Residency contract negotiations

Hey folks,

I have just received an offer from a residency program which I am very excited about. I am wondering if it is appropriate to negotiate on a few points in my contract? 

Their offer:

• An average-high average resident salary
  • 800 a month for the purchase of employee health plan
  • 3% 401k contribution after 1 year (18 mo program)
  • Professional society membership and paid travel to conference

What I would like to ask for:

• State licensing fees and DEA license fees
  • AAPA membership
  • Maybe some compensation for moving?

Are these are these arrangements typically negotiable and what do you think about my asks?

Thanks folks!

On 3/29/2018 at 7:52 AM, Wildmed-PA said:

Hey folks,

I have just received an offer from a residency program which I am very excited about. I am wondering if it is appropriate to negotiate on a few points in my contract? 

Their offer:

• An average-high average resident salary
  • 800 a month for the purchase of employee health plan
  • 3% 401k contribution after 1 year (18 mo program)
  • Professional society membership and paid travel to conference

What I would like to ask for:

• State licensing fees and DEA license fees
  • AAPA membership
  • Maybe some compensation for moving?

Are these are these arrangements typically negotiable and what do you think about my asks?

Thanks folks!

They probably do pay for licensing and if it’s a large academic center then it’s probably state run and there will be no DEA fee, which is how mine is. Did you ask if they provide this? 

I think you’ll get some laughs about the moving compensation. Anything they don’t provide to the physician residents, you are not going to get.

F5F28B22-CDC4-467D-9BD8-C18C37C97184.gif

6 hours ago, AbeTheBabe said:

I would ask, but be prepared to accept that they may not be able to make changes. It's an actual residency right? Sometimes things are kind of set in stone. And 18 months? Wow, I thought they were all a year. That's a long time.

I would say most of the EM residencies are 18 months. Its hard to cover such a broad specialty in one year. It also requires graduated autonomy. Someone can’t just be thrown into running a code. EM tends to benefit more from more off service rotations than others. In fact, I’m requesting my residency be extended 6 months to be 2 years so I can have more electives.

I agree with most of the above. They will likely pay for license, etc. State/government academic centers with have a no fee DEA which is nice, until you leave and have to pay that crap. Ugh! 

Relocation? Forget it. Don't even ask. Like LT said, if the physician residents aren't getting it through ACGME then you won't FOR SURE! 

Regarding residency lengths. They vary, but I would say most are 12 months. I did the 18-month variety and was ready to be done by the end. I made a concerted effort to see where I was at the 12 month mark since most other residencies I applied to were 12 months. The one year is pretty tough to see what you need to see and really get comfortable. Can it be done? Sure and there have been several good posts and experiences given about Albany and some of the others. Repetition and seeing more pt's is the key though and 18 months will give that to you. Some of the better residencies are 18-months in length- Iowa, Fresno, New Mexico, Einstein, Yale, Regions to name a few. 

Well, I tried negotiating and lost my spot. I learned a valuable lesson on knowing where you stand before trying to ask for more. I thought they would just say no, but they revoked the offer...

Thanks for everyone's input here. I should have had more patience and humility as I considered my position. 

I also thought my tone was more humble than it probably came across and I can see how I could be perceived as a real a-hole in my email.

So, time to start over.

17 hours ago, Wildmed-PA said:

Well, I tried negotiating and lost my spot. I learned a valuable lesson on knowing where you stand before trying to ask for more. I thought they would just say no, but they revoked the offer...

Thanks for everyone's input here. I should have had more patience and humility as I considered my position. 

I also thought my tone was more humble than it probably came across and I can see how I could be perceived as a real a-hole in my email.

So, time to start over.

That sucks dude... Keep your head up and use this lesson well. Good luck in your search.

23 hours ago, Wildmed-PA said:

So, time to start over.

Ouch. Sucks buddy. Lesson learned. Wish I had been more aggressive in dissuading you and maybe it wouldn’t have happened, so I’m sorry. Good luck with future apps.

I just want clarity on this if you will. You were accepted for a competitive program that had stated factors of employment for essentially free training and asked for more? Please make this a sticky because we need not repeat this behavior.

I wish you the best though. I accepted the parameters of my fellowship and now reap the benefits after enduring the "suck". My hope is that you get another chance at undergoing the rigors of academia to reap those same benefits.

16 minutes ago, Navy PA-C said:

I just want clarity on this if you will. You were accepted for a competitive program that had stated factors of employment for essentially free training and asked for more? Please make this a sticky because we need not repeat this behavior.

I wish you the best though. I accepted the parameters of my fellowship and now reap the benefits after enduring the "suck". My hope is that you get another chance at undergoing the rigors of academia to reap those same benefits.

I agree with your thoughts here and I also feel for Wildmed-PA and wish him/her all the best. In addition, I think that even for jobs, not just residencies, negotiating isn't without some risk. This and other forums make it seem like you should ALWAYS ask for more. It can be risky. I've realized during my job search that employers often will not budge, and aren't accustomed to negotiation, especially from a new grad like me.

Archived