Jump to content

One Bad Prerequisite


Recommended Posts

Hi,

I am a first time applicant this year and I am looking for input in regards to my sGPA. I ended up with a C in microbiology and I’m questioning retaking it. With the C, my sGPA is a 3.56. If I could get an A in my retake it would level out to a B in CASPA, which would raise my sGPA up to 3.65, which is more in line with the averages of the admitted students for the schools I’m hoping to get into. My only courses to get B’s in were physics I, Genetics, and Organic II lecture, with the rest being A’s, so the C in micro really stands out. All of the schools I’m applying to require a C or higher in their prerequisites, but I’m just looking for opinions on if I should retake it this summer to prove to schools I’m capable in the course. 

Thanks!  

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Honestly, how much this effects you is likely going to be determined by your entire "application package", as it were; if you have a solid amount of patient care experience, some good PA shadowing, strong LORs and a good GRE score, then I don't see a C in a prereq being an issue or preventing you from getting interviews. A single C doesn't show a pattern of poor study skills or a lack of ability to handle rigorous course work. Your science GPA is not bad, and if your cGPA is in the range of your sGPA, then it likely won't make a difference; plenty of people have gotten in with a C or two. 

If the rest of your application is solid, I would apply this cycle with the intent to retake it if you don't get in somewhere (and this can serve as a partial answer to the interview question "What will you do if you don't get accepted this cycle?").  

Link to comment
Share on other sites

11 minutes ago, BearDown said:

I had to the same worries while applying... a "C" in Gen Chem II. I received interviews at 6 of 9 schools and will be attending school in July. My C was never mentioned.

 

Just make sure all your other ducks are in the row.

 

11 minutes ago, BearDown said:

I had to the same worries while applying... a "C" in Gen Chem II. I received interviews at 6 of 9 schools and will be attending school in July. My C was never mentioned.

 

Just make sure all your other ducks are in the row.

Thsnk you guys both so much! Everything else is good except my PCE...I’ll have 400 hours but I was a student athlete in college at the division 1 level so it was pretty much impossible to acquire any substantial hours. I will be getting my CNA and working this year in case I do not get in anywhere. Thanks again! 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 3/21/2018 at 10:12 AM, lctexas4 said:

Hi,

I am a first time applicant this year and I am looking for input in regards to my sGPA. I ended up with a C in microbiology and I’m questioning retaking it. With the C, my sGPA is a 3.56. If I could get an A in my retake it would level out to a B in CASPA, which would raise my sGPA up to 3.65, which is more in line with the averages of the admitted students for the schools I’m hoping to get into. My only courses to get B’s in were physics I, Genetics, and Organic II lecture, with the rest being A’s, so the C in micro really stands out. All of the schools I’m applying to require a C or higher in their prerequisites, but I’m just looking for opinions on if I should retake it this summer to prove to schools I’m capable in the course. 

Thanks!  

I had a C in microbiology, had an OB/GYN teaching the class. It was literally her first class she every taught, but I made better grades in much harder courses which made up for it. The PA ADCOM was happy that I explained the circumstance (without being negative toward the professor or University) and I was at least exposed to various concepts and lab work. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, camoman1234 said:

I had a C in microbiology, had an OB/GYN teaching the class. It was literally her first class she every taught, but I made better grades in much harder courses which made up for it. The PA ADCOM was happy that I explained the circumstance (without being negative toward the professor or University) and I was at least exposed to various concepts and lab work. 

Thank you! I’ve made A’s in biochem and should make an A in pathophys this semester..also made in A in all it chemistry’s except for Organic II lecture, so I’ve done well in harder courses. Truthfully my teacher was awful and I was taking other upper level sciences at the time as well as being in season for my D 1 sport. But I know you can’t blame a professor, and I’ve thought about how to describe my difficulties in the course and turn it into a positive. Thank you for the feedback though! I know I learned and enjoyed the class more than what is reflective by the C. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

Welcome to the Physician Assistant Forum! This website uses cookies to ensure you get the best experience on our website. Learn More