Follow up of "Is my new grad job a recipe for disaster" NEW UC OFFERS opinions greatly appreciated

Hey everyone. 24M Long Island New York here.

I want to thank you all for the amazing knowledge and support. I am so happy I quit the last job.. (Expectations of 75pt/10hr shift solo, no benefits, 1hr commute.. looking back on it I dont know how I even got involved in that)

So Ive been on three interviews since and I will admit im eager to start working already.

both jobs asked about why I quit and after a quick explanation, we both laughed about it...

Urgent care

3 12 hr shifs 65/hr + FULL benefits, CME, occurrence malpractice and 401k, PTO is in discussion but I am aiming for no less than 3wk plus holidays/cme. 30-40 min drive away

20-30pts/12 hr shift. Xray onsite w radiologist reading within 30 mins. EMR and id do my own charting

expectations: few weeks training then solo coverage with both doctors (husband and wife) available via text/phone.. I am still uneasy about the whole new grad solo component. Would It be reasonable to ask for a month or two of training..?

Instead of chasing jobs, better to figure out what YOU WANT TO DO.  Do you WANT to do UC?  FP?  Derm??  The most important part of being happy in your job is doing what you WANT to do.  Take some time to think about that...

UC job has red flags that you need to investigate.  What is typical patient load.  EMR?  Ancillary staffing?  You've seen enough of a poorly-run UC to know what to ask about.  But there's an additional red flag here -- the husband/wife physician team.  This sometimes works, but you know who would lose out if there is a disagreement between the three of you.  Is there an office manager to handle the bureaucratical things?  Or is the clinic run by the husband/wife??

Might want to slow down and keep looking....

17 minutes ago, Boatswain2PA said:

Instead of chasing jobs, better to figure out what YOU WANT TO DO.  Do you WANT to do UC?  FP?  Derm??  The most important part of being happy in your job is doing what you WANT to do.  Take some time to think about that...

UC job has red flags that you need to investigate.  What is typical patient load.  EMR?  Ancillary staffing?  You've seen enough of a poorly-run UC to know what to ask about.  But there's an additional red flag here -- the husband/wife physician team.  This sometimes works, but you know who would lose out if there is a disagreement between the three of you.  Is there an office manager to handle the bureaucratical things?  Or is the clinic run by the husband/wife??

Might want to slow down and keep looking....

I could see myself doing urgent care, Im fairly positive I dont want to do hospital setting/ER or family medicine, thats why UC appealed to me as a good go between. I did enjoy the responsibilities at my old UC job, just not the volume

Its 20-30pts/12hr shift. EMR and id do my own charting. Im aware of the husband/wife scenario but I didnt think it was a bad offer.. Im definitely going to keep looking but I wanted an opinion on these current offers as well. 

The bureaucracy is run by a company that manages 15 other of the branded UC centers and they admit that this company is sometimes a pain in the ass to deal with however "it wont be an issue, we can take care of anything that they give you trouble with"

51 minutes ago, charlotte said:

Since we're in the same boat I'll offer you a suggestion that others have made to me: ask to shadow for a day. I'm for sure going to do that with my next interview because it'll be so important to find out what a day really is like. They can say whatever they want to woo you but you have to keep your guard up, especially since you've been in a bad situation previously. Good luck!

Will do. I think the bigger issue im fighting myself with is the solo coverage aspect... now that I wrote it out and let it sink in, I dont feel comfortable being solo... I will see if they're willing to properly train me over the course of a few months but otherwise I dont think this would appropriately suite any new grad

FWIW, I turned down a solo offer of full time 3 tens/week as a new grad. solo and new grad is just a bad idea. you probably need 5 years before you go solo unless your background is super solid like RN, RT, paramedic, military medic, etc. I didn't do solo until year 5.

1 hour ago, EMEDPA said:

FWIW, I turned down a solo offer of full time 3 tens/week as a new grad. solo and new grad is just a bad idea. you probably need 5 years before you go solo unless your background is super solid like RN, RT, paramedic, military medic, etc. I didn't do solo until year 5.

I definitely wont be naive this time.. Its ridiculous! How the hell do practices get away with this/ how is this not illegal?

If I knew my loved one was going to be evaluated solely by a new grad for an urgent issue I would be rattled

Maybe your background is better than mine but I would have definitely killed some people if I had gone solo after a few months of intern year.  You don't know what you don't know.  Is that rash something benign or is it lymphoma?  Is that patient sick/not sick (can only come with experience)?  You want other people with experience right there with you.  Its better for your learning, and it's better for your patients.  IMO.

5 hours ago, lkth487 said:

Maybe your background is better than mine but I would have definitely killed some people if I had gone solo after a few months of intern year.  You don't know what you don't know.  Is that rash something benign or is it lymphoma?  Is that patient sick/not sick (can only come with experience)?  You want other people with experience right there with you.  Its better for your learning, and it's better for your patients.  IMO.

I agree 100%. I can promise you my background is no better

4 hours ago, charlotte said:

I brought up my concerns as being a new grad forced to go solo in UC after 4 weeks and the doc said, “The cord needs to be clipped. I was seeing patients alone in residency. You can’t be holding hands with another provider forever.” 

Ugh. So glad I’m out of there. All of their providers are solo new grads, mostly NPs.  

haha.. Yeah its definitely a no go then.. Like honestly though, were Physician ASSISTANTs... not doctors.. im tryna ASSIST A PHYSICIAN.. for atleast my first damn job

6 hours ago, charlotte said:

I brought up my concerns as being a new grad forced to go solo in UC after 4 weeks and the doc said, “The cord needs to be clipped. I was seeing patients alone in residency. You can’t be holding hands with another provider forever.” 

Ugh. So glad I’m out of there. All of their providers are solo new grads, mostly NPs.  

To some extent, I actually agree with this. You have to learn to trust your own instincts. Ideally you'd be eased into it in a supportive teaching environment, but I can definitely see a scenario where an unconfident PA gets too used to oversight and never wants to leave the nest, per se. I'm not saying that's you, and I do think a new grad shouldn't be 100% solo - just that I think at some point to really practice medicine, you sort of need to be pushed into the water.

You do, but not as a new grad. You don't have the assessment skills and you need someone with experience to walk into the room sometimes and be like "well this is what I'm thinking...". That's how most learning happens. If you keep doing what you're doing without anyone telling you otherwise, you'll never learn if you're doing something wrong, or grow as a provider. 

12 hours ago, charlotte said:

That just shows how much of a total jerk they are

They were NOT seeing patients alone as and intern (maybe at the end of residency but no way in heck as an intern)

They have ZERO comprehension of what a new grad PA has for skills - but want to hire the cheapest staff possible 

to make the most MONEY!'

Good Riddens!!

1 hour ago, lkth487 said:

How old is he?  Used to happen.  Not so much anymore except for specific instances like consults or certain outpatient things.  And more importantly, it's not a positive that it used to happen.  

yup, when I worked my first em job as an er tech (late 80s) the docs talked about how they solo staffed the ED as MS4s and interns.....scary....

Archived