Anyone heard from Marywood? (2010 cycle - class of 2013)

CASPA sent my stuff out June 18, and I got an acknowledgement email from Marywood on June 30 saying if I haven't heard from them in 45 days that I should call them at (570) 348-6298. Calling them is really the only way to get in touch--I've now sent 3 emails asking the same question (over a 90-day period) and have not gotten a response.

When I applied there last year I hadn't heard from them within the 45 days listed on the message they sent me. They say to call to ensure that there wasn't an error in processing. I called and received a telephone call back within a few hours at which point they said that they were pulling my file to give to the admissions committee for review for an interview. If you need to get a hold of them, call and leave a message. I've spoken with people in that office probably half a dozen times and each time I had to leave a message.

• 2 weeks later...

I have had a similar experience with Marywood - I heard from the PA office that they may begin scheduling interviews in a couple weeks. I submitted my application end of April. I almost crossed this school off the list - glad to know everyone else is in the same boat! :) I didn't find the open house too helpful... it was ok, but nothing worth driving hours for or making an extra-special trip... your call, though. just my opinion :)

little, I am really pleased that you have soo many choices and that your candidacy is so damn competitive.

I believe that you should go ahead and cross this school off "your list".

After all as you said "it was ok, but nothing worth driving hours for or making an extra-special trip... your call, though. just my opinion"

Why don't you go ahead and ask the school not to process your application and make room for someone who really wants to attend a really fine school.

i guess that you don't know that they are affiliated with The Commonwealth Medical College

and that Marywood is one of the few PA Programs with hands on cadaver labs!

wow...not to be too terribly presumptuous, but i don't think that's what little_storm meant at all. sometimes an open house shows a lot, sometimes it's just an information session of stuff you can get on a school's website. sometimes scheduling your own visit that works with your own schedule is better. i don't think this has anything to do with how much s/he wants to go to the school.

lol... wow, I just meant that I was happy to hear other people haven't heard anything either - despite my plethora of choices and super competitve application (heavy sarcasm, ha ha) I thought maybe they weren't interested in me (hence crossing my name off the list) since I hadn't heard much from them. Best of luck to you, Brentef, if we end up at Marywood together, I'll look forward to cadaver dissection with you. :)

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I hadn't heard anything from Marywood and after having 3 other interviews with a 4th coming up in November I thought I would just call and see whats up. Just so I knew if I was going to get interviewed or not. I called and talked to someone and they said they would look into it and find out. 2 days later they called and set up an interview so maybe they were just a little disorganized and lost/overlooked my application until I called.

For the people who have interviewed at Marywood, what can you tell me about the program, what did you think of them? I am not terribly impressed so far since I had to call them to get an interview but I hope that was just an oversight and not a sign of their disorganization. I have a 3.9 GPA with 5000 hrs of HCE and a good narrative, I would think an interview invite would be almost automatic. Just want to know that this program is good.

I found out why mine said 2012 not 2011. Its because I will be still be an undergrad starting grad school in 2011. I been to Marywood since my freshmen year and they have a 5 yr track program. Marywodd is such a great school. The PA dept here is so welcoming and nice! The staff are also great! Marywood's PA school is one of the few schools who has a hands on cadaver lab!

Yes they do monthly decisions.

Tech,

My experience with Marywood was similar to yours. We have similar stats, etc. I think that they do not have the actual manpower to handle the volume of applications they receive, and I think that they sort of wait for people to contact them to show their sincere interest before scheduling interviews. It sort of saves them some work? If you're getting 1,000+ applications for 50 seats, with some of those seats automatically being filled by undergrad students, you can weed out a lot of people just by... waiting and doing nothing?? I don't know. That's my thoughts.

I have been accepted to Philadelphia University and Cornell; I chose Marywood because I think it is the most reasonable pick: Scranton has a lot to offer - affordable living, strong college community, Marywood's program is medium-sized but has strong affiliation with the neighboring medical school, Marywood's tuition is very competitive, and they let you secure a few of your own clinical rotations (a plus for me because I would like to return back to NY to work after I complete the program).

Tech, I would definietly check out the school, take advantage of the opportunity to interview, and not read too much into the lax administrative stuff. No matter where you end up going, you'll feel better about your choice after checking all options out.

For anyone else who's been accepted - where are you living?

• 5 weeks later...

For housing ideas: The Commonwealth Medical College in Scranton suggests these facilities:

Scranton

Wilkes-Barre

Thanks for the information little_storm. I am in a similar situation, although I have yet to hear back from Marywood about an interview. I've been accepted to Cornell and Philadelphia University, but am having a very difficult time choosing a school since I haven't interviewed at the only school on my list with an affordable tuition rate (Marywood). Although you were quite thorough and clear in your reasoning for choosing Marywood, would you be able to tell me why you did not choose Cornell or PU? I know I should be able to just weigh the pros and cons, but I would really appreciate any advice about how to choose the "right" school.

Power,

I don't know anything about you or your situation so I'm not sure what kind of advice to give. I guess I can share more about my situation with you and you can see if it applies...or not. I applied to Cornell on a whim after submitting 12 other applications to a bunch of different schools - mostly in NY, PA, CT, and CA. I finally decided to apply to Cornell because I live about an hour and a half north of NYC and I thought it might be nice to stay in New York, since I plan to return here after I graduate to practice.

In the end, I decided against Cornell because of its high tuition combined with high cost of living and lower quality of living (I felt that I could have gone to medical school for nearly the same price). I'm just old enough that I hate things like having to drive around an hour for a parking spot in NYC, having to shlep laundry back and forth to and from the laundromat, and pay outrageous prices for small living spaces. Also, unfortunately, I wasn't particuarly impressed with my interview experience at Cornell. They took forever to get back to me, and had an air of pretentiousness about them (I guess that's to be expected) that I found to be a turn off. One poster said it quite nicely - they didn't hesitate to cash my $60 application fee, but they were awful about returning phone calls and letting me know what my status was. (I found the Cornell students to be great, but the faculty members I interviewed with gave me a bit of a negative impression.) I have no doubt that it's an excellent program, but the cost-benefit ratio didn't pan out for my particular preferences and situation.

Philadelphia U seems to have a very supportive program. I liked the students and the faculty alike based on my interview experience. I decided against this school because of its high tuition and because I don't like Philly that much. It was initially a backup school for me, but I would have chosen Phil U over Cornell had I not gotten into Marywood (if that's any indication of the sour taste Cornell gave me. :) )

Marywood was my #1 pick from the beginning for several reasons which I've already touched on in other posts. I like the close affiliation with the medical school. I like that the tuition is affordable. I like that the cost of living is affordable. I like that Scranton is a college town with other universities nearby, yet it's not really that big. I like that it's close to my support system in NY (only a few hours away from where my closest friends are). I like the attitude of the faculty and staff there. They leave me the impression as being laid back and practical. That's the same way I am. Don't get me wrong - I'm competitive, I work hard, I'm a bit of a perfectionist - but I don't have much of an ego and I am always mindful of money and what my long term goals are (which mostly include not drowning in debt after I finish school.)

Bottom line is this: I'm a believer in who you are, who you know, and how hard you work is more important than where you go to school. You get out of your degree what you put in it. All three schools have good programs, and I'm not trying to persuade or dissuade you from any school.

Hope this helps

• 2 months later...
  • 1 year later...

Archived