New grad urgent care offer

Garbage offer.

• 36 hours of PTO after YEAR TWO. Yet a normal work week for you is 40.5 hours. So their oh so generous PTO package, after you've worked there for an entire year, is to give you a cut in pay for your meager week off.
    • If you get sick (and you will working UC), your 3 days paid vacation is now down to 2
  • No CME/Conference time
  • Two hours drive between locations?! Are they paying you for your time, travel & wear/tear on your vehicle?

You're a valuable asset to a place like an UC where just a handful of 99202 and 99203 visits pay for your entire day's wage. Go work for a place that will trickle at least a meager portion of that income your way in the form of a decent benefits package.

1 hour ago, Paigems said:

Time split between 2 locations 2 hrs apart. 3 13.5 hr shifts/wk. $52/hr. Malpractice and health insurance coverage. No PTO the first year. 36 hrs PTO the second year (this includes sick and vacation time). No CME time or allowance. Thoughts? 

This sounds pretty crappy and recipe for new grad (and any PA in general) abuse and burnout...

Any limits on scheduling PTO, e.g., back to back or swapping shifts? For instance, can you schedule a Thurs-Sat and then a Mon-Wed and then take off a whole week? Any 401k? Patient load per day?

How do they propose to handle sickness without providing sick days? Do they expect you to work while vomiting or in between bathroom breaks or call someone in to cover for OT? Any OT? 

33 minutes ago, Sed said:

This sounds pretty crappy and recipe for new grad (and any PA in general) abuse and burnout...

Any limits on scheduling PTO, e.g., back to back or swapping shifts? For instance, can you schedule a Thurs-Sat and then a Mon-Wed and then take off a whole week? Any 401k? Patient load per day?

How do they propose to handle sickness without providing sick days? Do they expect you to work while vomiting or in between bathroom breaks or call someone in to cover for OT? Any OT? 

The schedule is random from what they've told me. So shifts could be back to back or separated. I would not be making my own schedule so I doubt I would have the kind of flexibility you're talking about.

No 401k, 2-3 patients an hour, possibly more. I would have to have someone cover me if I'm sick. I would not be paid for the day I'm sick, but I could possibly take someone else's shift. They did not say anything about OT. I will need to ask about that.

36 minutes ago, Paigems said:

The schedule is random from what they've told me. So shifts could be back to back or separated. I would not be making my own schedule so I doubt I would have the kind of flexibility you're talking about.

No 401k, 2-3 patients an hour, possibly more. I would have to have someone cover me if I'm sick. I would not be paid for the day I'm sick, but I could possibly take someone else's shift. They did not say anything about OT. I will need to ask about that.

This sounds crappy. You better hope your colleagues are team workers and supportive. And on top of that, they expect you to see about 30 pt OR MORE per day without the ability to take any vacay or a sick day or 401k or CME (which, BTW, is required for your license which they should also cover)? Screw that. They should pay you twice that amount for that kind of nonsense. 

Stay. Away. Just say no to that "offer."

11 minutes ago, marktheshark89 said:

Horrible. Not even worth countering or considering. 

Thanks for your thoughts. I actually did counter. I countered to work at one location (Because between the two is just farmland so not really anywhere to live. Also the original job positing was for only one location.). I also asked for PTO and sick along with CME time and allowance. I'm waiting to hear back. 

• 2 weeks later...

I wanted to update and share how this turned out. I countered their offer and wound up getting them to agree on one location. However, they would not budge on the benefits. I accepted against the advice you guys gave me here. 

About a week and a half later I was supposed to come in to fill out new employee paperwork. They pulled a bait and switch and told me the position would no longer be for the location that was agreed upon. I was very upset and told them I would no longer be working with them. It is just unfortunate because for about 2 weeks I put my job search on hold. I was burned pretty badly. I should have taken the benefits as a bigger red flag than I did. 

3 hours ago, Paigems said:

I wanted to update and share how this turned out. I countered their offer and wound up getting them to agree on one location. However, they would not budge on the benefits. I accepted against the advice you guys gave me here. 

About a week and a half later I was supposed to come in to fill out new employee paperwork. They pulled a bait and switch and told me the position would no longer be for the location that was agreed upon. I was very upset and told them I would no longer be working with them. It is just unfortunate because for about 2 weeks I put my job search on hold. I was burned pretty badly. I should have taken the benefits as a bigger red flag than I did. 

Bit of advice: next time you ask for advice on an offer and everyone here, with the combined decades of experience in the field, tells you to walk away.... the answer is walk away. There was zero chance that job was going to be anything worth your time. It was going to be the definition of everything we collectively hate about for-profit corporate medicine. 

Archived