cover letter/re-applicant questions

Hi, I will be applying a 2nd time this upcoming cycle and I have two specific questions:

1. I noticed a lot of people on this forum mentioning the addition of a cover letter to the CASPA app? I am wondering where the cover letter should be added... since the personal statement section will already be filled out. Also, how long should it be and how should it be different than the personal statement? 

2. One of the additions to my application this year will be my CNA certification, which I received in January. However, I still have not been able to get an actual CNA/PCT job, I am in the process of looking for one as I am currently working elsewhere and am also taking a microbiology class+lab. Would it look bad if I do not have many work hours as a CNA/PCT once I start applying to schools? I already have ~3000 hours of HCE from my job as a chiropractic assistant and my various volunteering experiences. I thought it would be a good idea to get a CNA certification and work a resource/PRN position in a hospital to get more clinical experience, but I do not want it to seem like I am not utilizing my new certification. 

Any feedback or advice would be very much appreciated. Thanks! 

Archived