I’m currently attending a quarterly-based credit college and get 3 credits in some of my crucial prerequisite classes. All the pre-pa programs I’ve looked at say something along the lines of “Organic Chemistry - 3 semester hours or 4 quarter hours” but my college only gives 3 quarter hours for a class like this.

I have no idea what I’m supposed to do. If my college gives 3 hours when I need 4, how do I get that additional hour? So confused!

Probably have to take the next in the series and have two 3-credit-hour courses. That's all I can think that might work.

My first recommendation is to call the schools you're interested in though to verify. I'm almost certain no schools will make an exception to the 4-credit-hour requirement though.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

• Upvote 1

@DarcyJ my concern is for example, General Biology I gives me 3 credits and I need 4. Same for General Biology II, Organic Chemistry, Organic Chemistry II, etc. I can’t take an Organic Chemistry III, as it doesn’t exist and my II requirement still isn’t fulfilled. Of course. I’m reaching out to programs now, just figured I’d ask here while waiting for a response.

Are the labs included in those three credits? You should be taking labs with at least some, if not most, of your science classes. When separated from the lecture class, labs are often one to two credits and you can usually express that in the CASPA application when you select your pre-reqs for each program. This is just my experience from applying this last cycle having completed courses with both semesters and quarters. You could always call specific programs just to be sure too!

[mention=118449]DarcyJ[/mention] my concern is for example, General Biology I gives me 3 credits and I need 4. Same for General Biology II, Organic Chemistry, Organic Chemistry II, etc. I can’t take an Organic Chemistry III, as it doesn’t exist and my II requirement still isn’t fulfilled. Of course. I’m reaching out to programs now, just figured I’d ask here while waiting for a response.
Yeah I understand the problem. I got my first degree on a quarters system. Only our chemistry and biology series had three quarters each to equal the two semesters. So, it surprises me your school doesn't.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

• Upvote 2

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

• Similar Content

• By nhendy5
      Hello!
      I am currently waitlisted at two schools. I am sitting at #9 on the waitlist at one and unsure where I am at the second program. The second program does not give any information on where the student is on the list, but they do inform us that it is ranked based off of our interview score. I am getting extremely impatient but am trying to stay positive!! I was wondering if I should reach out to the second program to inform them of any changes to my application since my interview date in September. I have gained about 450 PCE hours and have started volunteering again. Do you think it will do any good to share this info? 

Thanks in advance for any advice! 🙂 
    • By lynn1862
      Hey guys! I'm 24 and have recently been accepted into a PA program, but I keep having second thoughts.
      My whole life I have been interested in medicine and health care. However, I am also a more quiet/introverted/awkward person and deal with social anxiety at times. For patient care hours this past year I became a phlebotomist. Although I loved learning about blood drawing and enjoyed the hands on aspect of it, the actual job itself was very draining for me. I worked at a very busy lab that saw over a 100 patients a day. Having to interact with so many patients left me feeling exhausted once I clocked out. I guess sometimes I wonder if I am making the right choice for myself career wise.
      I have shadowed many PAs and enjoyed those experiences, but I know shadowing and actually doing it are two different things. I also shadowed a Pathology Assistant, thinking that may be a better fit for me, but found it slightly repetitive and actually a little too isolating. 
      I was wondering if anyone else had similar worries once upon a time? If there are specialties more geared towards introvert/quiet people? Or ones that see a lower volume of patients? Or maybe this isn't the best path for me? 
    • By gutsybook
      Is the Northeast Pre-PA Conference legitimate? If it is, could anyone verify if it's safe to pay through the following eventbrite link:
      https://www.eventbrite.com/e/second-annual-northeast-pre-physician-assistant-conference-tickets-66535863559?aff=erelexpmlt

I'm honestly just clueless about conferences in general. This would be my first Pre-PA conference and I want to make sure it's a reputable conference and that it is safe to purchase tickets through the above link. If there is an actual event elsewhere, please inform me!
      Thank you all in advance!
    • By chandlerjonesuga
      Hey, I'm just rolling through to see if I can help expand your studying database.  Check out this post of various resources you can utilize to help you ACE the EOR exams, and eventually the PANCE!!!  I hope this helps... The final link is to my personal study guides, yes I know I do the most!
      https://randomjournalposts.blogspot.com/2020/02/how-to-study-in-pa-school.html
    • By chandlerjonesuga
      Hey, I'm just rolling through to see if I can help expand your studying database.  Check out this post of various resources you can utilize to help you ACE the EOR exams, and eventually the PANCE!!!  I hope this helps... The final link is to my personal study guides, yes I know I do the most!
      https://randomjournalposts.blogspot.com/2020/02/how-to-study-in-pa-school.html

Important Information

Welcome to the Physician Assistant Forum! This website uses cookies to ensure you get the best experience on our website. Learn More