I could really use some leads or tips for setting up a rotation on the islands.

My name is Alexandra I am a 1st year PA student in my second semester at Barry University in Florida. It has always been an aspiration of mine to move to Hawaii and build a life there. I was hoping to get some advice on who to contact for available rotations for PA students. 

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you! 

This forum doesn't seem to have much traffic. Have you tried reaching out to PAs or MDs at any of the hospitals or health systems on whichever island you are looking to work at? Kaiser Permanente has clinics on at least the main island I know; that might be a place to start.

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

• Similar Content

• By HillarySimeone
      Hi! My name is Hillary Simeone and I am a second year Physician Assistant student. I am looking for a preceptor and site to fulfill my elective rotation, seventh rotation of eight total, in the Dallas, Texas area. The dates for this rotation would be: September 13th, 2021 - October 20th, 2021. I have an open mind regarding my elective rotation and am open to new learning experiences. I can provide my CV to any prospective preceptor for consideration. Thank you for taking the time to read this!

email: hillarysimeone@gmail.com

• By Morgelutz
      Hi!! My name is Morgan and I am a PA student halfway through my clerkship year and its time to choose an elective! Does anyone know of any PA, NP, MD, DO willing to precept in either Plastic Surgery or Women's health, L&D. Any info would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance! 
    • By carlykibler
      Eager to find a PA/NP/MD provider willing to precept me for a 2 week rotation in April! Ideally a specialty practice but also open to primary care. Thanks!
    • By Warwick
      I am done with didactic and is about start rotation soon. I think should feel excited to be done "the hard part" yet I'm filled with doubts and anxiety about moving forward. I originally came into this profession with the idea that I want to help patients understand diseases and empower them with knowledge to help themselves. Looking back now, I somehow feel like I've been passively heading toward this direction all my life because when people asked me what I wanted to do, I just said I want to do something medical related. Be it after school programs in high school or medical related jobs after college. There were times before PA school where I had doubts that this may not be right for me but then quickly brushed it off. When I do bring this up with family and others, I always get asked "what else do you want to do if not this" and I never had an answer because I wasn't actively looking at alternatives. Then I would get told that just do this if you don't know. I felt like I set this expectation for myself to set out to be a medical provider when I was way younger and now im feeling kinda stuck with having to follow through. Else i'd be a disappointment. I'd be lying if I didn't feel any familial pressure to stay the course.   
      Then I got into PA school and it gave me a sort of adrenaline rush like "yeah! i got in, i can do it!". I thought it was gonna be simple and all I had to do was keep my head down and get through it. Yet throughout didactic there was always this tiny inner voice whispering to me "this feels wrong". I chalked it up to just being stressed out by the heavy workload and imposter syndrome and buried it. Sometimes when I do talk about it with my family I just get told to keep going because I've invested so much into this so at the very least just stick out the first year and see how it goes. Now that i've clawed my way through didactic, I feel completely burnt out. I took a month long break without doing anything PA school related. I spoke with friends who graduated already who tell me that clinicals would be completely different, similar to the countless other posts i read online.
      Looking ahead to clinicals I just don't even care much less feel excited and I know that won't help me make it through. Thinking back to when I decided to enroll in the first place vs now make me feel like I'm in a totally different person. I feel like the spark of interest for medicine that could have ignited a flame of passion just kinda fizzled out as time went on for me. I don't get interested in medical topics anymore. I don't feel motivated anymore and have trouble feeling empathy for anyone. I sure this is part of the burn out but can't shake the feeling that it's more than just that. I lay awake at night contemplating whether I've had enough and seen enough to say "I've gave it an honest attempt and now it's time to move on" or if actually being in clinicals will make a difference. When imagine winding up to grind through a 2nd year for clinicals, i get a sinking feeling in my stomach. When I imagine not being a PA, i think, "im ok with that". If I quit now, it would feel like be a huge financial and time wasted on this path and a lot of resistance from those around me. If I continue, it could possibly be an even bigger wager of time, money, and effort on a "maybe" I'll change my mind during clinicals. I think about this on a daily basis now. Anyone who have experience care to give some advice? 
    • By emccoskey
      Hi everyone, 
      I am starting my clinical year in January 2021, but you can never get too ahead of the game! My SO works from home and would like for me to do my rotations in Texas, in the Austin or Dallas area if possible (I know these areas are saturated). I go to a school that will allow me to do as many rotations out of state as I would like. With COVID I realize that this may be impossible, but does anyone have recommendations on contacting preceptors in the state of Texas so that I can ask about doing rotations there? Any information would be helpful, and once again I do acknowledge that this is a long shot with that state of the world right now! TYIA

Important Information

Welcome to the Physician Assistant Forum! This website uses cookies to ensure you get the best experience on our website. Learn More