TTUHSC 2018-2019 Application Cycle

On 11/10/2018 at 9:51 AM, TheGrind said:

So they had one in each of September and October. They have one more scheduled for this upcoming Monday for November. If you look at last year's thread, they had a "final" one in December. Nobody on this forum had said anything about a December interview yet, so not sure if they are doing that yet or not. I'm also assuming that if you have been interviewed and have not got an acceptance by December, they will notify us and put us on a wait list. It's impossible to know how many seats are filled unless the faculty mentioned it to someone. Anyone else have similar deductions?

I had my interview in September and havent heard diddle.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
2 minutes ago, ecflowers said:

Also waitlisted! I’ll take it lol. Anybody know how they do waitlisting? Do they tell you which number you are or not?

Absolutely! I believe last years forum mentioned that they don't number...or they at least don't tell you the number.

But another question, when you go to the link to accept your position, does it say you were given an offer of acceptance and to pay the deposit? I guess I just thought it would say to accept your "alternate position", but maybe it's just the same message regardless.

22 minutes ago, egrace said:

Absolutely! I believe last years forum mentioned that they don't number...or they at least don't tell you the number.

But another question, when you go to the link to accept your position, does it say you were given an offer of acceptance and to pay the deposit? I guess I just thought it would say to accept your "alternate position", but maybe it's just the same message regardless.

I will let you know tonight what mine says! I’m at work so I’ll check in a while. 

1 hour ago, egrace said:

I don’t know if I even have an eraider account.. I’ve done so much school stuff I can’t remember setting one up. I tried to do it but I’m not sure how. 

9 minutes ago, ecflowers said:

Can anybody help me with my eraider account? Is this something we set up a while back? I just can’t remember. 

It's what you set up to fill out your secondary and pay your secondary application fee. It's called "merlin" for non-Tech students. So when you click that link in your email it will give you two options, you need to click on the Merlin account if you're a non-Tech student. You'll probably have to do a username/password recovery. I had to because I forgot both. It should be hooked up to your email though.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

Please DO NOT attend TTUHSC PA program.

TTUHSC program was recently on probation and since then has claimed to "fix" administrative and program issues by enforcing new rules and regulations on their students that threaten student success. TTUHSC PA program is suffering and I feel that I need to let future students know what they are getting into before they spend thousands and lose years of their life. 

I am a recent PA student of TTUHSC and I have two ex-classmates who were recently dismissed from the program this past year. One student had over a 3.7 at the time of dismissal and even walked the stage and graduated before she was dismissed. Since 2016 this program has had 4 faculty quit -  and in the past three years there have been two lawsuits suing the program due to student discrimination.

Faculty and administration often used scare tactics in order to control students and not get backlash after a questionable action was done by faculty or administration. Not only were these scare tactics often attempted on students but certain faculty were also caught in being dishonest in their personal academic history.  Jena Carey who taught from 2016-2018 claimed to have a "PHD" which could be seen next to her name on TTUHSC faculty page when in reality she had just started her PHD program. This was no doubt done so TTUHSC PA program would be more attractive to students when in reality this is false advertising and in the very least, unethical. This professor has since "left" the program. 

Program officials claim that they "want their students to succeed, and success makes us a faculty very proud" but once you have actually experienced being a student there you will find there is very little help or support for student success. 

I implore members on this page who want to go to PA school to strongly consider other programs. Two of my ex-classmates lives are ruined and they are over 70 thousand in debt with nothing to show for it. They are just TWO of six other people who were dismissed out of the 58 we started with. 

Good luck

MODERATOR COMMENT:

this user has violated the TOS with 2 accounts. Sometimes this is overlooked for anonymity reasons, but in this case it was nefarious to elevate the “upvote” status and possible intentionally mislead.

we did verify this user attended Texas tech. They have not obtained an NPI to suggest PA employment. They currently hold other positions that would suggest they are no longer a student.

This does not invalidate their reports, so their message will be left, but does break down their credibility. 

• Like 2

37 minutes ago, TexPA2018 said:

TTUHSC program was recently on probation and since then has claimed to "fix" administrative and program issues by enforcing new rules and regulations on their students that threaten student success. TTUHSC PA program is suffering and I feel that I need to let future students know what they are getting into before they spend thousands and lose years of their life. 

I am a recent PA student of TTUHSC and I have two ex-classmates who were recently dismissed from the program this past year. Both students had over 3.0 and one actually had over a 3.7 at the time of dismissal. One student actually walked the stage and graduated before she was dismissed. Since 2016 this program has had 4 faculty quit (due to unknown reasons)-  and in the past three years there have been two lawsuits suing the program due to student discrimination.

Program officials claim that they "want their students to succeed, and success makes us a faculty very proud" but once you have actually experienced being a student there you will find there is very little help or support for student success. 

I implore members on this page who want to go to PA school to strongly consider other programs. Two of my ex-classmates lives are ruined and they are over 70 thousand in debt with nothing to show for it. 

Goodluck

Thanks for your information, this is helpful 

• Like 1
  • Downvote 1

50 minutes ago, TexPA2018 said:

I am a recent PA student of TTUHSC and I have two ex-classmates who were recently dismissed from the program this past year. Both students had over 3.0 and one actually had over a 3.7 at the time of dismissal. One student actually walked the stage and graduated before she was dismissed. Since 2016 this program has had 4 faculty quit -  and in the past three years there have been two lawsuits suing the program due to student discrimination.

Faculty and administration often used scare tactics in order to control students and not get backlash after a questionable action was done by faculty or administration. Not only were these scare tactics often attempted on students but certain faculty were also caught in being dishonest in their personal academic history.  Jena Carey who taught from 2016-2018 claimed to have a "PHD" which could be seen next to her name on TTUHSC faculty page when in reality she had just started her PHD program. This was no doubt done so TTUHSC PA program would be more attractive to students when in reality this is false advertising and in the very least, unethical.

I implore members on this page who want to go to PA school to strongly consider other programs. Two of my ex-classmates lives are ruined and they are over 70 thousand in debt with nothing to show for it. 

Goodluck

I'm not here to start an argument, just to give a different perspective as a current student. 

There have been very few issues (aside from the ridiculous Midland rent) and the one big issue that we brought to attention of the staff was dealt with very promptly and as professionally as it could have been given the timing. The only people that are no longer here after 2 semesters are the ones that simply did not meet the GPA standards. 

Probation was several years back, from my understanding it was because of the turnover rate of staff and/or paperwork issues, you may have heard about UTMB experiencing something similar this past year. That has all since been addressed and the current staff is a wonderful group. 

One thing that I really appreciate about this program in particular is that they listen to us and make the changes we suggest to try to make their program better. That's very rare to see and that's my input on this matter. 

Good luck, y'all!

Edited by kg8868
  • Like 1
  • Upvote 2

On 12/10/2018 at 4:04 PM, kg8868 said:

I'm not here to start an argument, just to give a different perspective as a current student. 

There have been very few issues (aside from the ridiculous Midland rent) and the one big issue that we brought to attention of the staff was dealt with very promptly and as professionally as it could have been given the timing. The only people that are no longer here after 2 semesters are the ones that simply did not meet the GPA standards. 

Probation was several years back, from my understanding it was because of the turnover rate of staff and/or paperwork issues, you may have heard about UTMB experiencing something similar this past year. That has all since been addressed and the current staff is a wonderful group. 

One thing that I really appreciate about this program is particular is that they listen to us and make the changes we suggest to try to make their program better. That's very rare to see. 

Thanks for your note. Its good to see different perspectives. That being said, if a 3.7 is not meeting GPA standards there are deeper issues that must be addressed. Faculty did not work with my year, nor the year ahead of me, and if its true that they were on probation due to "staff turnover" then I don't see how this has been addressed if in the past few years four faculty (which makes up more than 50% of the total faculty) have left the institution. If anything this should raise concern for another TTUHSC probation due to higher faculty turnover.

From the class of 2017, 2018, I've heard nothing but bad things and complaints about current faculty. Maybe class of 2019 has had different experiences but I'm just stating what I believe future students need to hear to make their own decision on whats best for them.  

MODERATOR COMMENT:

this user has violated the TOS with 2 accounts. Sometimes this is overlooked for anonymity reasons, but in this case it was nefarious to elevate the “upvote” status and possible intentionally mislead.

we did verify this user attended Texas tech. They have not graduated based on timeline from admission and lack of their info in national databases. They currently hold other positions that would suggest they are no longer a student.

This does not invalidate their reports, so their message will be left, but does break down their credibility. 

Edited by LT_Oneal_PAC
  • Like 1
  • Downvote 1

47 minutes ago, PATexasTech said:

I respectfully can't say I agree with this, based off my experience. I do however 100% with TexPA2018, the initial post. I just graduated from there with Honors and those who were dismissed in our class were not given any help or support at all to succeed. They were just threatened that they'd be dismissed, and then were. They have a very backwards policy there in regards to what happens if you struggle in your last year (clerkship rotations). There were also students who clearly were discriminated against, not only by Jena Carey but she was by far the worst. She messed up on everything and didn't apologize or acknowledge it, and we got yelled at when we brought it up.

The one thing Tech was the most horrible at was not listening. Every time we stated an issue or concern whether it be faculty member or horribly orchestrated lectures, the director came in and literally yelled at us for even saying anything. We were taught very early on to all keep our mouths shut or get blacklisted by the faculty, and our end of semester feedback surveys were always ignored. The class under me (2019) said they had the same issues, and the president of their class even arranged a meeting with the director and she scolded them then did nothing. They will defend their faculty at all costs, and let their students suffer without even blinking an eye, if it means helping their precious PANCE & Pakrat scores, or making their faculty/program look good.

I feel so bad for those people who were dismissed when they were clearly capable and deserving of their degree from the program. I'm just lucky I was one of the few who got a 4.0 so they had nothing on me to pick on. I will never go back and never give them another dime. They stolen plenty of money from those who they dismiss the day after getting those students' tuition for the semester.

Everyone is entitled to their own opinion, but I agree that I just have to help save those from dealing with 2.5 years of hell, if I can. I wish someone would've done that for me. I went because it's the only Texas place I got into, so if you have to, rough it out. Just keep grinding and don't cause any attention to yourself, by any means!!

To all of you above. Please report these actions to Arc-PA or nothing will every get done. It sounds like the program and its governing body is not taking these allegations/concerns seriously, so you must take it to the next step. 

ARC-PA will take you seriously, bring to them the facts that you are stating and help these future PAs out. 

• Like 2

On 12/10/2018 at 5:38 PM, credmond said:

To all of you above. Please report these actions to Arc-PA or nothing will every get done. It sounds like the program and its governing body is not taking these allegations/concerns seriously, so you must take it to the next step. 

ARC-PA will take you seriously, bring to them the facts that you are stating and help these future PAs out. 

Alerting ARC-PA is in the works. I just wanted to warn everyone here who is considering TTUHSC PA program. 

MODERATOR COMMENT:

we did verify this user attended Texas tech. The lack of their info in national databases suggests they have not passed pance or obtained employment. They currently hold other positions that would suggest they are no longer a student.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, PATexasTech said:

I am a recent graduate from the program and could not agree more with this statement. Save yourselves!! Anyone who tells you different is just not being honest.

To all reading these messages do not be fooled

As a current student at this program I object to what has been said. During the interview process I was nervous about bringing my family all the way to Texas. Since being here I have not regretted this decision once. I had other options that may have seemed more "prestigious," but I chose Texas Tech based on how I felt during my interview and conversations I had with 2 close friends that were currently in the program. I didn't take the word of some nobody on the internet to dictate my decision. To be honest I would be pretty upset if I was kicked out of the program (which is what I think happened with the posts above). So to anyone reading into these posts I want you to ask yourself "what recently graduated PA cares to go on a chat board for incoming students just to rip on the program they just "graduated" from?" Furthermore, the school must have been really terrible for these guys to keep the name in their profile. Lastly, I challenge anyone to find a better pharmacology professor in a PA program than Dr. Tenner, or someone more caring than Mr. Taylor, or more knowledgeable than Ms. Bell.

Sincerely,

A student from a program SO bad you'll name your profiles after it

• Like 1
  • Upvote 3
  • Downvote 1

On 12/10/2018 at 9:08 PM, ttu192 said:

To all reading these messages do not be fooled

As a current student at this program I object to what has been said. During the interview process I was nervous about bringing my family all the way to Texas. Since being here I have not regretted this decision once. I had other options that may have seemed more "prestigious," but I chose Texas Tech based on how I felt during my interview and conversations I had with 2 close friends that were currently in the program. I didn't take the word of some nobody on the internet to dictate my decision. To be honest I would be pretty upset if I was kicked out of the program (which is what I think happened with the posts above). So to anyone reading into these posts I want you to ask yourself "what recently graduated PA cares to go on a chat board for incoming students just to rip on the program they just "graduated" from?" Furthermore, the school must have been really terrible for these guys to keep the name in their profile. Lastly, I challenge anyone to find a better pharmacology professor in a PA program than Dr. Tenner, or someone more caring than Mr. Taylor, or more knowledgeable than Ms. Bell.

Sincerely,

A student from a program SO bad you'll name your profiles after it

You being a current student I completely understand why you are defending your school, as you should. But again, these statements are facts and I say them in order to give potential future students the information they deserve in order to make the best decision possible.

MODERATOR COMMENT:

we did verify this user attended Texas tech. The lack of their info in national databases suggests that have not pass pance or obtained PA employment. They currently hold other positions that would suggest they are no longer a student.

• Like 1

My app has been under review and "with the admissions committee" since the very beginning of June. I have had many interviews at other schools I have applied to. Is anyone else in this same position? I don't plan on attending if offered, but I wish I would hear back in a timely manner ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

• Like 1