Hey everyone,

I'm in the process of starting my essays for this year's NHSC scholarship and was wondering if anyone had advice on how they approached the essays. My specific questions are highlighted below.

1) How specific were you in outlining your future career plans for the essay on the NHSC mission? Did you list HPSA sites and/or non-profit organizations you were interested in affiliating with? 

2) How did you approach the essay regarding your commitment to working in primary care? Did you take a narrative approach regarding life events or circumstances that led you to pursue a career in primary care, a philosophical approach rationalizing the importance of primary care, a combination of the two, or something altogether different?

Thanks in advance for any help!

On 3/21/2018 at 6:46 PM, OneDayPA-C said:

Sorry, I cannot answer the questions because I'm applying for the first time this year. When does the cycle open?

It’s open now! Good luck with the application. If you have any insights please feel free to share.

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

• Similar Content

• By Ejohns20
      Hi all! Starting this thread because I see some inquiries for the 2019 cycle being tacked on to the 2018 thread so I thought I'd start a new one. I believe applications for those of us starting our programs this year won't open until March and be due in May, but correct me if I'm wrong. 
      Let's do this!!
      Signed, NHSC hopeful starting her program in AZ in August 2019
    • By MissPrePAJess
      Hi PAs as Pre-PAs: I am fortunate enough to say that I have a choice of PA programs to choose from- Emory and Duke. I have visited both schools during the interview, and both are impressive. I’ll be moving with my husband, who will need to find a job wherever we end up, and it seems like Atlanta may have more opportunities for jobs in his field (landscape architecture). I’m thrilled but a bit stumped as to which to choose. I’d sincerely appreciate some insight from those that are familiar with the programs. What would be on your pro and con list? Thank you!
    • By moleashish
      So, you have been accepted to HSCP. Yay! Congrats! Go celebrate (reasonably of course). Then what to do,
      Here is what I have been learning over the course of 3 months of not getting paid. I fixed most of the issues now, so hoping to start getting paid the next pay period. 
      Step 1. Get your Military ID made, ASAP. 
      Step 2. Set up mypay account. It's a pain, however once you have your military ID, do yourself a favor and invest in a CAC card reader. You will be able to set up you mypay yourself. 
      Step 3. Update Bank info on mypay. Very Important. (For some reason PSD still hasn't gotten any info about my bank account even after 2nd submission of my paperwork). 
      Step 4. Hope and pray PSD gets these info including your BAH and start paying you.

• By nmb123
      Hi all, 
      I wanted to thank you in advance for any advice that will be given on this topic. I will be applying for the second time in April 2019 and I am kind of caught up as to where I should apply. My first time applying, I went more of a geographic approach (I applied to places I would like to live) while also considering how I compared to the previous classes. Out of 13 schools, I had 1 interview and I was waitlisted at that school. 
      I have been doing extensive research on school statistics and although I meet all minimum criteria and seem to be average for most schools, I fear that where I apply will be the wrong choices (I was pretty surprised at my lack of interviews). Did any of you have a system to narrow down where you wanted to apply? How do you pick schools that are the most likely to offer you an interview?
      Stats: 
      GPA: 3.5 
      Science GPA: 3.44 
      Direct Patient Care Hours: 2,150 (Phlebotomist, Medical Assistant)
      Indirect Patient Care Hours: 6,750 (Emergency Room Medical Scribe, x3 years)
      Volunteer Hours: 350 (Free Medical Clinic)
      Shadowing Hours: 80; Orthopedics, Trauma, ER, Internal Medicine 
      GRE: 308; W 4.5  
      Undergraduate Science Courses: Immunology, Genetics, BioChem, A&P, Cell and Molecular Biology, Biology, Chemistry, Organic Chemistry, Microbiology. 
      Other application boosters: From a rural area, 1st generation college graduate, both parents deceased when I was 16.

Thanks!  

Important Information

Welcome to the Physician Assistant Forum! This website uses cookies to ensure you get the best experience on our website. Learn More