PAs that pursued a dual degree in MPAS/MPH

Hi everyone,

I'm searching for insight regarding pursuing a dual degree in physician assistant studies and master's in public health. I'm aware that that going this route usually takes a year longer because of the additional material that has to be assimilated. I'm not even sure what having a dual degree opens up in terms of career options. Is there a pay difference out of school? How would one benefit from having these 2 degrees concurrently? Although I am aware that having an MPH degree usually allows one to pursue research. Any wisdom would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

I doubt there is a pay difference anywhere.

A MPH may, or may not, give you a leg into administration/bureaucracy/research.

I have a MPH, but really only got it/used it as a tool to get into PA school.

I would suggest that there are only 3 reasons to get an MPH:  1) to help get INTO PA program (rarely needed),   2) for "old-school" PAs who got their BS in PA so they can list a MS, or 3) people who WANT to do Public Health (which really is exceedingly cool in my mind, but the pay is usually terrible).

4. IF YOU HAVE YOUR MIND SET ON WORKING WITH DOCTORS WITHOUT BORDERS. THEY ONLY TAKE PA, MPH FOLKS

5. IF YOU WANT TO SOMEDAY PROCEED TO A DRPH, WHICH IS A REALLY COOL GRAD DEGREE TO HAVE.

That being said, guess I am "old school" (Thanks Boats, not even 50 yet) I got BS #2 from PA school followed by a postgrad MPAS. would much rather have gotten an MPH as my post-pa school masters. It only clicked the box for having an MS and making me eligible for a doctoral program.

7 minutes ago, EMEDPA said:

4. IF YOU HAVE YOUR MIND SET ON WORKING WITH DOCTORS WITHOUT BORDERS. THEY ONLY TAKE PA, MPH FOLKS

5. IF YOU WANT TO SOMEDAY PROCEED TO A DRPH, WHICH IS A REALLY COOL GRAD DEGREE TO HAVE.

That being said, guess I am "old school" (Thanks Boats, not even 50 yet) I got BS #2 from PA school followed by a postgrad MPAS. would much rather have gotten an MPH as my post-pa school masters. It only clicked the box for having an MS and making me eligible for a doctoral program.

I was actually interested in Doctors without Borders! But I came across this on their website  "While we value the skills of certified physician assistants (PA) we are unable to accept this profile due to the contexts of the countries in which we work."

I guess I dont understand because they accept Nurse Practitioners.

9 hours ago, KJFuturePA said:

I was actually interested in Doctors without Borders! But I came across this on their website  "While we value the skills of certified physician assistants (PA) we are unable to accept this profile due to the contexts of the countries in which we work."

I guess I dont understand because they accept Nurse Practitioners.

PAFT had a dialogue with them a few years ago about this. They use NPs as RNs, not as providers. they will use PA, MPH folks in logistics, but not as clinicians.

Archived