Canadian scope/salary

• 2 weeks later...

I just noticed this here...sorry about the delay.

Pay varies by province - I'm in MB, we're the best paid in Canada (thus far) - starting wage is about $39/hr and caps at ~$56-57/hr.  Ontario and AB cap around ~$45'ish/hr.  Not sure about NB.  

Scope of practice is flushed out where you work - varies from health region and even hospital, but usual things are needles and tubes, sewing, casting, joint reductions, sedations, etc.  

SK

Thanks for the response! pay seems a little less than one would expect in the US.. but given PAs are newer in Canada (to my understanding at least) seems appropriate. The scope I am surprised with a bit. Getting to throw a few tubes in and do some sedations is better than a lot of EM positions i know of here in the states. Thanks for the response again! 

No worries.

The reason the pay is lower is (a) we're newish outside the military and (b), at least where I work, most people are paid by the provincial ministries of health - there aren't many privately paid ones in Manitoba where I work...in Ontario, it's usually a split salary scheme - half from the province, half from the employer.

SK

• 9 months later...
22 hours ago, davidccs said:

man that cap for EM in Canada is well below where I started as a new grad in EM!

Do the benefits make up for the low pay at least?

Benefit wise - well, we get health insurance that covers most medications (they aren't free here, though general health care is), dental and some physio; usually decent amount of vacation time (20-25 days PTO, I get 5 days education leave and  a small CME budget), allegedly malpractice coverage from employers, though I carry my own, since I trust admins as far as I can fling them.  At least in Canada, half my salary doesn't go to health insurance - however, half my salary goes to income tax...which is where "free" healthcare comes from here, so pick your poison that way.

• 1 month later...

I looked into Nova Scotia and got no response at all.  Finally, a secretary at the Nova Scotia Health System referred me to their nursing service 😞  My specialty is geriatric house calls, and we were ready to move to Cape Breton Island, where medical care is very scarce and the population is aging.  You'd think they would have been more interested.

CAPA has an active lobby in Nova Scotia...however, things are pretty slow to change there.  Frig, other than the military PA's there, I can't think of any that are actually practicing there that live there - most are in off shore stuff or in mining/construction/drilling sites...usually out of province. Talk to New Brunswick, as PA's are at least regulated there.  Pitch something and see if someone swings.

Archived