Dedicated resus/trauma team?

Dedicated Resus Team?   

6 members have voted

1. 1. In the ED resus/trauma area, do you all have a dedicated team (pa/attending/resident + nurses + techs) covering that area or is it “round robin” where team 1, team 2 switches on the incoming trauma/resus.

• Dedicated team staying in the resus/trauma bay.
    • “Round robin”, different teams taking turns.

Hi all,

I am trying to get a feel of what happens in other emergency departments around the country. (See poll for question). Little fact, I’ve only been in one ED and graduated 3 years ago. 

Basically, in my ED — we have a dedicated team of nurses/techs/PAs/attending that runs the resuscitation area (not a trauma center). We only stay in our area and do not see fast track/main side patients. 

Recently, I have heard that in other EDs, the common occurrence is that there are multiple teams that run the trauma/resus area that are pulled in from fast track, main side 1, main side 2, etc. so in total there could be multiple teams at any given day that will tackle incoming high acuity patients vs just one dedicated one.

Thoughts? Opinions? Please fill out poll to see which is more common. 

33 minutes ago, GetMeOuttaThisMess said:

What am I missing here? Your not a level one center, you’re based in the ED, but you personally don’t see either FT or main ED patients? How are you spending your time while awaiting what should be relatively infrequent arrests?

I think you’re taking my question out of context. 

I work in all areas of the ED in a full time manner. In fact my “resus” shifts are the ones that are infrequent. I usually get only 2 of those shifts per month. 

4 minutes ago, GetMeOuttaThisMess said:

This statement was what got my attention. So when you’re in this capacity how many resuscitations are y’all responding to in a shift? In my ED days only an ED doc would respond along with area nursing staff and RT.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

That statement is true when I am on a resus shift. Thus this thread. 

It varies, it can be 1 per hour to 3-4 per hour. 

My ER has a separate trauma team that responds to all major traumas. The ER Dr. does initial stabilization but the trauma folks quickly take over. The trauma service has their own PA's so we are surplus to requirements. 

We are level II. 

Sucks not to really be involved with the major traumas, but we otherwise have a good scope in my ER. 

• 4 weeks later...

Level 1 trauma center; we have 4 resuscitation bays, with two teams of PAs/residents/attendings/RNs alternating which R room gets the next resuscitation patient.  The bays are part of a critical care pod/unit with 19 or so other beds, so the two teams cover the beds in that unit, not just the resuscitation rooms.

On 4/17/2018 at 8:40 AM, RuralER/Ortho said:

Only one doc and one PA/NP on at a time in our little shop. Everyone is on the team haha. That doesn't really help in your poll though.

similar deal. me and 2 nurses are the team. for multiple  patients I might call in the family med hospitalist to see some. 

As a student I rotated at Washington DCs level 1 trauma Medstar on the dedicated trauma team. At my last 2 jobs at trauma centers, the ED providers would start until the trauma team arrived. at my current rural job I am it. 

Archived