Devastated. Rejected from PA school

Hello everyone, as the title indicates, I got rejected from PA school. It was my first year applying and there were 3 programs that I applied to and received 1 interview invite but was rejected from it. I can't help but be really devastated right now. I know I'm not the only one going through this and that I should have applied to more schools (I couldn't because I didn't have a lot of HCE during the time I applied). I feel as though my stats are good. My undergrad GPA is 3.5 and my science GPA is a 3.7. I have been working as a CNA in a hospital and have accrued about 1,500 hours already and I have shadowed a PA in the surgery department over a span of few months (about 60 hours total) and currently I am shadowing a physician, which I have been doing for 7 months now. I have not taken the GRE which also limited the schools that I could apply to but I am planning on taking the GRE for this cycle. Is there anything else I can do to increase my chances of getting in? Also, how can I better prepare for the interview? I bought a book to help me prepare when I interviewed this year but I think I just suck at interviews and get super nervous. Any tips would be helpful.

Devastation is part of the process. I was clueless when I reached the end of the cycle where I was rejected from all 10 programs I applied to (interviewed at 2). Give it some time and you'll be back to normal. 

I agree with the above; continue gaining HCE and improve your overall application. You do not want to re-apply when you've made little to no changes in your candidacy. You might think you suck at interviews but we are our own worse critic. Keep at it and your time will come. It's fairly common for many to get in after multiple cycles.

5 hours ago, blee100 said:

Did you apply early ? Like mid May or June

I applied the first week of May. Funny thing is, I submitted 1 month prior to one program's deadline and was able to get an interview...at the interview I was told there were 6 seats left and there were 18 interviews during the morning session and another 18 in the afternoon. Don't know what the deal was for the other 9 programs I submitted early to.

Oops....just realized that your question may have been directed towards to OP.

20 hours ago, blee100 said:

Honesly I dont see the point of wasting your money if you apply that late. 

This is true for SOME programs, perhaps many if their deadlines are early/mid fall, but I applied in August and had 4 interview invites and was accepted. So it's not a "waste of money" for everyone. I agree that applying early is best, and certainly since we're talking about reapplying, then apply as soon as the cycle opens. But I don't want others to read this and get discouraged from applying later in the cycle if they need to. 

To the OP: Definitely take the GRE, and continue to gain PCE experience. Your GPA looks good. My best advice for interviewing is to practice, practice, practice. If you get nervous, practice answering the important questions (why do you want to be PA, what sets you apart, strengths/weaknesses, etc.) with any friend or family member who will tolerate it. You just need to get comfortable talking about these things in a normal conversation. Interviews are all about getting to know you, so if you're nervous and give them stiff responses, they can't see YOU, they just see a nervous applicant. Practice talking about these things in a way that feels comfortable and easy to you. 

Archived