Should I continue?

Hello! 

If you cant tell, I'm pretty new here to this website. Anyway, I recently discovered the PA profession and after shadowing several PAs (and looking into it more online), I have a very strong interest in the profession.

I am a 1st year undergrad Biology major with a Minor in psychology. My first semester was a rocky start. I was recently diagnosed with generalized anxiety disorder and ADD and have had to learn to manage it by myself, because I'm away from home, along with handling 17 credit hours of work and figuring out how college worked in general. During my first semester, I ended up with a D- in the lecture portion of general chemistry I and a B- in the lab. I also received a D+ in statistics. I ended up with a GPA of 2.2 for the semester because of these low grades, the rest of my classes were a C+ (history), several Bs-B+(philosophy, classical studies), and an A (Choir).

This semester (my second semester) I am retaking both classes. General Chemistry I lecture is looking like it will be a C and statistics a B/B+. I am also taking the first half of the General Biology sequence this semester and for Lecture its looking like a C and Lab a B. These grades are a huge step up for me compared to last semester and the beginning of this semester, but I worry that I won't have a chance of getting into a PA school? Maybe it's just my anxiety, but I wanted to ask and see what someone else thinks, other than my pre-health track adviser, who basically just told me to give up and that I wouldn't be cut out for it, although I think that I can because I have a good handle on my anxiety and ADD, I figured out study habits that work for me,and I use my academic resources like tutoring, office hours, and weekly meetings with an academic success advisor.

Thanks!

If the best you can get in the intro courses is a C you will likely have some difficulty being accepted. That being said, many students find their stride later in college and have an upward trend in grades which can help them get in. My concern for you is that you say you haveyour symptoms under control yet are still only able to manage a C on the second attempt at chemistry and in intro biology. The average PA accepted student probably has a 3.4-3.5 GPA, which is a B+/A- average. 

I realize that. I've only recently gotten them under control, I'm at a C because of a rough beginning, I was at an F in the beginning. I have a 75 in biology and depending on how well I do on the upcoming test and final, I could very well have a B. Same with chemistry. However, maybe I'll just consider a different profession instead...or at least have a plan B.

Thanks!

1 hour ago, JVOliver said:

General Chemistry I lecture is looking like it will be a C and statistics a B/B+.

The Chemistry retake, try to get a higher score than a C.  I know easier said than done, but your average will be too low if you got a D- in the first attempt and are only getting a C now.  You will be able to move onto General Chemistry II with a C, but I don't know where that puts you for any schools that require General Chemistry I.  I think they are averaged for applications...perhaps I am wrong on this?

I am also taking the first half of the General Biology sequence this semester and for Lecture its looking like a C and Lab a B.

Again, try to pull up the C to at least a B.  Labs are typically easy As, if you can get that A in lab then you can balance it out better.  Try to figure out what you are doing wrong in lab to make it better.  Lab reports, quizzes, pre-labs...where ever you are loosing the points.  

These grades are a huge step up for me compared to last semester and the beginning of this semester, but I worry that I won't have a chance of getting into a PA school?

A lot of people on here including myself had to pull ourselves up out of a GPA hole to get into PA school.  You can turn in around, but I would stress the importance of As or at least B+ and above.  B will not help you because that is typically the minimum, a 3.0.  Every B you get will only pull you closer to a 3.0, but you will not reach it with only Bs because of the grades you already have.  As in the sciences will pull you above.  Keep in mind, CASPA, the PA school application service, will calculate science GPA and cumulative GPA.  Your science GPA is likely somewhere below 1.67 with the three classes (if the Chem and Biology remain how you say).  Around 5 As in science courses will get you somewhere above 3.0 for a science GPA.  

9 minutes ago, Ket131 said:

The Chemistry retake, try to get a higher score than a C.  I know easier said than done, but your average will be too low if you got a D- in the first attempt and are only getting a C now.  You will be able to move onto General Chemistry II with a C, but I don't know where that puts you for any schools that require General Chemistry I.  I think they are averaged for applications...perhaps I am wrong on this?

Again, try to pull up the C to at least a B.  Labs are typically easy As, if you can get that A in lab then you can balance it out better.  Try to figure out what you are doing wrong in lab to make it better.  Lab reports, quizzes, pre-labs...where ever you are loosing the points.  

A lot of people on here including myself had to pull ourselves up out of a GPA hole to get into PA school.  You can turn in around, but I would stress the importance of As or at least B+ and above.  B will not help you because that is typically the minimum, a 3.0.  Every B you get will only pull you closer to a 3.0, but you will not reach it with only Bs because of the grades you already have.  As in the sciences will pull you above.  Keep in mind, CASPA, the PA school application service, will calculate science GPA and cumulative GPA.  Your science GPA is likely somewhere below 1.67 with the three classes (if the Chem and Biology remain how you say).  Around 5 As in science courses will get you somewhere above 3.0 for a science GPA.  

I Believe you are right, that they average them all together. It also depends on the school itself. A couple of them do their own averages and take the grade replacement, while others (the majority) don’t (I think). 

Im actively trying to get them up to Bs so I could have something to better work with in future semesters and raising/keeping my GPA. I really have a firm understanding of what’s being taught (in biology, genetics/Chemistry combustion, redox, precipitation reactions) so I should do pretty well on the tests. 

The chemistry final is standardized, last semester I got an 89 on the final, so I were to think I’ll be ok on this one as well.   

In biology lab, I’m losing points on the quizzes. When I don’t understand a topic, I go to his office hours...but he’s not all that helpful, so now my lab partner helps me, but with some things she doesn’t explain very clearly (or right...) We have one more quiz set and then a final. I’m at an 86 in the Bio Lab class, so it’s definitely possible and I believe I can do it.

Im in a tough spot but I’ll pull myself out of it...and stay out of it. 

3 minutes ago, HMB said:

Check out Khan Academy or Crash Course on You Tube for further explanations on topics you don't understand. You Tube has been a life saver for me on many accounts (Bio, A&P, Chem). Good luck!

Oh yeah! I’ll try that too. I remember in chemistry when he was teaching hybrid orbitals and I just didn’t understand, then I watched a 2 minute video on YouTube and understood it completely ?

Ill try that too. 

Don't give up so soon if it is something you find interesting! During undergrad we had this anatomy instructor that thought she was the lord of knowing what students were going to succeed and which were not. Turns out that she had no idea what she was talking about. Students that didn't make A's but had passion or the will to succeed made it to their goals. 

Also, don't let a diagnosis define you or stop you from realizing your dreams no matter what field you go into. I am studying at a medical school right now and there are posters promoting a lecture/information session from a medical student that has bipolar disorder. I have had my own struggles from undergrad and now in PA school with anxiety and some symptoms of ADD (not enough to meet DSM-5 criteria), but I can tell you that I am doing fine academically.

You are early on the road and some mishaps along the way will not eliminate you from a specific field if you take control of your education from this point forward. Watch some motivational videos. My current favorite is Dr. Buck, I find that his stories are motivating for some reason.

19 hours ago, JVOliver said:

I am currently a Freshman, finishing up my second semester. 

Okay, you have plenty of time to recover. Your next step is to continue taking upper level classes. If the program requires each pre-requisite to be a solid B or above and if I were you (and I am not) I would retake them and then continue on and take oChem 1+2 and ace them, biochem, genetics, microbiology, immunology, pathophysiology, endocrinology and ACE all of them. In addition to that start earning direct paid patient care experience early on so you can end up with hours above the average applicant pool. Also cut back on the amount of semester credit hours you're taking. Protect that GPA with all your might.

If the programs require a C or above skip retaking and go to the upper level classes. This shows that you have the determination to overcome a hurdle which can translate into being successful in PA school. However, this requires you to revamp your study habits etc and get all your medical affairs under control. Do not give up so early

Archived