Prestige of schools and getting a job?

Is there a correlation between the prestige of a PA school's program and getting a job, or do your boards/GPA in PA school/whatever matter more?

I’ve never seen anyone ask your GPA or board scores. What optional rotations you’ve had can be important.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

22 minutes ago, UGoLong said:

I’ve never seen anyone ask your GPA or board scores. What optional rotations you’ve had can be important.

UGoLong, could you elaborate on the rotations?

snowboarddude, this question gets brought up rather frequently and there are some detailed threads on it. The general consensus seems to be that name recognition certainly isn't bad thing but probably doesn't carry a lot of weight. That said, regionally there are well known/respected programs that might not be household names nationally. While a lot of folks disparage the US News rankings (rightly so), they still exist and people still read them. But the general, and I find to be solid advice, is to choose a program that fits you well and that you think you'll be happy with (you'll get a better feel for it during interviews), rather than based on the reputation of the university as a whole or some other PA program ranking system (i.e. US News).

UGoLong, could you elaborate on the rotations?
snowboarddude, this question gets brought up rather frequently and there are some detailed threads on it. The general consensus seems to be that name recognition certainly isn't bad thing but probably doesn't carry a lot of weight. That said, regionally there are well known/respected programs that might not be household names nationally. While a lot of folks disparage the US News rankings (rightly so), they still exist and people still read them. But the general, and I find to be solid advice, is to choose a program that fits you well and that you think you'll be happy with (you'll get a better feel for it during interviews), rather than based on the reputation of the university as a whole or some other PA program ranking system (i.e. US News).

PA programs have required and optional rotations. In my case, I did an optional rotation in cardiology and that looked good to another prospective employer and he hired me. Still in the same job today.

Getting a cool critical care rotation, derm with Mohs surgery, or whatever can make your qualifications different from your peers.

Archived