Pacific University 2018-19 Application Cycle

It's almost that time to start submitting applications for the upcoming cycle. I interviewed last year at Pacific (loved the school and location), and have been on their waitlist since last November. I will be applying again soon.

Is there anyone here looking at applying a second time who interviewed at Pacific last year?

• 3 weeks later...
  • Replies 215
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • 3 weeks later...

First time applicant to Pacific here. Wishing you luck on getting off that waitlist! 

Would love to know more about your experience interviewing if you don’t mind sharing? Anything in particular you wish you’d done differently or plan to do differently if you don’t get off the waitlist? 

• 2 weeks later...

I am planning to wait to apply to Pacific to accrue more volunteer and PCE hours over the coming months. I found this on their website the other day:

Q: Is Pacific University on rolling admissions?

A: No, we are not on rolling admissions. An applicant is not more competitive if they submit their materials early. All applicants who meets the deadlines will have the same chance at an interview.

So I went to the open house last night and got a lot of info on the program, some of it surprising. I thought I would summarize things here in case it was helpful to other applicants this cycle.

• The number one priority at Pacific is GPA. Although their cut off is a 3.0, it was suggested not to apply without at least a 3.4. Of 2200 applications, only about 700 meet their soft GPA requirements and the rest they screen out. Both BCP GPA and last 45 semester credits are weighted equally, and more or less these two number should average to a 3.6 or above to be considered a competitive applicant. 
  • They will only read two LORs. It was stressed that they want to see letters from clinicians or supervisors in the medical field. If you have five letters, the two strongest medical letters will be selected and read as part of the application. Even if you have a strong academic letter and two weaker medical letters, they will toss the academic letter. Because they prefer high GPA applicants who are already obviously academically strong, at this point they just want to hear how those in the medical field view your abilities. 
  • Once your application is verified and sent over to Pacific, they will not look at updates. After verification your app is printed and it is not revisited. Any updates over the application cycle will not be viewed.
  • Pacific doesn't use rolling admissions. They start offering interviews in September, about two weeks after the deadline. There is supposedly no benefit to early submission and all applicants verified by September 1st are considered for interviews.
  • Interviews are offered on Saturdays in October, November and December. There will be four interview days this year. On each date about a quarter of the class is admitted.  
  • You will receive an acceptance email in about 3 - 5 days, usually the Tuesday or Wednesday following your interview day, if you were accepted and likely a phone call as well. Deposit is $1,000 and you have two weeks to accept or decline the offer. 

Those are the main things that stood out to me! If anyone has specific questions I would be happy to try to answer them. Good luck to everyone this cycle! 

Thanks for the info @hmtpnw! I will be submitting my application this week, and Pacific is my number one choice! Waiting until September to hear anything is definitely going to be difficult ! Good luck to everyone applying this cycle, this is my first time !

Thanks for sharing about the info session @hmtpnw. You brought some helpful reminders in there about their processes. In answer to your question about my experience interviewing last year--Yes, there are some things I would do differently. I would have to say however that the experience I had at each interview was very different. I felt that Pacific's interview was the "best," but even though it went "well" I am still hoping and aiming to hit it this year being much more prepared. For me this simply means interview preparation, again, again, and again. Mock interviewing, studying books/guides to interviewing, and preparatory writing are what I plan to do. You will likely have different needs/areas of focus as we are all different. Hope that helps.

• 2 weeks later...
On 5/23/2018 at 8:14 PM, caduceus727 said:

It sounds like you are almost at a disadvantage to apply early, since they are non-rolling and do not accept any updates to your application once it is submitted. Research helps..

I would say so. This is generally the case with schools who don’t utilize rolling admissions. Definitely better to wait a bit if you can! 

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Submitted my CASPA application this weekend 7/1 and was verified today 7/2. Hopefully will hear some news back soon. I did apply early but I'm hoping they'll take into consideration the continuation of PCE hours in my full-time position.

Good luck to everyone!

5 hours ago, leahschills said:

Submitted my CASPA application this weekend 7/1 and was verified today 7/2. Hopefully will hear some news back soon. I did apply early but I'm hoping they'll take into consideration the continuation of PCE hours in my full-time position.

Good luck to everyone!

Pacific isn’t rolling admissions, so you won’t hear back until the first few weeks of September at the earliest. 

If you meet the 1000 hour requirement I wouldn’t worry about your clinical experience. They’re less geared towards PCE and more towards academics, so as long as you meet their hour requirement you’re competitive. 

Good luck! 

5 hours ago, hmtpnw said:

Pacific isn’t rolling admissions, so you won’t hear back until the first few weeks of September at the earliest. 

If you meet the 1000 hour requirement I wouldn’t worry about your clinical experience. They’re less geared towards PCE and more towards academics, so as long as you meet their hour requirement you’re competitive. 

Good luck! 

Oh yes I know they're not rolling admissions! That's good news they care more about academics because the only reason I had been holding off applying earlier is to rack up more hours. I definitely do! Thanks so much for the advice ?

On 7/3/2018 at 10:45 AM, ConAJ67 said:

Submitted my application several weeks ago, first time applying to PU, but second time applying to PA school! PU's program looks great, I'm excited to hear back.

Anyone here from the Midwest applying? 

Best of luck to everyone!

Applied from Indiana ? Good luck!!

On 7/3/2018 at 9:45 AM, ConAJ67 said:

Submitted my application several weeks ago, first time applying to PU, but second time applying to PA school! PU's program looks great, I'm excited to hear back.

Anyone here from the Midwest applying? 

Best of luck to everyone!

Live in Illinois, first time applying.  Good luck to you and everyone.

• 2 weeks later...

Hey all! 

My name is Kristle and I'm a member of the 2020 cohort. I just wanted to wish everyone good luck with the interviewing process! I know it can be overwhelming but I promise it's all worth it! Please feel free to reach out with any questions at all ?

Archived