Low GPA high resume

I have a low GPA but everything else in my resume I feel is strong. I have many volunteering hours in health care expo, food bank, respite centers, school events, community events. I have shadowing hours. I have been a scribe in the ER for 2 years. I did research as an undergrad. I am pending my CPR certification.

What are the odds I will get in the first time? I am doing by best to strengthen everything else to make up for my low but above 3.2 GPA.

Due to financial difficulty I can only afford to apply to 4 schools. I want do 3 in Texas and one out.

What are the odds for me in my case and what else can I do to seem more competitive? I am taking two other classes right now to pick up my GPA. I graduated with BS 2015.

Hi,

I am a first time applicant this year, but my advice would be to apply early. Like May/June early. I would also focus on trying to write a stellar personal statement and get great LOR’s. If you can take the GRE and do exceptionally on it that can also help make up some for your GPA. GPA is important, but lots of schools look at candidates holistically, so don’t be discouraged. I’m assuming you are a Texas resident? 

20 minutes ago, lctexas4 said:

Hi,

I am a first time applicant this year, but my advice would be to apply early. Like May/June early. I would also focus on trying to write a stellar personal statement and get great LOR’s. If you can take the GRE and do exceptionally on it that can also help make up some for your GPA. GPA is important, but lots of schools look at candidates holistically, so don’t be discouraged. I’m assuming you are a Texas resident? 

Hi yes I am, I am applying to my local PA program as first option.. I want to increase my chances by applying to school outside Texas. I am planning on Taking the GRE in a couple mo. And I am confident I will get great letters. I want to have everything ready by early may. The only item pending will by my GRE score. Is that bad?

I don’t think only having the GRE left is bad at all! I’m applying this year for the first time to Texas schools as well. I would just say apply to as many schools as finances allow and apply as early as possible. Don’t be intimidated by other people’s stats..I know that can be hard. Good luck to you! 

On ‎3‎/‎29‎/‎2018 at 4:47 PM, lctexas4 said:

I don’t think only having the GRE left is bad at all! I’m applying this year for the first time to Texas schools as well. I would just say apply to as many schools as finances allow and apply as early as possible. Don’t be intimidated by other people’s stats..I know that can be hard. Good luck to you! 

Thank you, I am currently working on my PS. Should have everything done but pending my GRE score by the end of may. All in Gods Hands. Thank you.

On 3/29/2018 at 2:50 PM, Adriana91 said:

I have a low GPA but everything else in my resume I feel is strong. I have many volunteering hours in health care expo, food bank, respite centers, school events, community events. I have shadowing hours. I have been a scribe in the ER for 2 years. I did research as an undergrad. I am pending my CPR certification.

What are the odds I will get in the first time? I am doing by best to strengthen everything else to make up for my low but above 3.2 GPA.

Due to financial difficulty I can only afford to apply to 4 schools. I want do 3 in Texas and one out.

What are the odds for me in my case and what else can I do to seem more competitive? I am taking two other classes right now to pick up my GPA. I graduated with BS 2015.

I would not consider your resume "high", everyone has volunteering hours (Mine were medical missions out of the country), shadow hours (for me mean nothing, just get them and check the box), and ER scribe for 2 years doesn't mean much to me either (high level HCE to me is RN, RRT, Paramedic, OT, PT, SLP, etc) so you need to work on your GPA as all your other "stuff" is not too impressive. 

• 1 month later...
On ‎4‎/‎6‎/‎2018 at 10:31 AM, camoman1234 said:

I would not consider your resume "high", everyone has volunteering hours (Mine were medical missions out of the country), shadow hours (for me mean nothing, just get them and check the box), and ER scribe for 2 years doesn't mean much to me either (high level HCE to me is RN, RRT, Paramedic, OT, PT, SLP, etc) so you need to work on your GPA as all your other "stuff" is not too impressive. 

Not everyone has volunteering hours that I have seen are in PA school, let alone any HCE. And what do you mean "mean nothing to me"? Lol I am not being rude I am just curious as to why you chose to say it like so. I do not have the means nor funds to pay for a EMT course and certification, PT, RN, RRT or any certifications. I barely had enough and took me a couple years to save up to pay for the two extra classes I took.

My post was mostly in regards to what are my chances and what CAN I DO to better my chances, not so much what it means to you.

Camoman may not be the most tactful, but a lot of what he said is true:

volunteering and shadowing are basically check boxes on an application. So is the GRE. research is a non-issue at most programs. great for medschool, but really bears no weight in pa school admissions(unless perhaps in a combined pa/mph or pa/phd program).

what really matters is high quality hce and gpa, specifically sci gpa. Scribe is not considered high quality hce by many programs. some do not even consider it HCE. You need to work on your gpa and it appears you are taking steps to remedy that, which is good. A 3.2 is ok with lots of high level hce, but tough with less than stellar hce. You really need to get some hce with direct patient contact. That means touching patients, doing assessments, making interventions, etc. Not trying to be rude, just telling you how it is at many programs from the viewpoint of a current faculty member and former admin committee member.

8 minutes ago, Adriana91 said:

Not everyone has volunteering hours that I have seen are in PA school, let alone any HCE. And what do you mean "mean nothing to me"? Lol I am not being rude I am just curious as to why you chose to say it like so. I do not have the means nor funds to pay for a EMT course and certification, PT, RN, RRT or any certifications. I barely had enough and took me a couple years to save up to pay for the two extra classes I took.

My post was mostly in regards to what are my chances and what CAN I DO to better my chances, not so much what it means to you.

Well I am giving you my opinion from an experienced PA that has past HCE (RRT). So if you do not want an opinion then don't ask on this forum. We get our opinions from our past experiences. If I was sitting on an ADCOM and saw your file, nothing sticks out to me that would make me put you at the top of the pile. I understand you want to pay out of pocket for your schooling, but sometimes if you need extra classes and/or certifications then you have to take out student loans, that is just how it is. I did it and it sucks, but I got into my one and only school the first time. So for me now working as a PA x 4 years that debt I took out and time I spent getting good grades/busting my ass paid off. 

1 hour ago, EMEDPA said:

Camoman may not be the most tactful, but a lot of what he said is true:

volunteering and shadowing are basically check boxes on an application. So is the GRE. research is a non-issue at most programs. great for medschool, but really bears no weight in pa school admissions(unless perhaps in a combined pa/mph or pa/phd program).

what really matters is high quality hce and gpa, specifically sci gpa. Scribe is not considered high quality hce by many programs. some do not even consider it HCE. You need to work on your gpa and it appears you are taking steps to remedy that, which is good. A 3.2 is ok with lots of high level hce, but tough with less than stellar hce. You really need to get some hce with direct patient contact. That means touching patients, doing assessments, making interventions, etc. Not trying to be rude, just telling you how it is at many programs from the viewpoint of a current faculty member and former admin committee member.

I seriously am not being rude, I just tell it how it is. I do not BS anything or sugar coat anything (even with my patients), THE TRUTH HURTS. Get over it, improve your GPA and if it were me, take out student loans and go through RN, RRT, EMT-P school. You will NEVER regret doing extra schooling. I am happy to have my past HCE as it helps me almost daily, with all the stress you have as a PA, having the past HCE (high level) makes your daily struggle as a PA that much easier! Good luck! 

3 minutes ago, camoman1234 said:

I seriously am not being rude, I just tell it how it is. I do not BS anything or sugar coat anything (even with my patients), THE TRUTH HURTS. Give over it, improved your GPA and if it were me, take out student loans and go through RN, RRT, EMT-P school. You will NEVER regret doing extra schooling. I am happy to have my past HCE as it helps me almost daily, with all the stress you have as a PA, having the past HCE (high level) makes your daily struggle as a PA that much easier! Good luck! 

Thank you I really appreciate your feed back, that is what I was referring to since it sounded like you are/are part of admin of some sort.  You make valid points and you are correct, sometimes sacrifices have to be made.

Archived