University of Tampa PA Program

• 3 weeks later...
On 4/27/2018 at 7:41 PM, andalv14 said:

I'm interested in this program as well! Does anyone know how to submit the healthcare hours/ shadowing hours on the Documents tab in their CASPA? Is there an specific form I should be using? 

I'm wondering why they even have a separate document tab for that because we will have already entered it in the experience section. Unless they want like actual signatures from the people you shadowed?

5 hours ago, Gizmo said:

I reached out to the program. They said that it would be fine to submit a word doc including:

• the number of hours worked
  • your role and responsibilities
  • where this work was performed
  • over what length of time

So basically the experiences section, but including only the healthcare experiences. Hope this helps everyone.

Do we need to add phone numbers and supervisors to that list?

• Upvote 1

• 4 weeks later...

I also got emails from them and looked into it and it seems like it will be a great program! I'm considering applying but after looking at the website I'm a bit confused by the facilities. Everything online looked like digital models of a projected facility (that looks incredible!) Does anyone know when those facilities will actually be open for students, and what will be used in the mean time if they get their provisional accreditation?

4 hours ago, SoonToBePAC said:

I also got emails from them and looked into it and it seems like it will be a great program! I'm considering applying but after looking at the website I'm a bit confused by the facilities. Everything online looked like digital models of a projected facility (that looks incredible!) Does anyone know when those facilities will actually be open for students, and what will be used in the mean time if they get their provisional accreditation?

From what I understand, the building is being constructed right now and should be done before the first PA class starts next Fall if they get accredited. Thy have a nursing program though so I'd imagine if it came to it PA would go somewhere there until it was finished. But the website says its anticipated being finished in 2018.

• Upvote 1

On 6/4/2018 at 11:33 AM, varous86 said:

Has anyone submitted yet? 

UT PA program has a virtual Q&A for anyone interested in the program

I haven't, I'm trying to figure out what to write for their personal statement attachment? Anyone ask them what they are looking for here specifically? I don't know what else to say outside the CASPA personal statement.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, whitecoatrosegold said:

I haven't, I'm trying to figure out what to write for their personal statement attachment? Anyone ask them what they are looking for here specifically? I don't know what else to say outside the CASPA personal statement.

I contacted the program and they said that the additional personal statement is optional! So you could construct an additional one that is more specific to UT or simply use your general CASPA personal statement.

• Like 1

22 hours ago, whitecoatrosegold said:

It's optional. I did the virtual campus tour Q&A with Rachel, and she said it is optional and will not be held against you.

• Upvote 1

19 hours ago, varous86 said:

It's optional. I did the virtual campus tour Q&A with Rachel, and she said it is optional and will not be held against you.

Thank you guys! Are either of you not writing one? I feel like it can only help to include SOMETHING there, but I don't want to be repetitive and I'm feeling pretty burned out from the other school applications I've done. Have you applied yet? Good luck to everyone!

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

53 minutes ago, whitecoatrosegold said:

Thank you guys! Are either of you not writing one? I feel like it can only help to include SOMETHING there, but I don't want to be repetitive and I'm feeling pretty burned out from the other school applications I've done. Have you applied yet? Good luck to everyone!

I feel this exact same way. After already submitting so many applications and supplemental applications another essay to write is not ideal. But I want to give myself the best chance. I'm planning on submitting today or tomorrow and I'm still deciding on this additional personal statement ?  but I'm probably going to end up doing it. 

Edited by SoonToBePAC
  • Upvote 2

59 minutes ago, whitecoatrosegold said:

No I’m not writing one I just hope it’s not held against me. I believe my personal statement is strong enough, HCE experience and gpa. I’ll take my chances

• Like 2

If I end up getting in and attending I think I'll definitely make a suggestion to the ADCOM. Several parts of the application are repetitive. Needing to write an additional personal statement, and even the extra document for clinical hours ? like there's a reason we already put all this stuff into CASPA!

Haha okay, I'm done. Just needed to vent for a sec. Best of luck to everyone applying! 

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, varous86 said:

No I’m not writing one I just hope it’s not held against me. I believe my personal statement is strong enough, HCE experience and gpa. I’ll take my chances

Your positive attitude is BEAUTIFUL and I just wanna say YOU GO! Please share some of that with me. I defiantly don't think it's going to be held against you since its not required to submit.

Would you mind sharing your stats either here or in a message? Totally fine to say no I'm just curious. For anyone interested in mine, I'll share them. I consider myself an average-ish applicant but I sort of hope since Tampa is a brand new program they'll get a fewer amount of applicants since not everyone might know about them and be more open to average for their first class. 

• B.S. Biological Sciences & B.S. Criminology
  • cGPA: 3.43
  • sGPA: 3.32
  • GRE: N/A; chose to apply to programs that didn't require it and spend money for more schools vs. pay for GRE and apply to less
  • PCE: 6,210 hours as an EMT in various settings (911 calls, transport, beach first-aid, horse-show EMT)
  • Volunteer: 300 +4,000 PCE was volunteer/community service (organized bone marrow registry drives on campus, held volunteer position in my fraternity, and did a service trip to the Dominican Republic
  • Shadowing: 60 hours (2 PA's in Emergency Department)
  • Leadership: have roughly 1,000 hours (field training officer in EMS, executive position for fraternity, MCI drill planning chief)
  • Multiple awards/honors through EMS, Dean's List
  • Certifications: EMT, CPR, CEVO, a few FEMA certifications
8 minutes ago, SoonToBePAC said:

If I end up getting in and attending I think I'll definitely make a suggestion to the ADCOM. Several parts of the application are repetitive. Needing to write an additional personal statement, and even the extra document for clinical hours ? like there's a reason we already put all this stuff into CASPA!

Haha okay, I'm done. Just needed to vent for a sec. Best of luck to everyone applying! 

Oh gosh, do we need a separate document for all our clinical experience TOO?! That isn't starred in the application, just the shadowing. Ugh, I have so many. How did you do it? Literally copy/paste what you have in CASPA into a document? 

@whitecoatrosegold Yup it's the only required section in the documents. It's called  "Shadowing/Healthcare Hours". This is the only portion of the documents section that is required (starred) so the rest is considered "optional". Someone in this forum reached out the them about it and they want ⬇️

On 5/9/2018 at 5:54 PM, aspiringpastudent615 said:

I reached out to the program. They said that it would be fine to submit a word doc including:

• the number of hours worked
  • your role and responsibilities
  • where this work was performed
  • over what length of time

So basically the experiences section, but including only the healthcare experiences. Hope this helps everyone.

I just created mine and I was initially going to do like week by week but the document would end up being way too long and messy. So I essentially just made a table in Word including everything the user above said they wanted. As opposed to documenting week by week I just did total number of hours. 

1 minute ago, SoonToBePAC said:

@whitecoatrosegold Yup it's the only required section in the documents. It's called  "Shadowing/Healthcare Hours". This is the only portion of the documents section that is required (starred) so the rest is considered "optional". Someone in this forum reached out the them about it and they want ⬇️

I just created mine and I was initially going to do like week by week but the document would end up being way too long and messy. So I essentially just made a table in Word including everything the user above said they wanted. As opposed to documenting week by week I just did total number of hours. 

So I just called and was told they want EVERY experience we've had, including non-healthcare related experience. It could be split so the shadowing/healthcare lists only the shadowing and healthcare and clinical/profession has everything else or the shadowing/healthcare has just shadowing and the clinical/professional has everything else. Not really sure why since it's all in CASPA, but....

Also told the second statement is optional and as long as we have one in CASPA (again, required in CASPA...) we were good. 

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, whitecoatrosegold said:

So I just called and was told they want EVERY experience we've had, including non-healthcare related experience. It could be split so the shadowing/healthcare lists only the shadowing and healthcare and clinical/profession has everything else or the shadowing/healthcare has just shadowing and the clinical/professional has everything else. Not really sure why since it's all in CASPA, but....

Also told the second statement is optional and as long as we have one in CASPA (again, required in CASPA...) we were good. 

PERFECT!! Thanks so much for the clarification! I won't be writing one then. Submitting now ?