New Grad ED Offer

Hello all,

I was offered a full-time job in an emergency department in a low cost of living area and was looking for some thoughts on it. Overall I think it's a good offer being a new grad in a field that can be difficult to get into. Here's the details:

• Wage: 60/hr first year with $10/hr nighttime differential. Increases to $65/75 the 2nd year. 140 hrs/ month requirement.
  • 1.5x pay for anything over 40 hours and holidays.
  • 144hrs PTO - unused paid out at the end of each year. Additional 40hrs long-term sickness which accrues each year
  • $2,500 CME.... I pay for licensing (plan to negotiate this out next contract)
  • $2,500 upfront relocation reimbursement.
  • Health, dental, vision, life insurance included
  • 401k 50% match up to 6%
  • Malpractice with tail
  • First week of training is full pay, anything more is half pay at $30/hr (pretty strict with this unfortunately).

Pretty pleased. They are offering up to 3 months of training but essentially whenever I feel ready. I don't have any other offers.

10 minutes ago, TheTrashMan said:

Hello all,

I was offered a full-time job in an emergency department in a low cost of living area and was looking for some thoughts on it. Overall I think it's a good offer being a new grad in a field that can be difficult to get into. Here's the details:

• Wage: 60/hr first year with $10/hr nighttime differential. Increases to $65/75 the 2nd year. 140 hrs/ month requirement.
  • 1.5x pay for anything over 40 hours and holidays.
  • 144hrs PTO - unused paid out at the end of each year. Additional 40hrs long-term sickness which accrues each year
  • $2,500 CME.... I pay for licensing (plan to negotiate this out next contract)
  • $2,500 upfront relocation reimbursement.
  • Health, dental, vision, life insurance included
  • 401k 50% match up to 6%
  • Malpractice with tail
  • First week of training is full pay, anything more is half pay at $30/hr (pretty strict with this unfortunately).

Pretty pleased. They are offering up to 3 months of training but essentially whenever I feel ready. I don't have any other offers.

Not bad, I would get the licensing paid for as well as increased the relocation to at least $4,000. (I got $7,000) and move only 3 hrs away (cost about $4,000 for me to move that far). Do you have to pay a % for your health/dental/vision or is it paid in full (should be in full IMO). The training pay sucks, but what are you going to do...You can try to increase it to $40/hr or something...

Archived