I know this seems like such an easy question to answer, but I can’t seem to find it. I know a lot of PA’s say they make around $100k a year, but is that without bonuses? Do PA’s get paid time and a half for OT hours or are they just on a flat salary whether they work 40 hours or 60?

I’m interested in becoming a surgical PA, which I’m sure comes with some more offered (sometimes mandatory) hours than someone in something like family care. I’m completely fine with this, just curious as to how the pay would differentiate. With that being said, do you get paid more when working over 40, or is it a flat salary?

This varies by position and by specialty. I've worked both, and I'll never work salary again. Both of my PA jobs are hourly. Every minute I spend at work, I'm compensated for it. Anything I do over 40 hours per week is compensated at time and a half. It wasn't uncommon at my salaried gig for me to end up working well over a regular work day catching up on charting or paperwork and not getting reimbursed for my time.

The answer about 100k being base or with bonuses, that too will vary. It's important to take into account the entire benefits package and not just the base pay, though.

@beattie228 I wasn’t sure if most PA’s made like $90k with $10k worth of overtime or $100k salary not including overtime, etc. Thanks for your response! I’m all for the extra hours and helping, and not to sound selfish, but I’d definitely prefer to get paid more for the more hours I do over 40. That’s all. I work about 50 right now at my current job. Do you get time and a half for over 40 hours?

Archived