IL Opportunities!

Let's see...I've been to the IAPA website, where I contacted several PAs through email. Most did not respond and the ones that did said they can't do so as they have other students shadowing them at that time etc. I've called several hospitals in my neighborhood and none allows students to shadow healthcare professionals, especially, The Advocate Group. I'm about to contact my primary care physician to see if she can connect me with a PA, but she still works with Advocate! So, at this point I'll take just about anything! I'd like to get to know the profession a little more, first hand, apart from what I've researched and heard of. Will you help, please? Thank you!

Let's see...I've been to the IAPA website, where I contacted several PAs through email. Most did not respond and the ones that did said they can't do so as they have other students shadowing them at that time etc. I've called several hospitals in my neighborhood and none allows students to shadow healthcare professionals, especially, The Advocate Group. I'm about to contact my primary care physician to see if she can connect me with a PA, but she still works with Advocate! So, at this point I'll take just about anything! I'd like to get to know the profession a little more, first hand, apart from what I've researched and heard of. Will you help, please? Thank you!

A lot of big hospital systems will reflexively say no to shadowing. Be suspicious of that answer, especially if it comes from the person who picks up the main line. It's easier to tell you there's a system-wide policy against it than to dig around for an answer. A better bet is to ask for someone by name. Use google - find out the name of the lead surgical PA and ask if she has a voicemail. Or ask to be connected to the office of medical education, or the volunteer office. Those people will at least be familiar with the context of your request and be less likely to immediately dismiss you. I did my shadowing through the volunteer office, even though I was an employee of the hospital.

And talk to your doctor, but don't mention the mysterious Advocate ban. See what she says first.

A lot of big hospital systems will reflexively say no to shadowing. Be suspicious of that answer, especially if it comes from the person who picks up the main line. It's easier to tell you there's a system-wide policy against it than to dig around for an answer. A better bet is to ask for someone by name. Use google - find out the name of the lead surgical PA and ask if she has a voicemail. Or ask to be connected to the office of medical education, or the volunteer office. Those people will at least be familiar with the context of your request and be less likely to immediately dismiss you. I did my shadowing through the volunteer office, even though I was an employee of the hospital.

And talk to your doctor, but don't mention the mysterious Advocate ban. See what she says first.

Have you tried www.pashadowonline.com it's free and there are some PA's in IL that you can contact directly either through email or phone let me know if you need help

Thanks for the info. I did check out the website and found only one in Barrington, IL allowing shadowing opportunities. I shall be calling him to set up a date that'd work for the both of us. Thanks for the info again. Are you a PA based in IL?

Have you tried www.pashadowonline.com it's free and there are some PA's in IL that you can contact directly either through email or phone let me know if you need help

Thanks for the info. I did check out the website and found only one in Barrington, IL allowing shadowing opportunities. I shall be calling him to set up a date that'd work for the both of us. Thanks for the info again. Are you a PA based in IL?

Not sure where you are in IL (near Barrington?), I was able to shadow a great PA in DeKalb that may be able to as he owns the clinic. Also, even if you can't shadow...you can set up an informational interview. I tried to shadow a PA at Stroger, she couldn't let me go with her to see patients...but I learned so much and we are still in contact today (over a year now). She had Journals to give me, one of which had articles about the head of the program I am now attending. She introduced me to other PAs in the hospital and often forwards me insider info on scholarships,events, and other opportunities. I hope you find a great experience soon. Hang in there, it's worth it ;)

Not sure where you are in IL (near Barrington?), I was able to shadow a great PA in DeKalb that may be able to as he owns the clinic. Also, even if you can't shadow...you can set up an informational interview. I tried to shadow a PA at Stroger, she couldn't let me go with her to see patients...but I learned so much and we are still in contact today (over a year now). She had Journals to give me, one of which had articles about the head of the program I am now attending. She introduced me to other PAs in the hospital and often forwards me insider info on scholarships,events, and other opportunities. I hope you find a great experience soon. Hang in there, it's worth it ;)

• 5 weeks later...

Archived