NHSC Scholarship 2018 Thread

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

1) Being a finalist means nothing special. If you actually read the email rather than skim it you'd see that it's still not a promise of award. It's nothing special that they want your banking information. It's only a "just in case" situation. 

2) There is no telling how long a counter sign will take. It could take up to the last day or it could, like most, not happen at all.

3) Keep waiting.

18 minutes ago, Price said:

1) Being a finalist means nothing special. If you actually read the email rather than skim it you'd see that it's still not a promise of award. It's nothing special that they want your banking information. It's only a "just in case" situation. 

2) There is no telling how long a counter sign will take. It could take up to the last day or it could, like most, not happen at all.

3) Keep waiting.

Well, being a finalist does mean they selected your application to move forward amongst many, many others so I hardly think that qualifies as “nothing special.” Not a guarantee, sure, but a step in the process and it appears from other threads that the majority of finalists (again, not all) do get countersigned. Regardless of the outcome, I am excited that my app was reviewed and progressed to this point and look forward to practicing in underserved areas either way. 

Question

I am african american, not from a disadvantaged background, never worked in an underserved area, I HAVE completed about ~200 hours of volunteer with the underserved and ~120 hours of volunteer with at risk teens... I have the desire to want to continue to work with the underserved

Would i even be considered for the scholarship. Is it worth trying for? I see people who get it are from an underserved area and have worked there for ~4years...

Do I even have a shot? my gpa is 3.5

• 3 weeks later...

I got the countersignature at 9:31 am! Please message me if you got a countersign to join our facebook group.

For future applicants:
First round credit check
First round finalist
PA student requesting 2 years funding
High GPA
Disadvantaged background
2 years working in homeless healthcare
Sought help from prehealth college advisor for revising essays

1 minute ago, Drreynolds376 said:

Hi guys, did they send an email about the countersignature? I just looked at my contract and it says it was countersigned but i didn't receive and email about it.

Nope, no email was sent out yet, that's the next step. Those of us posting have the same thing as you, just the countersignature on the contract. This apparently means you were awarded the scholarship, which makes sense since it is a contract and on the top it says only applicants selected for participation will get their contracts signed. Now just look out for the official congratulations message, should be coming by September 30th. Congrats ?

• 3 months later...

I started in May as well. You have to take out loans to cover the summer and fall semester. Around October or so, after your school sends in the cost of both semesters, you will get the full amount. It is your job to pay your loans off with that money. The scholarship doesn't pay for any interest that accured in the mean time. If you get accepted for the scholarship, they will give you instructions for your school to send in the tuition amount. This is the only time you have to take out loans for tuition, they directly pay the school for every other semester. 

• 3 weeks later...

I think it's funny how people think the deadline is the same every year. It gives me sheer joy knowing you people know nothing about Congress and the fact that every year it's different. Keep believing it'll be the same every year. Keep giving me this laugh.

Guest thatgirlonabike
On 1/5/2019 at 9:04 PM, Price said:

I think it's funny how people think the deadline is the same every year. It gives me sheer joy knowing you people know nothing about Congress and the fact that every year it's different. Keep believing it'll be the same every year. Keep giving me this laugh.

Why are you here exactly?.  Does it make you feel better?  

Archived