Can PA with revoked license obtain certification in other medical fields? Nursing, etc?

My best friend recently lost her Physician Assistant license in California after long and expensive litigation concerning whether she was properly supervised by a physician. Could she go back to school and gain certification in another medical field (nursing, tech work, etc)? She practiced for many years and is very knowledgeable. Aside from insurance/medical device companies, what are her options? Any informed advice is appreciated. She doesn't deserve what's happening to her.

She needs an attorney's advice to navigate this issue. There will be no hard and fast answer as there are too many variables.However time tends to be a great equalizer...which doesn't help in the here and now I know. I knew an ortho surgeon who went to prison for 6 years for Medicare fraud and dealing drugs who did his time, got his license and Medicare provider number back and was doing surgery again. Anything is possible.

Agree, lots of variables.  Was the "not properly supervised" issue not meeting the proper chart co-signature or was it a rogue PA practicing medicine out of their scope without any contact from the physician?  I agree, an attorney with experience dealing with licensure issues would be the way to go.  I would suspect loss of licensure wouldn't be from missing a few chart co-signatures and likely something more serious.  

Going back to school in attempt to get licensure/certification in another medical profession/field would be a huge gamble and waste of money if unable to then get licensed.  

Was her licensed revoked indefinitely or was there a period of time stimulation? 

Lots of ‘splaining to do.

To achieve the level of license revocation is indeed serious.

I don’t see any malpractice insurer or risk manager being willing to “give this a chance” and I don’t see ANY licensing board wanting to reinstate or grant licensure. Kind of a death knell.

An MA I used to work with was denied entry to RN school based on a 6 yr old charge for growing pot illegally. The school said they wouldn’t take her because no one would ever license her. 

Some stuff just never goes away.

Harsh reality. Some consequences are life altering.

10 hours ago, Reality Check 2 said:

Lots of ‘splaining to do.

To achieve the level of license revocation is indeed serious.

I don’t see any malpractice insurer or risk manager being willing to “give this a chance” and I don’t see ANY licensing board wanting to reinstate or grant licensure. Kind of a death knell.

An MA I used to work with was denied entry to RN school based on a 6 yr old charge for growing pot illegally. The school said they wouldn’t take her because no one would ever license her. 

Some stuff just never goes away.

Harsh reality. Some consequences are life altering.

When you penalize someone so harshly for a past offense, and remove their ability to better themselves and provide for their families, is it any wonder that recidivism back to crime is so prevalent in this country?

She paid her debt and was trying to move on, but Americans don't want people to just pay for their crimes, we want to keep on hurting them for as long as possible.  It's just ugly.

The risk of repeat offense is very high. Especially if one in medicine was cavalier and operated outside the lines.

I am not trying to ruin someone's life - they can do that all by themselves.

However, not many organizations or even individuals are going to be willing to put the lives and safety of patients or their livelihood in the hands of someone who broke laws, violated regulations and possibly continued to do so despite knowledge of such. 

The trust issue is huge. If you owned a practice or hired someone with this past - could you comfortably walk away from your office and go on vacation or even take a day off and not wonder what this person is doing? Could you ever let your guard down? Could you handle that type of mistrust and need for scrutiny for years on end? Is the life of a practice or your own license worth the risk of someone else? Most will answer no.

The most basic tenant is -- if it sounds fishy - don't do it. If you have the least suspicion or someone has pointed out that something you are doing is not above board - PAY ATTENTION - CEASE, DESIST - START OVER - MAKE IMMEDIATE CHANGES that take away any sign of continuing to do wrong. Save one's own arse. 

Continuing to function in any environment where your integrity is being challenged is dumb. 

So, again - some things have a harsh reality of consequence. 

Archived