m curious to see if anyone has heard anything? I also wonder if they will call or email.

They said they have two interview sessions a month and in the last week they. Meetup to decide. They told us oct 10th interviewees that they are meeting on the 23rd and making offers at the end of that week (so yes this Friday probably)