shadowing a dermatology PA

I have recently been shadowing a dermatology PA. She has allowed me to do many things under her supervision including putting in stitches and shaving tissue for a biopsy. I am CNA certified and do not work for her practice. I want to give as accurate a description as possible on my application of my shadowing duties but I do not want to get her or me in trouble. Is hands on work something a PA is allowed to let me do? Is it something I am allowed to do with her and the patients' permission? I'm not quite sure what the legal rules are and could not find any answers online. I just want to make sure I do not write about anything that is outside of either of our scopes of practice!

• 2 months later...

I wouldn't put it. Shadowing is very specific and it only allows you to observe and absorb what is going on. It is not within your scope of practice to be doing those procedures, even if the PA/your patients let you. 

She could definitely get in trouble as it is her license on the line as well. If you were a current PA student that is a different story but shadowing is its own thing. Do not put that, schools will look at that as a big NO-NO. 

Archived