Help needed in choosing direct entry PA program to attend

To PA's, professionals hiring PA's, and PA students:  I am a mom of a high school senior, and would appreciate input on the pros and cons of 4 direct entry programs.  Our daughter has done her interviews, received her acceptances, and narrowed down her interests to Rochester Institute of Technology, King's College, Duquesne, and Le Moyne (in no particular order).  We would really appreciate any insight, based on your experience, as to where she will be best prepared academically and professionally.  

Honestly, I would look seriously at tuition costs for these schools. The tuition for Duquesne was posted earlier in another thread (by camoman1234), and it is close to a quarter-million dollars in tuition for the 5 year program, which is outrageous (and doesn't include cost of living during those 5 years). Paying off that kind of student loan debt on a PA salary would be very challenging.

If your daughter is quite sure she wants to be a PA (rather than a doctor or some other profession), then direct-entry programs can be nice since they take out the stress of applying and interviewing later, but student loan debt could be crippling if the other direct-entry programs are similar in cost for the 5 years. 

http://www.duq.edu/academics/schools/health-sciences/academic-programs/physician-assistant-studies/tuition-for-pa

Another link that was posted, which is a price list of PA programs (and wouldn't include the cost of the undergrad years at the institutions mentioned):

https://www.thepalife.com/pa-school-tuition-2017/

I'm sorry I can't offer any insight into the schools themselves, but after comparing PANCE pass rates and quality of rotation sites for each school, I would probably go with the one that's cheaper; all will prepare her to be a certified PA. 

• Upvote 3

• 1 year later...

Another perspective:

How many adults today are still doing exactly what they thought they'd be doing when they were 17 years old? Not me. Nor our kids (now in their 30s and 40s). At age 17, here's what they wanted:

• My eldest son wanted to be an archaeologist. Today he is a project management consultant.
  • My daughter wanted to be a physician. Today she is a veterinary pathologist.
  • My youngest son wanted to be a journalist. Today he is director of marketing for a law firm.

Have a plan, but be flexible. Signing up to be anything at 17 -- especially without much exposure to the working world -- may not go well. I'm a firm believer in having a plan but go to college where you will interact with people with lots of different interests. Then see what develops. 

• Upvote 1