New Grad ED offer

I want to start by saying I feel like this is a solid first offer. I graduate in July and the employer knows I would not start until probably September due to time to take the PANCE and credentialing. This is their initial offer and I have not done any negotiation at this point. This is a site where I rotated in school and feel comfortable. Location is in NC. 

The first 60 days I will work beside an experience APP at a salary of $36.25 per hour. Upon hitting 60 days of employment I switch to a salary of $121,800 for 140 hours/month per contract. All hours worked beyond 140 paid at $72.50. 144 hours of PTO, 40 hours of sick leave, with PTO increasing to 160 hours per year at 3 years. 3 different insurance with med/vision/dental options for myself and family which I pay the premium. $2,000 CME allowance to use as I please, with current PA there saying all CME can be acquired for free through the employer. ACLS, BLS, PALS offered free of charge. All licencing payed by employer. 8 paid holidays. 401k offered immediately with match starting at 1 year. Full malpractice with tail. No overnight shifts. 

Overall I feel this is a solid offer at a system with a lot of internal fail safes to help teach a new grad how to become comfortable being independent over time. The ED volume is around 200 patients per day, with APPs typically seeing anywhere from 15-30 patients per day depending on volume and acuity. 

I appreciate any opinions. Thank you

Looks like a very solid offer to me. I would try to find out how much the insurance plans would cost you per year especially if they aren’t subsidizing in any way. Obviously the training salary isn’t ideal either.  However given that it is atleast a reasonable rate and your salary bumps considerably after and it is a short period of time I personally would be willing to let it be if I really liked the job. 

Looks solid, could you get health insurance through your partners job? Otherwise it can cost quite a bit for a family. In comparison, i'm a soon to be new grad looking at a ER job that pays $54/hr with full medical included, unsure of other stuff as i haven't had interview yet. Located in upper midwest

Archived