I have ~5 years of experience. This offer is from a big hospital with a well integrated PA practice, in a moderate cost-of-living area.

- Salary 125K.

- 12 hour shifts with 1:3 weekends and 1:4 nights. Required to work 2 federal holidays per year. Shift differential amounts to ~5K per year by my calculation.

- 403b with 2% match.

- Pension (!) vested at 3 years of service.

- Health insurance 80/20 until out of pocket max. Vision and dental through reimbursement account that is pretty generously funded, IMO. FSA and dependent care accounts available.

- 22 days PTO, includes sick time.

- 4K dedicated CME funds, plus 5 days CME time separate from PTO.

Unclear about malpractice coverage. 

I'm pretty pleased with the offer since it's a step up from my current salary and the benefits seem good but I would welcome outside perspectives. This is the first time I've ever come across someplace still offering a pension, so I don't know how to look at that. The way the nights and weekends are structured seems like a lot of work but I don't know if it's worth arguing about with the salary being what it is. I was also told that a lot of the PAs in the group prefer weekends and nights and are often wanting to trade for them (no guarantees, of course).

Crucial to mention how many shifts per year you will be working otherwise salary is much less useful of a number.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Good point. I was quoted 40 shifts per quarter, average of 6-7 shifts per two week pay period. This is not a 7/7 position, although some of the PAs in the group choose to work that way or close to it.

Region of the country? I'm in the PNW and as a new grade a couple years back was offered 118k for an entry level hospitalist gig, I'm sure that doesn't translate the same across the country but with 5 years experience I'd hope for a bit more.  Although with your PTO/CME etc. that comes out to around $78/hr so not bad.

If it's a step up in your current salary and you like the group the rest of it seems like a fairly well rounded offer.  $4K CME is outta this world in my mind!

I do not like to work weekends and for me that would get old very quick. Also, the night shifts 1:4, how many shifts is that? Will that be for the entire week or just the weekend, etc? The 2% match and vested after 3 years is not that great. Health insurance is 80/20, what do you mean until out of pocket max? Are they paying 80% or do you mean 80/20 plan with YOU paying the premium? I would have them pay ALL the health insurance. With you experience I do not think this is that great of an offer with the moderate COL as you stated.  

I'm in the midwest. 

I will get clarification on the nights, because I didn't ask specifically how many nights there are in a row. I was told you get assigned a month-long block of nights but work the same number you usually would work days. So that would be 12-13 shifts per month.

Health insurance premiums are paid partially by me, and partially by the hospital. 80/20 is the coinsurance numbers. They pay 80% til I reach the out of pocket max and then pay everything.

Because it's a big hospital I know I have absolutely no negotiating room on bennies.

The salary without benefits is coming out at $60/hour.

Still not great for my cup of tea. I would never work nights again as for me you have to give up a lot of your life for that and you bet I better be getting more than just $60/hr for that plus some bennies. If it was me I would not take that job.

On 4/4/2018 at 3:50 PM, QOD4U said:

I'm in the midwest. 

I will get clarification on the nights, because I didn't ask specifically how many nights there are in a row. I was told you get assigned a month-long block of nights but work the same number you usually would work days. So that would be 12-13 shifts per month.

Health insurance premiums are paid partially by me, and partially by the hospital. 80/20 is the coinsurance numbers. They pay 80% til I reach the out of pocket max and then pay everything.

Because it's a big hospital I know I have absolutely no negotiating room on bennies.

The salary without benefits is coming out at $60/hour.

So if it's 1:4 nights, and they schedule you a month of nights in one block (which if you are going to do it is the way to do it for your health) that means you are looking at 3 months a year of night shift.....  I'd start my counter offer number based on the number you want for day shift then add in a night differential for those three months.  It doesn't seem like it on paper but those months you work nights you will be pretty miserable outside of work.  You should make sure they are paying you for your misery.  I'd aim for a minimum $10k premium for those nights and start by asking for more.  This offer makes more sense around $135k for your experience and their expectations.

• Upvote 2