2019 Applicants Post Here :)

15 hours ago, maxu3x said:

Applications can be submitted as early as September. Emails are sent for testing I think first week of February and mid February is when testing takes place. Interviews are about 7-10 days after that. Classes start mid May.

Thank you so much for the information.

• 2 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...
On 3/29/2018 at 1:26 PM, Ariel14 said:

Hey guys! Does anyone know how to be exempt from the intro to healthcare class? 

Does CNA certificate count? How does it work?

Thanks!

Hey! So I got the exemption and I had to take proof of BLS Certification and my ID. I also had operating room experience and bachelors from FIU. If you don't have BLS certification let me know. I am an instructor. 

• 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 2 months later...
21 hours ago, matron820 said:

Hey guys, I am currently in the Miami Dade pa program class of 2020, so if you have any general questions feel free to ask. 

Hi Matron820, first off congratulations on making the cut. It must be exciting to be on this journey. Thanks for reaching out. I see you were a first time applicant as am I. I am curious about your background and experience. Would you mind sharing that information? Also, how would you describe the school/personal life balance during your didactic year thus far? Lastly, any tips on how to prepare for the interview?

Thanks in advance,

German Villegas Jr RT-R-MR

On 12/10/2018 at 9:41 AM, JrPA82 said:

Hi Matron820, first off congratulations on making the cut. It must be exciting to be on this journey. Thanks for reaching out. I see you were a first time applicant as am I. I am curious about your background and experience. Would you mind sharing that information? Also, how would you describe the school/personal life balance during your didactic year thus far? Lastly, any tips on how to prepare for the interview?

Thanks in advance,

Sorry, we've had finals these past couple weeks so haven't had a chance to reply yet. Finals are over on Wednesday and ill get back to you. 

On 12/10/2018 at 9:41 AM, JrPA82 said:

Thanks in advance,

So as far as my background, I have been working as a radiology technologist/mri tech since 2009 (I see from your signature you have the same background). I have worked in hospitals and urgent care centers and by the time I applied I had just under 10 years of medical experience. Do no let this discourage you though in case you do not have an extensive medical background as some people in my class have little to no medical experience. My bachelors degree is also in the field of radiology and my overall gpa at the time of application I believe was around a 3.5. 

The didatic year so far has been hectic but in no way as bad as it had been described to me. I am married and have a 3 year old at home and the majority of weekends I still had time to go out with them a bit on the weekends. Dont get me wrong, there will be some weekends where you will have to focus all your time into school, but its not as bad as some people think. We had 5 days off for thanksgiving, 3 day weekends here and there, and as of now I am off until January 9th. I never had to pull an all nighter or anything extreme like that. Its a good amount of work, but if you manage your time properly it is certainly manageable and not too overwhelming. 

The interview is fairly straight forward and honestly should not be the primary focus. If you made it to the interview, they know you're a good fit, they just want to make sure you carry yourself well and are capable of taking on this workload, if you're going to prepare for anything, prepare for the entrance exam. If theres anything I missed or any other questions let me know! Good luck everyone!

17 hours ago, matron820 said:

So as far as my background, I have been working as a radiology technologist/mri tech since 2009 (I see from your signature you have the same background). I have worked in hospitals and urgent care centers and by the time I applied I had just under 10 years of medical experience. Do no let this discourage you though in case you do not have an extensive medical background as some people in my class have little to no medical experience. My bachelors degree is also in the field of radiology and my overall gpa at the time of application I believe was around a 3.5. 

The didatic year so far has been hectic but in no way as bad as it had been described to me. I am married and have a 3 year old at home and the majority of weekends I still had time to go out with them a bit on the weekends. Dont get me wrong, there will be some weekends where you will have to focus all your time into school, but its not as bad as some people think. We had 5 days off for thanksgiving, 3 day weekends here and there, and as of now I am off until January 9th. I never had to pull an all nighter or anything extreme like that. Its a good amount of work, but if you manage your time properly it is certainly manageable and not too overwhelming. 

The interview is fairly straight forward and honestly should not be the primary focus. If you made it to the interview, they know you're a good fit, they just want to make sure you carry yourself well and are capable of taking on this workload, if you're going to prepare for anything, prepare for the entrance exam. If theres anything I missed or any other questions let me know! Good luck everyone!

matron820,

I appreciate the information, it surely sounds like we have a lot in common with the exception of a bachelors degree. I know it's not required as of yet; in fact if I were to make the cut, I would earn one through the program. I just hope it does not hold me back from being selected. My background in health care is diverse, I have 11 years under my belt and my GPA is 3.3 (3.8 in science courses). I am studying everyday for the entrance exam; I want to stand out as much as possible. It's refreshing to hear that you still have time for family and the extra days off here and there I'm sure help with extra study time. Thanks again for the helpful info and I wish you and your family a Happy Holidays!

8 hours ago, JrPA82 said:

matron820,

I appreciate the information, it surely sounds like we have a lot in common with the exception of a bachelors degree. I know it's not required as of yet; in fact if I were to make the cut, I would earn one through the program. I just hope it does not hold me back from being selected. My background in health care is diverse, I have 11 years under my belt and my GPA is 3.3 (3.8 in science courses). I am studying everyday for the entrance exam; I want to stand out as much as possible. It's refreshing to hear that you still have time for family and the extra days off here and there I'm sure help with extra study time. Thanks again for the helpful info and I wish you and your family a Happy Holidays!

No problem! And don't sweat not having a bachelors degree, there's multiple people in my class who only have an associates. 

18 hours ago, matron820 said:

No problem! And don't sweat not having a bachelors degree, there's multiple people in my class who only have an associates. 

On 12/19/2018 at 6:22 PM, matron820 said:

Thank you so much for the information. It is nice to know you can still spend time with family. Can you share some of your study tips? 

23 hours ago, Go4goals2019 said:

Hi , study tips for the entrance exam. It is a lot of information to review. Just wanted to ask what supplemental material you used that you found helpful? Also, the approach you took to study? 

Thank you! 

I focused most of my energy into A&P. I used two main sources, I bought this book on amazon https://www.amazon.com/CliffsNotes-Physiology-2ndEdition-Cliffsnotes-Paperback/dp/0470878746/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1545951423&sr=8-1&keywords=anatomy+and+physiology+cliff+notes and as I finished each chapter I would watch the correlating video on crash course a&p on youtube. I also refreshed myself on other stuff mentioned on the mdc page but my main focus was a&p. 

On 12/27/2018 at 6:00 PM, matron820 said:

I focused most of my energy into A&P. I used two main sources, I bought this book on amazon https://www.amazon.com/CliffsNotes-Physiology-2ndEdition-Cliffsnotes-Paperback/dp/0470878746/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1545951423&sr=8-1&keywords=anatomy+and+physiology+cliff+notes and as I finished each chapter I would watch the correlating video on crash course a&p on youtube. I also refreshed myself on other stuff mentioned on the mdc page but my main focus was a&p. 

Thank you! Happy New Year! 

• 2 weeks later...