Having trouble finding patient care hours

Hello! i am a sophomore in college and set to graduate in May 2020. I am having troubles finding health care hours. Every job i’ve seen is full time, and i can’t do that with 18-21 credits every semester and two kids. The only job i’ve found is a Direct Support Professional. These people work with disabled people, kids and adults. Working with kids means watching them, giving them their medications, taking to therapy etc, and adults live in group home settings. So feeding, medications, etc. I was wondering if this would count for HCE? The program i’m looking into just says a list of some jobs and says “not limited too” and I emailed the program for help and they didn’t clarify anything. 

Depending on where you live you could possibly find a job as a dialysis technician.  I am not sure how it goes with the hospitals at night, if they have techs on-call or if they have nurses take care of the patients.  However, there are over-night clinics that have part-time status where I live (Minnesota), actually there are positions right now that need PCTs because they can't keep people... just five minutes walking distance from my apartment.  Possibly a few clinics near you.  The thing is these over-night dialysis tech jobs still run the same time span as for day shifts, minimum 10-12 hours.  A lot of turn over in dialysis, something to keep an eye out for on indeed.com or something.  

Here is a copy and paste from my PA school's webpage about dPCE:  The scribe job was recently added at my school, but is still ranked lower than the others at many other places, something to keep in mind.

"We recommend 2,000 hours of paid, direct, hands-on clinical patient care.  Direct patient care includes roles in which you are responsible for things such as taking vital signs, administering medication, charting, drawing blood, tending to personal cares, dressing wounds, etc.

Some examples of competitive patient care experience include: nursing, scribe, certified nursing assistant, medical assistant, patient care assistant, paramedic, EMT, military medic, respiratory therapist, athletic trainer, radiology technician, mental health worker, laboratory/medical technician, clinical researcher, medical interpreter, and community health worker/health educator."

Sounds like your question here...would fall under tending to personal cares and handling medications.  According to my program, yes to your question.

I got my health care experience through working at a plasma donation center. You can do phlebotomy and take vital signs with no previous training. I have had multiple coworkers get accepted to PA school using this as their HCE. You should look into it if you have a plasma center near you.

• Like 1

If you pre-PA's want to have less stress AFTER you graduate school and start working I would recommend higher level HCE such as RN, EMT-P, RRT as these will make you shine when trying to get a job plus actually help you when you are thrown to the wolves your first or two year out of school. If you plan on NOT doing a residency and want to go into ER/UC/ICU, etc (or really any specialty) then it would behoove you to have high level HCE and not sell yourself short just cause you want to get into school. 

• Upvote 1
On 3/23/2018 at 8:55 PM, Aly711 said:

I got my health care experience through working at a plasma donation center. You can do phlebotomy and take vital signs with no previous training. I have had multiple coworkers get accepted to PA school using this as their HCE. You should look into it if you have a plasma center near you.

This sounds like a really terrible idea just to get "hours", the point of the PA profession (read the history) was to train army medics with HIGH LEVEL of HCE and not just vitals and drawing blood. A monkey could do vitals and draw blood. Look at your post above, "You can do phlebotomy and take vital signs with no previous training." Your experience (at least to me) would be NOTHING and actually turn me away from your application as you did the bare minimum to get in. Now this is fine for some schools, but for myself (I am only 4 years out of school) I would laugh at this. You need to be able to look at a patient and assess them from the doorway, are they sick? stable? etc. Please do yourself a favor (and everyone else reading this) look into RN, RRT, EMT-P (paramedic) (not basic). Good luck!

• Downvote 2
  • 2 years later...
On 3/27/2018 at 9:38 AM, camoman1234 said:

This sounds like a really terrible idea just to get "hours", the point of the PA profession (read the history) was to train army medics with HIGH LEVEL of HCE and not just vitals and drawing blood. A monkey could do vitals and draw blood. Look at your post above, "You can do phlebotomy and take vital signs with no previous training." Your experience (at least to me) would be NOTHING and actually turn me away from your application as you did the bare minimum to get in. Now this is fine for some schools, but for myself (I am only 4 years out of school) I would laugh at this. You need to be able to look at a patient and assess them from the doorway, are they sick? stable? etc. Please do yourself a favor (and everyone else reading this) look into RN, RRT, EMT-P (paramedic) (not basic). Good luck!

Idk if anyone has told you this before, but you are really rude.

• Like 1
On 11/9/2020 at 10:46 PM, 2020wegotthis said:

On 11/9/2020 at 10:46 PM, 2020wegotthis said:

Truthfulness is rude? Helping you about is rude? Because you might not like what I saw but this is the best path to succeed as a PA. I have seen several PAs that didnt have prior high level HCE and they struggled for a year or more to get their feet wet and a new PA. I am not changing my tune to make you feel better. Most experienced PAs will agree with my statement. If you think this comment was rude then you probably wont make it as a PA. Good luck.

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

• Similar Content

• By ChristianPrePA
      Personally, I'm gaining my patient-care hours from working as a Physical Therapist Assistant, but other great options are: EMT, CNA/CMA, RA, ER tech, Scribe, etc. I've also considered being a scribe, ER tech, pharm tech, and EMT.
      I made a short video discussing my picks for the "Top 5 PCE jobs for Pre-PAs / PA school.
      Let me know if I missed any. What are you guys doing to gain PCE hours? Any ideas/suggestions/feedback would be greatly appreciated!
    • By surgblumm
      What’s In A Spoonful?

Robert M. Blumm, MA, PA-C Emeritus, DFAAPA

Being a grandfather or grandmother is one of life’s most rewarding experiences. While reliving the early stages of life with our grandchildren we can enjoy their movies and get a second chance at some which we may have missed. I was recently watching Mary Poppins with my grandkids and found it delightful and uplifting. For days, I was rehashing that famous song in my head, “just a spoonful of sugar helps the medicine go down.” As a clinician, I paused with some concern as I had to ask myself: What, actually, is a spoonful?

It is in the purview of physicians, NPs and PAs in pediatrics, family practice, internal medicine, urgent care, emergency medicine, retail health care and geriatrics to examine their patients who present with symptoms of a cold, allergy symptoms or a cough, resulting with a note recommending some form of OTC medicine. We commonly use the phrase “one or two teaspoons” and either document (or fail) to document this dosage.  Either way, the potential for creating an iatrogenic poisoning or a drug reaction is quite high. It is always important to know what medications your patient may be taking - a critical practice which should accompany every patient encounter, whether new or not. Most PAs and NPs enter healthcare with the idea of working for 30-40 years but prudent attention to malpractice prevention can never start too early. Thorough, thoughtful practice can illuminate cross-sensitivity to prescribed OTC drugs. We need to look at OTCs as carefully as we would any prescribed medication, and it is equally important to know the age and weight of your patient, as a spoonful may be too little or too much. If the patient is a pediatric patient, the parent may be confused by the description of a spoonful and give a tablespoon, a teaspoon or a pediatric feeding spoonful. Children who are taking a drug, particularly an OTC drug, have a much greater possibility of a reaction.

For many of our senior citizens on polypharmacy, there are many potential drug-drug-interactions that will increase or decrease the effectiveness of their other medications making way for hypertension, severe hypotension or rhythm changes related to their cardiac drugs.  For a moment, consider the patient on Coumadin. This drug has restrictions on other medications, as well as foods and alcohol which can greatly affect the INR and create a life- threatening bleed in the brain or in the GI system. I was scolded by my cardiologist a few years ago for taking a class lll antiarhythmic with herbal drugs or vitamins and minerals. He made me wait an additional hour in his office, then had me step into his private room and asked me, “What is it that you don’t understand about taking NO additional supplements or herbs?” As a healthcare professional, he was shocked at my actions. These substances can interact with my prescribed drug regimen to the degree that I could have developed Torsade’s De Pontes.  He asked me if my need to take supplements - including fish oil, glucosamine and chondroitin - surpassed my need to live. His direct approach about my nonchalant attitude regarding supplements certainly got my attention!

Being careless can lead to a poor outcome for the patient, as well as a possible lawsuit. What can the collective “we” do to prevent a patient incident that is negative or life threatening? Check for other medications, review current drugs, look at age and weight and be cautious to write an OTC medication unless aware of all of the possible reactions. Is there anything else to glean from this? Another related concern is failure to document the other medications and to cross reference all contraindications, which are frequent causes for litigation involving PAs as well as NPs and particularly in the setting of the Retail Healthcare Clinic or Urgent Care Center. The same focus should apply to Telemedicine since it has become particularly popular during the pandemic. These concerns should encourage clinicians to consider how to best protect themselves, their professional futures and their families from litigation due to negligence.

Accuracy is the name of the game and is the mandate for all healthcare professionals but owning proper professional liability is the safest solution for potential error. It is not a coincidence that you are reading this today, but a heartfelt concern of a colleague who wishes all PAs and NPs a long and successful career. You do not want to create a life-threatening situation or worse. Our ultimate goal is to retire with professional pride and satisfaction – with NO history of careless nonchalance or, pardon the expression, “sloppiness”. Perhaps this “spoonful” of advice might help…

• By futurepa1998
      Here are my stats 
      Gpas when I graduated with a degree in Biology 
      Cgpa-2.93 sgpa 2.73
      Took 45 credit hours post-bacc on my own
      Those gpas were cgpa-3.93 and sgpa 4.0
      It changed my original gpas to a cgpa of 3.13 and sgpa of 3.12
      PCE hours as a CNA ~1900 by the time I apply 
      HCE hours as a Pathology Tech 1200
      Volunteer ~200 which includes a medical mission trip to Panama for a week, starting a HOSA club at my community college, did many leadership activities, and habitat for humanity projects 
      Shadowing~100 half in person other was virtual
      LOR’s- 2 PA’s, 1 MD, 1 from current boss
      Only thing I need to take is GRE

I know my gpas are low and it was from my sophomore and junior year struggling with personal situations and also recently learning I have ADHD which caused me to change completely how I study. I am 22 btw if that helps with anything. 
    • By PAgirl199
      Hi everyone!
      I am currently a PA-S1 in my second semester, starting clinical rotations in the fall. My program offers 8 core rotations: EM, Family med, Internal med, surgery, Peds, OB/GYN, Geriatric meds, and behavioral health with only one elective. Popular electives include: any surgery subspecialty (cardiothoracic surgery, neurosurgery, etc.), cardiology, psychiatry, orthopedics... and more.
      I was wondering if anyone had advice on picking an elective since there are many of these sub specialties I would love to gain experience in! if you faced a similar scenario, what helped you with making this decision, or does any one have insight on what may be best for post-grad life? 
      Thanks! 
    • By EKGTech2021
      Good afternoon everyone. My name is Daniel. I am an EKG Technician. I've been in college earning credits towards a Registered Nursing program which I'm planning on attending this August. This program has a lot to offer especially in the fact that it is taking place at a teaching hospital. My true ambition, however, is becoming a Physician's Assistant. I have been very conflicted regarding this decision because I've read in certain articles that there are some PA programs out there which prefer applicants have an RN lisence.  While others say they do not require it. Apart from that aspect, I understand that as an RN I'll be learning valuable bedside clinical experience. But yet I think to myself, why wouldn't I spend my time doing online courses necessary to enrolling into a PA program until I earn a Bachelor's Degree in Applied Science? While working part time getting my clinical hours as an EKG Technician or a Medical Assistant which I am also certified in. I would like to know some of your expeirences as new PA students. How many of you were nursing students before you made the decision to transition into a PA program as a career? Would you recommend a prospective student become a nurse before even considering becoming a PA? Or would it be better to comfortably go to school while working part time? I am thinking about this logically. 

Important Information

Welcome to the Physician Assistant Forum! This website uses cookies to ensure you get the best experience on our website. Learn More