Pacific University 2018-19 Application Cycle

[mention=141205]KBPA88[/mention] when did interviews seem to start for your class?

The first interview was held at the end of October. They are 4 interview days in total. One in October, two in November, and one in December.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Replies 215
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • 2 weeks later...
8 hours ago, Bloodparrot444 said:

To calculate your last 45 credit hour GPA, do you use the last 45 credit hours from your undergrad, or include the classes you took after your undergrad? Does anyone have any insight on this? Thank you!!

Application verified 8/6!

It's the most recent 45 you've taken! They're looking for an upward trend, including post-undergrad classes.

Just got my "application complete" from Pacific! I submitted my application on 7/31, but my last transcript didn't arrive until yesterday. Verified in less than 12 hours, plus an email from Pacific this morning ? SO glad Pacific isn't on rolling admissions like every other program I applied to so late in the cycle.

Stats:

Oregon native and current resident

BCP GPA: 3.82

Overall GPA: 3.84

PCE: >6000 (4 years as a CNA)

HCE: ~500 (Volunteer with Providence Hospice and OHSU)

Good luck to everyone!!

On 5/16/2018 at 10:02 AM, hmtpnw said:

So I went to the open house last night and got a lot of info on the program, some of it surprising. I thought I would summarize things here in case it was helpful to other applicants this cycle.

• The number one priority at Pacific is GPA. Although their cut off is a 3.0, it was suggested not to apply without at least a 3.4. Of 2200 applications, only about 700 meet their soft GPA requirements and the rest they screen out. Both BCP GPA and last 45 semester credits are weighted equally, and more or less these two number should average to a 3.6 or above to be considered a competitive applicant. 
  • They will only read two LORs. It was stressed that they want to see letters from clinicians or supervisors in the medical field. If you have five letters, the two strongest medical letters will be selected and read as part of the application. Even if you have a strong academic letter and two weaker medical letters, they will toss the academic letter. Because they prefer high GPA applicants who are already obviously academically strong, at this point they just want to hear how those in the medical field view your abilities. 
  • Once your application is verified and sent over to Pacific, they will not look at updates. After verification your app is printed and it is not revisited. Any updates over the application cycle will not be viewed.
  • Pacific doesn't use rolling admissions. They start offering interviews in September, about two weeks after the deadline. There is supposedly no benefit to early submission and all applicants verified by September 1st are considered for interviews.
  • Interviews are offered on Saturdays in October, November and December. There will be four interview days this year. On each date about a quarter of the class is admitted.  
  • You will receive an acceptance email in about 3 - 5 days, usually the Tuesday or Wednesday following your interview day, if you were accepted and likely a phone call as well. Deposit is $1,000 and you have two weeks to accept or decline the offer. 

Those are the main things that stood out to me! If anyone has specific questions I would be happy to try to answer them. Good luck to everyone this cycle! 

@hmtpnw 

For prerequisites...

• Year-long series of General Chemistry with labs (may not be introductory courses, upper level may be substituted)
  • 1 Organic or Biochemistry course (lab not required, may not be a combined course)

Do you happen to know if a year long series of Organic Chemistry covers bullet #1? Then cover bullet #2 with Biochemistry

17 minutes ago, atn2797 said:

@hmtpnw 

For prerequisites...

• Year-long series of General Chemistry with labs (may not be introductory courses, upper level may be substituted)
  • 1 Organic or Biochemistry course (lab not required, may not be a combined course)

Do you happen to know if a year long series of Organic Chemistry covers bullet #1? Then cover bullet #2 with Biochemistry

You could definitely use biochemistry for bullet number two, but as far as using organic chemistry for bullet number one I would recommend asking Leah Baldwin and emailing admissions directly.

Anytime that I have contacted Pacific I have gotten responses within 24 to 48 hours. You may even be able to call them. 

• 2 weeks later...
On 8/8/2018 at 6:35 PM, atn2797 said:

@hmtpnw 

For prerequisites...

I just spoke with Leah Baldwin and for bullet #1 they only want Gen. Chem. (but not Intro. to Gen. Chem.) and you should not use an Orgo. sequence here. For bullet #2 you can use Orgo. or Biochem., whichever is a higher grade. 

1 minute ago, Jeninapascua said:

Hey guys!

Anyone heard back about interviews yet?

Pacific doesn't use rolling admissions. They generally don’t start reviewing applications until after the September 1st deadline. Then they should start offering interviews in mid September. 

• 3 weeks later...
38 minutes ago, hmtpnw said:

No word yet.

I would expect invites to start going out this week or next week. I’m tempted to email Leah and ask when they’ll start sending them, but I don’t wanna be that person ?

Our class did not begin receiving invites until the last week of September! It will be soon ? Can't wait to meet some of you on interview day! 

1 hour ago, KBPA88 said:

Our class did not begin receiving invites until the last week of September! It will be soon ? Can't wait to meet some of you on interview day! 

Thanks so much for sharing! Makes it easier to stop obsessively checking emails every second searching for an invite ? 

On 5/16/2018 at 11:02 AM, hmtpnw said:

So I went to the open house last night and got a lot of info on the program, some of it surprising. I thought I would summarize things here in case it was helpful to other applicants this cycle.

• The number one priority at Pacific is GPA. Although their cut off is a 3.0, it was suggested not to apply without at least a 3.4. Of 2200 applications, only about 700 meet their soft GPA requirements and the rest they screen out. Both BCP GPA and last 45 semester credits are weighted equally, and more or less these two number should average to a 3.6 or above to be considered a competitive applicant. 
  • They will only read two LORs. It was stressed that they want to see letters from clinicians or supervisors in the medical field. If you have five letters, the two strongest medical letters will be selected and read as part of the application. Even if you have a strong academic letter and two weaker medical letters, they will toss the academic letter. Because they prefer high GPA applicants who are already obviously academically strong, at this point they just want to hear how those in the medical field view your abilities. 
  • Once your application is verified and sent over to Pacific, they will not look at updates. After verification your app is printed and it is not revisited. Any updates over the application cycle will not be viewed.
  • Pacific doesn't use rolling admissions. They start offering interviews in September, about two weeks after the deadline. There is supposedly no benefit to early submission and all applicants verified by September 1st are considered for interviews.
  • Interviews are offered on Saturdays in October, November and December. There will be four interview days this year. On each date about a quarter of the class is admitted.  
  • You will receive an acceptance email in about 3 - 5 days, usually the Tuesday or Wednesday following your interview day, if you were accepted and likely a phone call as well. Deposit is $1,000 and you have two weeks to accept or decline the offer. 

Those are the main things that stood out to me! If anyone has specific questions I would be happy to try to answer them. Good luck to everyone this cycle! 

Hello! I know it’s been a while since you attended the open house but if you can remember - is the 3.4 recommendation only for BCP and last 45 or for cumulative too?

Also, has anyone reached out on when we should start hearing?!

Thanks!

21 minutes ago, ECB1994 said:

Hello! I know it’s been a while since you attended the open house but if you can remember - is the 3.4 recommendation only for BCP and last 45 or for cumulative too?

Also, has anyone reached out on when we should start hearing?!

Thanks!

From my understanding they’re primarily looking at last 45 and BCP with less of a focus on cumulative. Pacific is know for focusing on more recent coursework. 

From other posters, I would expect to start hearing back next week. 

Just got an interview invite for Oct. 20th!!! So happy right now. Good luck, friends!! [emoji106]

Congratulations! I remember that was an amazing feeling! If you have any questions at all please feel free to reach out [emoji4]

FYI for everyone else: the interview dates this year are October 20th, November 10th and December 1st.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Archived