NussPA31

Pacific University 2018-19 Application Cycle

It's almost that time to start submitting applications for the upcoming cycle. I interviewed last year at Pacific (loved the school and location), and have been on their waitlist since last November. I will be applying again soon.

Is there anyone here looking at applying a second time who interviewed at Pacific last year?

The Ultimate Guide to Getting Into Physician Assistant School, Fourth Edition

I am applying this cycle for the first I hope it goes well. Good luck to you !

First time applicant to Pacific here. Wishing you luck on getting off that waitlist! 

Would love to know more about your experience interviewing if you don’t mind sharing? Anything in particular you wish you’d done differently or plan to do differently if you don’t get off the waitlist? 

Almost ready to submit my application! It's always hard to know what to write on the supplemental applications...that's my reason for procrastinating anyway :) First time applicant but Pacific is definitely my first choice! Cheers y'all!

Submitted and verified CASPA 5/8

Supp app was done about 5 days before that.

Have not heard anything about Pacific receiving my application yet.

Good luck everyone

I am planning to wait to apply to Pacific to accrue more volunteer and PCE hours over the coming months. I found this on their website the other day:

Q: Is Pacific University on rolling admissions?

A: No, we are not on rolling admissions. An applicant is not more competitive if they submit their materials early. All applicants who meets the deadlines will have the same chance at an interview.

• Upvote 1

Oh also, anyone going to the information night on Tuesday?

Supplimental completed on 5/12

CASPA verified on 5/14

Email from Pacific stating that my application was complete on 5/15

Good luck to everyone applying this cycle!

Edited by TayPrePA

So I went to the open house last night and got a lot of info on the program, some of it surprising. I thought I would summarize things here in case it was helpful to other applicants this cycle.

• The number one priority at Pacific is GPA. Although their cut off is a 3.0, it was suggested not to apply without at least a 3.4. Of 2200 applications, only about 700 meet their soft GPA requirements and the rest they screen out. Both BCP GPA and last 45 semester credits are weighted equally, and more or less these two number should average to a 3.6 or above to be considered a competitive applicant. 
  • They will only read two LORs. It was stressed that they want to see letters from clinicians or supervisors in the medical field. If you have five letters, the two strongest medical letters will be selected and read as part of the application. Even if you have a strong academic letter and two weaker medical letters, they will toss the academic letter. Because they prefer high GPA applicants who are already obviously academically strong, at this point they just want to hear how those in the medical field view your abilities. 
  • Once your application is verified and sent over to Pacific, they will not look at updates. After verification your app is printed and it is not revisited. Any updates over the application cycle will not be viewed.
  • Pacific doesn't use rolling admissions. They start offering interviews in September, about two weeks after the deadline. There is supposedly no benefit to early submission and all applicants verified by September 1st are considered for interviews.
  • Interviews are offered on Saturdays in October, November and December. There will be four interview days this year. On each date about a quarter of the class is admitted.  
  • You will receive an acceptance email in about 3 - 5 days, usually the Tuesday or Wednesday following your interview day, if you were accepted and likely a phone call as well. Deposit is $1,000 and you have two weeks to accept or decline the offer. 

Those are the main things that stood out to me! If anyone has specific questions I would be happy to try to answer them. Good luck to everyone this cycle! 

Edited by hmtpnw

Thanks for the info @hmtpnw! I will be submitting my application this week, and Pacific is my number one choice! Waiting until September to hear anything is definitely going to be difficult ! Good luck to everyone applying this cycle, this is my first time !