Just wondering if there has been any update of PAs practicing in Canada, specifically emergency medicine. Any clue on the scope of practice and salary? 

I just noticed this here...sorry about the delay.

Pay varies by province - I'm in MB, we're the best paid in Canada (thus far) - starting wage is about $39/hr and caps at ~$56-57/hr.  Ontario and AB cap around ~$45'ish/hr.  Not sure about NB.  

Scope of practice is flushed out where you work - varies from health region and even hospital, but usual things are needles and tubes, sewing, casting, joint reductions, sedations, etc.  

SK

Thanks for the response! pay seems a little less than one would expect in the US.. but given PAs are newer in Canada (to my understanding at least) seems appropriate. The scope I am surprised with a bit. Getting to throw a few tubes in and do some sedations is better than a lot of EM positions i know of here in the states. Thanks for the response again! 

No worries.

The reason the pay is lower is (a) we're newish outside the military and (b), at least where I work, most people are paid by the provincial ministries of health - there aren't many privately paid ones in Manitoba where I work...in Ontario, it's usually a split salary scheme - half from the province, half from the employer.

SK

man that cap for EM in Canada is well below where I started as a new grad in EM!

Do the benefits make up for the low pay at least?

22 hours ago, davidccs said:

man that cap for EM in Canada is well below where I started as a new grad in EM!

Do the benefits make up for the low pay at least?

Benefit wise - well, we get health insurance that covers most medications (they aren't free here, though general health care is), dental and some physio; usually decent amount of vacation time (20-25 days PTO, I get 5 days education leave and  a small CME budget), allegedly malpractice coverage from employers, though I carry my own, since I trust admins as far as I can fling them.  At least in Canada, half my salary doesn't go to health insurance - however, half my salary goes to income tax...which is where "free" healthcare comes from here, so pick your poison that way.

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

• Similar Content

• By surgblumm
      Thumper was a respondent on the Becker site and "Optimal" in this setting refers to optimal exceeded workloads which many of us have.
      Not unlike Thumper, I agree that this is an issue that has ramifications such as this study but affects many more caregivers such as the different techs, nursing assistants, PAs and NPs in the hospital setting and emergency room clinicians as well as surgical staff, including the surgeons themselves. The nurses are the first to suffer as a large group as they are understaffed and instead of a 6:1 ratio of nurse to patient, a night shift nurse can have a 16:1. Did the patients magically change their admitting diagnosis or are these the same patients with the same problem and the addition of poor sleep in their surroundings compounded with post-operative pain. They are under-treated, seen ,perhaps twice a shift,even if they are hitting the call button. From a NA standpoint,patients are not turned, properly fed or soiled beds or diapers are not changed adding to skin and soft tissue breakdown and decubitus ulcers. The nurse needs to be "The Flash" to dispense medications and these type of errors can be deadly. Yes, personnel costs money but the litigation's and need for additional time in the hospital at its own expense is far more. My mother-in-law was a DON at three hospitals and found this happening in all three and was frustrated by administrations refusal to hire more people. Surgical personnel are more scarce because so few are trained in this discipline and it is not unusual for a surgical nurse, surgical technologist, surgical PA or NP and the surgeon themselves to work more than 80 hours to a hundred hours per week. Let me prove this as a malpractice attorney and I would have a field day of serving the institution and the caregivers who legally are working while intoxicated due to lack of sleep. Do we really care? If these providers started a pact and documented these atrocities ,hospitals would be put out of business. As a PA who cares, I would join the pact because our patients are failing because of lack of revenue to pay employees but fat paychecks for administrators.
    • By Salesian
      Hello folks,
      I'm currently a PA-S graduating in a few months.  I'm posting in the general discussion since I wanted to get opinions from PA-C's, particularly w/ urgent care experience.  I've applied for a number of EM jobs, and am in the process of applying to urgent care positions as well.  I've decided work life balance is very important to me, and Urgent Care seems to fit the bill from what I've seen. 
      My question is, do you guys think Urgent Care is an appropriate field for a new graduate? I will have had 2 rotations in EM by that point, and will not be solo at any of the UC locations.  However, I've heard some members stating it is a poor choice, since you have more "autonomy" and need to have a good sense of what is high acuity and what isn't (which comes from experience).  Given that it fits the lifestyle I want, should I still consider it?
      Thanks!
    • By DennisTankersley
      The EMPA Fellowship at ARMC is currently accepting applications for its next class, which is set to begin in Nov of 2018.  This Fellowship is housed at Arrowhead Regional Medical Center which is San Bernardino Counties Trauma and Burn Center located in the city of Colton, CA.
      The program includes clinical and didactic education that is designed to provide PAs who are new-grads or new to emergency medicine an efficient and supportive training experience that will enable top-of-scope practice in any emergency department.
      In addition to over 40 hours of online EM education, Fellows will attend 4-5 hours of weekly lecture that is specifically designed to build upon primary PA education.  Fellows are also strongly encouraged and paid to participate in weekly EM physician resident lecture.
      Rotations include:
      Ortho Surgery (Trauma, SICU, Burn) Pediatrics Ob/Gyn Ultrasound Anesthesia Diabetic Youth Camp EMS The program now offers two options:
          1. 14-month Traditional track ($55,000)
               Over 60 EMPAs have graduated from the Traditional track and report being very well prepared to practice in a wide variety of ED settings.
          2. 20-month Doctorate of Medical Science track ($75,000 w/tuition paid)
              This is a new offering that builds on the Traditional track through a partnership with Lynchburg College in Virginia.  The EMPA Fellowship is lengthened to enable time to complete the DMSc coursework, and the tuition is paid by the Fellowship.  There are a select number of positions available for this option, and they will be filled competitively.  There are currently 12 Fellows enrolled in the DMSc track.
      All Fellows are eligible for a full benefits package including Health, Vision, Dental, 401k.  All lectures are CME certified providing more than 200 hours of CME.
      SEMPA and CAPA memberships are provided.
      EMPAFellowship.com
      Deadline for application is June 15, 2018
      Please visit the website and select Apply Now to be contacted by our program recruiter and to learn more about the complete application process.

• By DrewthePA
      Good Afternoon PA Family,
      I am an EMT on my path to physician assistant school and I am looking for someone to shadow in the greater San Diego County area. The specialty of the PA is NOT of the utmost importance, but if I had a preference it would be in ER, Pediatrics, or any primary care. However, I would be grateful for the opportunity to shadow a PA in any specialty. I am very curious, have great interpersonal communication skills,  professional, and most of all have a passion for PA medicine. Thank you for taking the time to read my post. If you have any questions, please do not hesitate to contact me on here.
      Sincerely,
      Andrew
    • By maybethisis
      Hi, 
      So here's the story.  I am beginning my first rotation and it is in the ED (no previous ED or UC experience).  My preceptors are all very nice and willing to help, but I can't help but feeling like I am neither measuring up nor reflecting my program well.  I wanted to get some feedback to gauge if this is a normal experience, as there are no other PA students at my site to compare notes with.  I received an hour training on the EHR and beginning the second day was expected to see a few patients on my own and present them to my preceptor with assessment and plan.  This wouldn't be a problem except that I am very slow in addition to having forgotten a lot of the medicine (I have a 3.8+ GPA from didactic year, but once I took the test most of the info seemed to blur into general confusion).  I have no idea what to do with the mass of lab results from the current and previous ED encounters, nor sure that I've ruled out even 50% of the serious conditions.  I am also very slow at charting (for reference, my program allowed multiple days to finish one entire SOAP or H&P note).  I am also very poor at multi-tasking, which is an awful quality for the ED.  I know I am trying and that I am reasonably intelligent, but this makes me think I should have stuck with some desk job rather than managing healthcare. For all of these reasons I can tell that I am a drain on the preceptors who are already busy. I get that I am here to learn from the preceptors, but can't help but feel that this is not how things should be.  I do ask for feedback, but the preceptors are SO nice that I can't tell what they truly think. I'd appreciate any advice, what's normal, whats not, etc.

Important Information

Welcome to the Physician Assistant Forum! This website uses cookies to ensure you get the best experience on our website. Learn More