I never realized the heart was so low

My wife watches that show and was telling me about it. So I watch it with her sometimes. The medicine is umm... Well... TV show Medicine. They also push the nurse's (Nic) role all over the place. First she's a floor nurse who impressed Pravesh (the first year) so much so that he asked a colleague why Nic didn't go to med school and the colleague says "she is getting her doctorate in Nursing." like that's the same [emoji849] and then they have her switch roles from NP to Floor Nurse but she only says she is an NP because she is at the bedside doing EVERYTHING like hanging med bags and giving pills etc... and if she is a NP her name tag says "BSN, NP. " umm... Whut?

Anyhoo, I prefer Chicago Med (where they at least wear their stethoscopes properly not like the resident where everyone has the earpieces the other way around) but all tv medical shows are very flawed. My wife is an accountant and thinks the show is good drama. I'm like whatever... But I watch it with her sometimes because "happy wife, happy life."

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using Tapatalk

3 hours ago, sas5814 said:

I watch a lot of science fiction.

After seeing people with "fevers" who don't own thermometers and who think zithromax is a product of the Vatican, and a guy yesterday who wanted bactrim for plantar fasciitis, I'm pretty sure that's what medicine is.  It certainly isn't science non-fiction.

I was watching "Doc Martin" yesterday and was into the Behind The Scenes featurettes and Martin Clunes made an interesting observation - there is actually a law in the UK that says medical depictions in TV series/movies have to be factual, unlike in the US/Canadian market where you get drivel like this nonsense.  Heck, even "Scrubs", generally considered to be decent, had "camera aesthetic shots" like JD"s appendix being removed from his left vs his right due to better angles.  Something like that would cut out the BS and agendae that many people who produce garbage such as "The Resident" have...problem is, much like the internet, people believe the shyte they see, despite what those of us REALLY in the know actually know.

SK

My favorite on a TV medical scene is the sound of the monitor - but no monitor in sight. No leads sticking out - the patient has on makeup and hair looks good and somehow open heart surgery is supported by nasal cannula oxygen.

My husband HATES watching medical shows or scenes with me - even on NCIS - the ME mispronounces the names of body parts, medications and somehow a super basic drug is now a murder weapon of impressive capacity. I chuckle. Also find it fun that DNA can be matched in - oh, 5 minutes - while our local paper is reporting that DNA on the body found in the river will take 4-6 weeks.

No wonder my patients think I can fix everything with a Zpak and an off work note......

Worst offense I have seen was in "The Wolverine" where the girlfriend of Logan feigned death because they gave her "a very powerful drug to slow down her heart rate..." the drug is.... Hydrochlorothiazide!

Pravesh (intern) was also tasked with a menial task like calling insurance companies by his senior resident and said, "Can't you get a physician's assistant to do this?"
Yeah that was the same episode... That really irked me.

Archived