University of Tampa PA Program

On 9/17/2018 at 9:23 PM, Hygiene2020 said:

Did the interview invite offer several dates to chose from?

It was an email with a link attached to accept. October 8th was the only specific date mentioned, but there was an option for wishing to interview at a different time that wasn’t specified. They also call to confirm the interview once I accepted online. 

1 minute ago, amh2021 said:

Hey guys I know this is unrelated to UT but since you all applied in Florida I was wondering if anyone has looked into or applied to Gannon University in Ruskin, FL?

I live 5 minutes from this school and I did some research because I am starting to lose hope with my other schools...turns out the program is for high school graduates looking to become a PA in 5 years. SO the program is 5 yr long from what I am reading and they offer seats to bac students but preference is given to hs students.

2 minutes ago, Hbryan1 said:

I live 5 minutes from this school and I did some research because I am starting to lose hope with my other schools...turns out the program is for high school graduates looking to become a PA in 5 years. SO the program is 5 yr long from what I am reading and they offer seats to bac students but preference is given to hs students.

I think you're looking into their campus in Erie! They have a brand new 2 year program for after your bachelor's degree! I have an interview there on the 18th so I've been trying to see if others have applied! http://www.gannon.edu/Academic-Offerings/Health-Professions-and-Sciences/Graduate/Master-of-Physician-Assistant-Science/

This is the link to the program!

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Hbryan1 said:

That’s really interesting. Any links that we can read more about this online?

1 minute ago, amh2021 said:

I think you're looking into their campus in Erie! They have a brand new 2 year program for after your bachelor's degree! I have an interview there on the 18th so I've been trying to see if others have applied! http://www.gannon.edu/Academic-Offerings/Health-Professions-and-Sciences/Graduate/Master-of-Physician-Assistant-Science/

This is the link to the program!

Ok yes I do see where it says they offer a post-bac program. Thank you for clarifying.

1 minute ago, Kelciejag said:

I didn’t even know this school existed!! Has anyone heard anything about it or who is running the program? Let me know what you guys think? 

Thanks!! 

I don't want to keep bothering anyone on this thread so I will make a post about it under the Gannon thread I made if you wanna check that out!

• Like 1

Here are my stats

BS in Healthcare Administration

cGPA:3.48

sGPA:3.38

No GRE

PCE: over 15,000 (Air Force Medic) for 14 years

HCE: over 5,000

Volunteer: over 500 (Meals on Wheels, Habitat for Humanity, Marie Wilkinson for Pantry, Hurricane Maria Relief efforts)

Shawdowing: over 500, 1 ER PA, 1 Urgent Care PA/ Flight Medicine PA. Worked in both areas that’s why my shawdowing is so high plus I used my free weekends to shadow full shifts. 

Certifications: EMT, CPR, CCT

1 hour ago, Kelciejag said:

@Ollivander thanks for sharing! Congrats on your interview! I’m still hoping to get one soon!! 

Thank you! Sorry about that! I edited my post because I did a quick second take of the original post and they had said accepted, not interviewing.

For those of you curious about stats of someone invited for an interview though...

Overall Undergrad GPA: 3.44

Cumulative Undergrad Science GPA: 3.43

GRE: 149 Verbal, 156 Math, 4.0 Analytical Writing

Direct Patient Care: OR Clinical Assistant (1,700+ hours and counting)

•    Experience in the operating room including operating a fluoroscopic C-arm, operating an ultrasound, drawing medications, performing blood glucose tests, and prepping patients during vascular surgery and interventional pain management procedures.
•    Experience performing nerve conduction studies (NCS) and assisting with electromyography (EMG) tests.
•    Experience assisting with new patient visits including triaging, collecting urine samples, taking medical history, obtaining a history of a patient’s present illness, scribing for the physician, explaining treatment procedures to patients, making prescriptions, making imaging orders, entering patient medical history and plan of care into EHR, and discharging the patient.
•    Experience in triage including taking a blood pressure and pulse, collecting urine drug screens, collecting oral drug screens, performing pill counts, conducting a comfort assessment, obtaining a pain score, confirming pharmacy and primary care providers, and reviewing current medications.
•    Experience assisting the physician with a CTEV laser during endovenous laser ablations.

Volunteer/Leadership: ~2,000+ hours

Shadowing: 21 hours with Pain & Rehabilitation PA and a Trauma/Burn ER PA

Letters of Rec: 4 total (2 MDs, 1 work supervisor, 1 academic advisor/professor)

Application Verified: July 27th - July 31st (varies per school)

Edited by Ollivander

On 9/21/2018 at 12:02 PM, Prospetive85 said:

Anyone who got accepted willing to share their stats?  Trying to gauge my expectation for this school

Hey! I have an interview October 8! I don’t mind sharing! This is my first application cycle, and I am an out of state applicant from Tennessee  

Graduated May 2018

degree: BS in Health Science/Microbiology 

minor: psychology 

cGPA: 3.72

sGPA: 3.60

direct patient care: 2000+ hours as a phlebotomist 

volunteer/leadership: 1000+ hours (big brother big sister, Remote Area Medical Clinics, youth camps, academic peer tutor, etc.)

shadowing: 350+ hours (PAs, NPs, MDs) in cardiology, pediatrics, radiology, orthopedics, family medicine, internal medicine, ob/gyn, critical pulmonary care ICU, surgery

research: worked with a patent-pending burn treatment with antimicrobial properties for 2.5 years of undergrad 

letters of recommendation: 5 total (electrophysiology cardiologist, family medicine PA, microbiology research professor, anatomy and physiology professor, undergraduate health science academic advisor)

Congrats to those receiving interviews!

I just happened to go back and check out the website again. I did not realize how expensive this program is projected to be. The website says $110,465 ? total (and that's not out of state cost). I know they're planning on having some pretty amazing resources but geez that's expensive for a brand new un-established program!

6 minutes ago, SoonToBePAC said:

Congrats to those receiving interviews!

I just happened to go back and check out the website again. I did not realize how expensive this program is projected to be. The website says $110,465 ? total (and that's not out of state cost). I know they're planning on having some pretty amazing resources but geez that's expensive for a brand new un-established program!

As a new program who doesn't even yet have provisional accreditation and may not have it by the time their first class graduates, they should offer a discounted rate to at least that first class. That price is completely unethical and is the reason I chose to not apply to this program. If you can afford it, go for it, and good luck to all, but if UT staff are reading this - please reconsider your cost.

• Like 1