Volunteering as a Teenager?

Volunteering is great and a great thing to do. But you are 17 and have a lot of time left to decide what to do with your life. Try to keep an open mind. 

High school volunteering will help you get your foot in the door at hospitals but you won't be able to use it on applications after college. But it will help you get in the hospital and make connections.

Guest blee100

I found this thread on volunteer work from high school but i think you should call caspa. i'm going call tomorrow morning and ask cause I have the same question.

• Administrator

You can put whatever you want on your application. I would advise against putting HIGH SCHOOL volunteering on a GRADUATE degree application unless...

- It's part of a sustained pattern that extends to the present day.  If you're feeding the homeless at age 25, and you started at age 15, by all means say that!

- It's directly health care related.  Foreign medical missions or uncertified caregiving seem to be about the only things you're allowed to do before age 18 anymore, but maybe that's just my state.

- You had a major leadership role that impacted a large area.  Not just schoolwide club president, but organizing a statewide society.

Those are my guides/suggestions, not hard and fast rules.

ALSO, be aware that HS volunteering may never go on your CASPA app, but it can be a ticket to meeting people and doing other things that WILL open future doors.

Archived