Guest Janab

Hi everyone!

Does anyone here know what the preferred housing options are for the students in the PA program? Is it more convenient/affordable for the students to live in the dorms on campus or do most of the students commute from elsewhere in Manhattan/another boro for the entirety of the program? Thanks in advance!

• 2 weeks later...

Most students don’t live in student housing. The housing provided as of now is on Roosevelt island and costs about 1400-1600/mo. Most students find an apartment in the upper east side of manhattan or midtown east (which is closer to the program) for 1100-1400/mo per person (usually sharing with one or two other people). Some people commute from Queens and Brooklyn. You can allot how much a month you pay for rent into your loan money if you opt to take out loans. 

Guest Janab
On 4/15/2018 at 0:25 PM, KM2019 said:

Most students don’t live in student housing. The housing provided as of now is on Roosevelt island and costs about 1400-1600/mo. Most students find an apartment in the upper east side of manhattan or midtown east (which is closer to the program) for 1100-1400/mo per person (usually sharing with one or two other people). Some people commute from Queens and Brooklyn. You can allot how much a month you pay for rent into your loan money if you opt to take out loans. 

This is very helpful, thank you! Do you know if the students typically live with other students?

• 1 month later...
  • 3 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...

It’s definitely difficult to commute from NJ, I did it for about a month and then moved to Manhattan... so for didactic year I would say it’s possible (but very difficult), for clinical year it’s impossible if you’re only using public transportation (most surgery rotations require you be there at 5 or 5:30am, in whatever borough the hospital is in) since I’m pretty sure there aren’t any trains earlier than like 4:30 leaving jersey this wouldn’t get you there in time. 

• 3 months later...

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

• Similar Content

• By KevinFNF
      Looking for Physician Assistants for an Online Research Study sponsored by the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC)
      The topic of the study will be about practices and opinions regarding disease prevention, screening, and identification
      The study will be done as a 60 minute online interview, and pays $275
      *Must be a Physician Assistant in California
      To qualify, click on the link below
      https://www.surveymonkey.com/r/JGQB6R9
    • By eluch15
      To all of the current PA students/graduates out there: What do you wish you considered more when deciding on a PA program? Do you have any regrets choosing your specific PA program and why? For instance, do you wish you focused more on the style of their didactic curriculum, their clinicals, etc? 
      I would love to hear your thoughts! I think most applicants don't realize the importance of a certain factor until they finally attend a program. I would love to hear advice about what you wish you knew or considered before choosing the right PA program for you! 
    • By kluu1
      Hi I was wondering if anyone ever took the Masters in Medical Science program from UNTHSC before applying for PA school?
      It's a 1 rigorous program.
      I am interested in applying for it to possibly strengthen my application, but I would love some insight from anyone who had taken it too.
    • By HopefulthinkingPA
      What are my chances to get into a PA program? What programs would accept me? Or should I apply to post bacc/ or masters program? 
      I have a 2.88 GPA. BS in Human Biology. I have not taken the GRE. I am 26yrs Female AA. I have well over 1000 hours of clinical experience (paid, nonpaid/volunteer).
      I currently took a leave of absence from my position as a High-school science teacher, to take Biochemistry, Epidemiology and study for MCAT (plan on applying to Master of Biomedical to gain acceptance into DO school which is my ultimate dream). I am also considering PA school 
      MY  Letters Of Recommendation is from a  Chief PA at a  hospital and 2 MDs that are Directors  of Hospital. 

I want to remain hopeful but my dreams seem like they are drifting further away from me each day. I need advice.

• By Maylily7
      Hello!
      I was wondering if anyone accepted into Boston University's program could share or message their application stats (gpa, HCE...), I want to know whether, if I were to apply in a later cycle I could be considered a competitive applicant. Thank you for reading this and thank you for your time, I appreciate it a lot!
      -Maylily7
      P.S. I'll put my stats here if ya want to comment on my chances of acceptance: cGPA 3.7, sGPA 3.5, Dean's List 7/8 semesters (currently in my last semester), about 100 hours volunteering for my school's EMS. I don't have a lot of Patient care hours but I am hoping to take a gap year and work on that. I also hope to retake the GRE to improve my score as well. Again, thanks so much!

Important Information

Welcome to the Physician Assistant Forum! This website uses cookies to ensure you get the best experience on our website. Learn More