Am i being too boujie as a new grad?

Hey, new grad here. Was offered a job for an internal medicine inpatient position in a nyc hospital

I was a little taken back by this salary, as my brother who is an mri tech makes more than this! Or am i asking for too much as a new grad and should lower my expectations?

base: 82k, 2k bonus at the end of first year 

CME: 5 days, 2K

401k 3%

insurance full coverage for dental/medical/vision

PTO: 23 days vacation 15 sick days, all federal holidays paid

was also offered unlimited OT Shifts at a rate of 65/hr

what do u guys think? Maybe im forgetting another benefit but i was basically told that yes the base is low but “their benefits far outweigh a place that wil givr u more money up front”

5 minutes ago, PA-SGuy said:

terrible offer. I think median salary  is like 90k for new grads, should be higher in NYC except for saturation plays a big role. Either way, 82k is awful. Do you have access to the salary report ?

Yep I agree thanks for helping me confirm that I’m not crazy lol. And I do have access to it.... 82 is like the low low low end! 

Other than the salary, everything else about the offer is pretty decent. I’d counter on the salary to see if you can get it up a bit. I’d maybe counter with 90 and hopefully they will give you 85-87k It’s good that OT is avaliable, which can help financially. Also you have a ton of PTO to start which is great. See if you can cash in what is left at the end of the year, that could help offset the lower salary. 

I have no idea what NYC pays 

but everyone says it is crap

the salary is not bad is they average pay is crap

MOST important - how is the mentoring and teaching???   

First job out = reasonable offer, good bennies, and THE BEST teaching you can find...

Email them declining the offer. Specifically state what it is you don't like about it (in this case, the base salary). They either will counter if they liked you enough or they will part ways and find a candidate willing to take low pay. Aside from the base salary, I agree the rest of the package is quite nice. A lot of PTO for a new grad.

Most important factor for a first job isn't pay or benefits, though. It's finding a supportive environment where you'll be taught the in's and out's of the field. You'll have plenty of years after your first gig to make the big bucks, but you only have a short window where you're allowed to be the fumbling new guy/gal. Future positions will have expected you to iron those out in the first couple of years. Just my $0.02.

10 hours ago, Nycpac33 said:

Alright guys next question, most polite/proper way to decline an offer? ?

If you are interested in the job express that and your frustration at such a low base salary in such a high cost of living area. 

If if you are meh about the job or have a lot of other irons in the fire then say thank you for the opportunity but you feel the salary isn’t competitive in such a high COL area and that you don’t feel like you can reach a mutually agreeable salary if that is going to be their opening offer. 

9 hours ago, Nycpac33 said:

So do you guys think its okay to express my thoughts via email? I was thinking it’d be appropriate and more polite to call. But hey, il sure take email vs a confrontation involving talking to a live human in real time lol

Email is completely fine, and my preferred method of communication for matters like this. Particularly when doing the financial negotiations dance. Gives you a chance to clearly sort out your thoughts without fumbling over your words. Also creates digital footprint, especially if a counter-offer is made on their behalf. Rather than saying "so and so told me over the phone they'd pay me X", you have a saved email showing the response. Plus, it allows the answering party to respond when convenient for them rather than during the time that you called.

On 3/16/2018 at 9:44 PM, LonguylandPA said:

my friend just got an offer at a major NYC hospital for 130k for 4 12s Internal med..

How many PTO, benefits, match, CME, etc? 130 for new grad in NYC sounds fishy and too good to be true... 

Idk how many hours the OP position is for, but let's say 40/wk. 23 PTO + 15 sick (who gets that sick every year?) + 5 CME + 10 holidays = 53 days "off," which is unreal for a new grad. Let's use 1656 [(2080 hours - (53x8)] for OP's position per year: 51/h (equates to roughly 102k) plus full benefits and match and overtime at 65 (although should be 1.5x at 75), which actually is decent for a new grad. Also factor in COL, training environment, etc. OP is it hourly? Most salary positions don't offer OT. Do you have the opportunity to moonlight or work another job if wanted? Some contracts limit outside employment.

On 3/19/2018 at 11:14 AM, Sed said:

How many PTO, benefits, match, CME, etc? 130 for new grad in NYC sounds fishy and too good to be true... 

Idk how many hours the OP position is for, but let's say 40/wk. 23 PTO + 15 sick (who gets that sick every year?) + 5 CME + 10 holidays = 53 days "off," which is unreal for a new grad. Let's use 1656 [(2080 hours - (53x8)] for OP's position per year: 51/h (equates to roughly 102k) plus full benefits and match and overtime at 65 (although should be 1.5x at 75), which actually is decent for a new grad. Also factor in COL, training environment, etc. OP is it hourly? Most salary positions don't offer OT. Do you have the opportunity to moonlight or work another job if wanted? Some contracts limit outside employment.

It has a decent benefits package from what he told me.. I think like 3 wks pto

and like I said in the post, 4 12s a week

5 hours ago, LonguylandPA said:

It has a decent benefits package from what he told me.. I think like 3 wks pto

and like I said in the post, 4 12s a week

Yeah, that breaks down to only about $55/h, which really isn't a whole lot better than $51/h... The $130k pricetag seems nice at face value, but when you break it down to more relevant terms, it really isn't a $46k difference but only maybe $8k.

4 hours ago, Sed said:

Yeah, that breaks down to only about $55/h, which really isn't a whole lot better than $51/h... The $130k pricetag seems nice at face value, but when you break it down to more relevant terms, it really isn't a $46k difference but only maybe $8k.

NYC pay is notoriously low for new grads. $55ish/hr + benefits package is a good deal for the area.

That hospital also offers the added benefit of a 6 month training program to bring new hospitalists on line.

2 hours ago, jeepgirl said:

NYC pay is notoriously low for new grads. $55ish/hr + benefits package is a good deal for the area.

That hospital also offers the added benefit of a 6 month training program to bring new hospitalists on line.

Agreed, but my point was that the salary discrepancy between the OP's position at 84k and the 130k one is that it wasn't vastly different once broken down into relevant terms and hourly rate. 

Archived